Hog Trapping Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog Trapping Tips

Hogs have finally reappeared at our place and they won’t come out for us during daylight. I’ve decided I want to try my hand in trapping.

This is the trap I’m considering getting.

Any tips?

I plan to bait it for a week or so before setting it. There’s an area by one of my feeders they frequent so I’ll put it there.

I plan to set the trap with the “root stick” method.

Anything else I should know?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HoustonHunter; 01-01-2018, 07:27 PM.

Corn and more corn. Also we have a few box traps and they are ok, but we catch a lot more in the corral traps.

Edit: pin the trap open until they start aiming in reliably so you can catch more at one time.
    Last edited by WTucker; 01-01-2018, 07:29 PM.

Comment

I've learned not to kill them inside the cage. For some reason it makes the cage useless for a month or so. Maybe smell/gland they release? Plus the fun part is having a few hunters ready about 50 or so yards out at different locations. (No cross firing) and then one guy (that's the fun part) has to open cage and the pigs run and its on. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ynotdrum View Post
        I've learned not to kill them inside the cage. For some reason it makes the cage useless for a month or so. Maybe smell/gland they release? Plus the fun part is having a few hunters ready about 50 or so yards out at different locations. (No cross firing) and then one guy (that's the fun part) has to open cage and the pigs run and its on. Lol
        Dude, I did your style.

Comment

Put your shooters at the trap, shooting straight away---safer that way. And, I had a trap with that type of door but changed it as the spring wasn't closing the door quickly enough. Got tired of that too and now it is a top-hinged door--my favorite type.

Corn and corn and corn---paint the ground gold. I also have a 50-lb bucket feeder sitting on top of my traps---sitting on a box so the corn hits the inside of the box and falls directly into the trap.

Comment

When I was trapping, I preferred a guillotine style door. I would back a cattle trailer up to it and load them in it. Strap a piece of plywood, a little shorter than the bottom of the door on your trailer, across the front of the trap before backing up to it. This way they don't run under the trailer. Take em home and shoot em in the trailer, then process.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

The trap I built a while back is similar to this. The only thing I don't like about the one you have is it doesn't appear there are any supports on the sides?

Normally what I do is put a stick to prop the door open between the corner of the trap and the side of the door. Pig walks in, pushes the stick and the door closes behind them. We've caught as many as 5 pigs at one time in a 4x6 trap this way.

For bait I've tried all sorts of things. Corn with a little diesel (worked) corn with strawberry jello (worked) and of course the old faithful straight corn (worked).

I think the key, like you mentioned, is to let them get used to it. Sprinkle a little corn outside with most of it inside at the very back and even behind the door.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
                Corn and more corn. Also we have a few box traps and they are ok, but we catch a lot more in the corral traps.

Edit: pin the trap open until they start aiming in reliably so you can catch more at one time.

Corral Traps are the best. Build one or two big circular corral traps with a one way door. Corn it up for a week or two and then set trap. Even after the trap is tripped, the others keep pushing in.

Catch the whole group instead of just a few.

Comment

Bingo, this is what I'd do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Hang a board halfway down across front door

Helps prevent catching deer

Comment

Following

Comment

I have the same trap & hogs were escaping until I got an additional heavy duty spring that made it impossible for them to pry open the gate. I also had to get metal spikes welded on the door to help prevent their noses from prying it open.

Comment

I would go with a couple of figure 6 traps over that style. Not as mobile but you can catch more at once with them.

Comment

Build your own out of cattle panel. The bigger the trap the more pigs you’ll catch. The re entry doors don’t work all that well. There a lot of videos on YouTube. One company in particular has a lot of great videos. All the videos how to use their $5000.00 trap. I just made one similar, with a mechanical trigger instead of a wireless remote trigger. The videos are very informational though, deffinately help me be successful

Comment

Bring a shovel when you set it up. Fill the bottom with dirt, leaves, pinestraw, whatever to cover up the wire. Mine don't like walking on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X