Longbow vs Recurve for a beginner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longbow vs Recurve for a beginner?

I’ve been really wanting to get into traditional hunting. Do y’all have any suggestions or recommendations. Thanks

I love both. That being said I think it may be an easier transition from compound to go with a recurve because the grips are similar. Like many trad converts I started with a Samick Sage - mine was 40#. I have not priced them lately but you should be able to find one for under $150. When I got proficient enough to hunt I moved to bows in the 50-55# range
    Last edited by jerp; 10-18-2018, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I shot a long bow at Cabelas it seemed real smooth.

Comment

Been shooting traditional for years, had all the expensive custom bows, my favorite is a black hunter takedown longbow, under $200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Vote for longbow here. I have both. I just like the longbow more.

Comment

I'm a recurve guy. I've owned some of the very top end longbows and I just don't shoot them as well. I wish that I could because I love the looks and light weight of a longbow.

I am a fan of the Samick Sages. They shoot pretty good for the money. You can buy a used one for less than a hundred dollars, use it for six month or a year, and sell it for about as much as you paid. I have four of them around here in several weights and in both right and left hand risers.

Comment

I like both. I'm currently shooting a longbow but have a recurve I love too. My advice would be shoot as many bows as you can before you buy one. When you find the one you like you'll know. It doesn't matter which style nearly as much as what feels right and you're comfortable with. If you can make it to any 3d shoot you'll have the chance to shoot a lot of bows.

Comment

I have recurves and longbows. For the last 20 years I've shot mostly longbows. They just feel better to me. That being said, I believe its easier for a newcomer to transition from compounds to a recurve. The sage makes a great starter bow. I would get a 40-45 lb Sage at your draw length.

Comment

Recurve. Just always use a stringer and get lighter than you think you need to work on form. 40-45# plus you can hunt with that. I've tried longbows and never liked the grips and shoot my recurves better. They are faster too. I like static recurves a lot.

Comment

There is no right answer to your question! It is all personal preference. All you can do is get a bow to start with, and then learn over time whether you are a recurve guy or a longbow guy by shooting a bunch of different bows.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'll put a different spin on your question:

You asked Longbow or Recurve for a beginner. Like everybody has stated, it is going to come down to personal preference. You do tend to see higher wrist grips on recurves and lower wrist grips on longbows... that seems to make a pretty big difference.

But to "spin" your question I am going to reword it this way "Beginner Longbow vs Beginner Recurve".

I fully believe that when it comes to bows in the lower end price range that we tend to label "beginner" mainly because the investment is smaller - The $150 dollar +/- range... that you can find smoother, more forgiving recurves than you can find a smooth, forgiving, less hand shock longbows.

Pick up a cheap longbow and it can really jack with you. pick up a cheap recurve and in most cases, it will treat you fine. The "samick" class longbows have been terrible in my opinion (just my opinion.)

So, if you are dead set on a longbow... my advice is to take the plunge and spend some money on a good crafted one. Buy used to save money. Skip the cheaper bows.

If you want a cheap bow to start off with, look at the recurves (like the samick) and then once you are hooked, you can still switch to whatever you like, longbow, recurve, whatever.

As a recurve shooter, I tend to notice less difference between high/low end recurves than I do high/low end longbows when it comes to shootability.
                      Last edited by SwampRabbit; 10-19-2018, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Good advice Swamp...
                        I think the recurve will let you hit better faster because the cut of the riser will allow better flight from a wider range of arrows...translates to much easier to tune. Tuning can be a problem if you are new to it and don't thoroughly understand the many variables, and it would be more of a problem with a longbow.
                        Once you are hooked you will probably end up with several recurves and longbows...right CRM?

Comment

Have any of you tried the Black Hunter long bows? I've seen some good feed back. Priced reasonably and could be considered "beginner" price wise. Grip looks more recurve style and shelf cut past center.

Gary

Comment

I’ve got one , best bow I’ve ever owned, it’s a takedown so recurve n longbow limbs interchange, I’ve had m all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                              There is no right answer to your question! It is all personal preference. All you can do is get a bow to start with, and then learn over time whether you are a recurve guy or a longbow guy by shooting a bunch of different bows.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Winner....

Comment

Working...
                              X