Clearing Yaupon under Oaks..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bmiller View Post
    I have a pretty thick stand of yaupon underbrush throughout my property that is beginning to take over and growing under the canopies of oaks throughout my property. I had an arborist tell me not to run a tractor or skid steer to clear around the oaks, as it will damage the roots of the trees, and to clear by hand if at all possible. Two questions:

1) if you clear by hand/chainsaw/commercial weed eater how are you cutting low enough to the ground to prevent little stems sticking up everywhere?

2) if you are going to use equipment, what’s the best that won’t damage the oaks - tractor with grapple or brush hog, skid steer with mulcher, etc.?

Appreciate the feedback guys.
    Thanks for asking this question as I have been wondering as well. I have a place in Rocksprings and always see the nice ranches with beautiful grass and clean looking Oaks with no undergrowth.

Comment

Originally posted by bmiller View Post
      It’s a bit of both. Wanting to clear out the yaupon around the house and pond for looks, and then thin some of the other taller stands so that they don’t choke out the oaks. In several places, the yaupon is as tall as the oaks.

There are lots of post oaks.
      Did you purchase the place north of Victoria? Let me know when you are down sometimes. My place is not far from there and I can show you what I have been doing with yaupon. I have done some spraying, some shredding, and some digging with my tractor and grapple.

Comment

Not sure of your soil type, but in the deep sand where we're at, I wrap a tow strap around a group and yank them out with my truck. Can usually clean up around 1 tree in 3 pulls.

Comment

We have done major bulldozing on our place, which included clearing yaupon out from under many tress. This was done over a year ago, and the oaks show no sign of damage. These are all post oaks however, live oaks may be a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
            We have done major bulldozing on our place, which included clearing yaupon out from under many tress. This was done over a year ago, and the oaks show no sign of damage. These are all post oaks however, live oaks may be a different story.
            I was told it can take up to 7 years for a post oak to die from it. Ive personally seen it take 5. They have energy stores that can keep them going depending on how bad the root damage is. Each year, that reserve gets lower until one spring they'll start to green up and then bam, dead in a week.

Comment

I have the same problem with huisache. The roots look like fire hoses, even on the small bushes. Neighbor says cut them and brush on diesel and Remedy or they will come right back. He is right about it coming back. For some reason where the cedar/juniper is thick there is no huisache, cut the cedars and the huisache gets in high gear and grows fast. Deer eat it some but not fast enough. Anybody else dealing with huisache, not to steal the thread just looking for new ideas. I have some areas that need clearing and I have let warm weather creep up on me again. Not lease, my own 50 acres.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                Loppers and machete.... unfortunately. I cut it back once or twice a year
                Same, I cut and spray twice a year, it always comes back!

Comment

Originally posted by txlawdog View Post
                  I have the same problem with huisache. The roots look like fire hoses, even on the small bushes. Neighbor says cut them and brush on diesel and Remedy or they will come right back. He is right about it coming back. For some reason where the cedar/juniper is thick there is no huisache, cut the cedars and the huisache gets in high gear and grows fast. Deer eat it some but not fast enough. Anybody else dealing with huisache, not to steal the thread just looking for new ideas. I have some areas that need clearing and I have let warm weather creep up on me again. Not lease, my own 50 acres.
                  there are different options for spraying. brush buster website below

Comment

Spray the trunk. Mechanical removal will work you to death and they will be back and thicker before you get finished

Comment

Working...
                    X