Shortening synthetic shotgun LOP quandary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to shorten the LOP on my semi-auto Benelli M1 20 synthetic stock by about an inch so it matches my 725 OU I had fitted 2 years ago. With all the rain we had this past dove season and past seasons, I want my foul weather backup gun to fit me better.

So.... do I pay a gunsmith $135 plus fuel x2 (dropoff and pickup )on a 2 hour round trip to shorten the LOP/add recoil pad

Or

Do I buy the belt sander, recoil pad, and pad jig for similar money and learn to do it myself for future pads that need to be replaced or done. And still have the belt sander and pad holding jig for that and other projects.

I’m a DIY type guy on most things but the gun thing is a little intimidating... YouTube makes it look easy but I’m not so sure. Not only would I need to cut the stock down I would need to grind a grind-to-fit recoil pad down to fit the new buttstock size. I already have the miter saw with a fine blade for the cutoff....

How many have done this? What would you do?

I can do it, but I learned on much cheaper guns than a benelli that's for sure!!

Its definitely doable for you. It's all in the clamping and setup for the cut. The grind to fit pad is all about the jig, patience and lubrication.

Just made sure you get the cut right on the stock. Having to buy another recoil pad because you ground off too much isn't a big deal.

Comment

wow, you really are short...do you stand on your tippy toes to help reach the birds

what is your LOP, 13.5"??

Those M1's have a following, I would be inclined to save the original stock to keep original if indeed in minty condition. Not sure how hard it would be to find a 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
        wow, you really are short...do you stand on your tippy toes to help reach the birds

what is your LOP, 13.5"??

Those M1's have a following, I would be inclined to save the original stock to keep original if indeed in minty condition. Not sure how hard it would be to find a 2nd.

It's not about height...it's about bulk....but yes...13.5 ish....

Very, very hard to find a 2nd stock in the 20....and they are very expensive if you can. Plus it is dipped. This gun isn't going anywhere before I do so I'm not worried about any market or resale.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
          I can do it, but I learned on much cheaper guns than a benelli that's for sure!!

Its definitely doable for you. It's all in the clamping and setup for the cut. The grind to fit pad is all about the jig, patience and lubrication.

Just made sure you get the cut right on the stock. Having to buy another recoil pad because you ground off too much isn't a big deal.

Good info...thank you.

Comment

Larry Potterfield has videos on youtube or on Midways website.

I dont know the structure of the M1 stock either.

Depending how much it gets shortened you need to see how it will affect the points where the screws attach to the stock.

Also if you cut off a lot it can affect structural integrity and may require fill.

Comment

Lets revisit this as I am really about to make the plunge myself because my stock guy had some medical issues that caused him to have to retire. I debated and debated but I have bought the tools to do the cut and recoil pad grind now (except the recoil pad jig) after having to go to my wet weather gun again this year a couple of times. I have watched a ton of youtube videos and I think I'm ready to jump off in it. The Kick-Eez recoil pad will line up with the top screw and the middle screw right on the nose so I'm not worried about them. The screw holes have a bout 2" of depth too. But it looks like the integrity of the stock will go away if I cut off the full 3/4" (now) I wanted. Just looking at these pics I can knock off about 5/8" before I hit the internal support ring inside. Would yall do that or take off the full amount and use a fill of some type? My miter saw is a new 10" 80T blade for the cutoff. I will jig and clamp it to keep it in place. Here are some pics of the stock...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0160.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	24634061

Name:	IMG_0159.jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	24634062

Name:	IMG_0157.jpg
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	24634063

Name:	IMG_1695.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	24634064

Comment

If you have to cut off all of the support areas for the screws, you can rebuild them with JB weld and then drill new holes for the pad screws. I've done that a couple times when cutting down stocks for kids. Pour one support at a time with the JB Weld, keeping the pour end down while it dries. Then flip it over and pour the other one. It won't look as pretty as the factory support, obviously, but it'll hold the screws and keep the pad in place.

Comment

Boyds gun stocks has good diy videos on the youtubes,, and i need to do it to my new rifle stock. This guy makes a jig and explains it simply.

Comment

Take it to the smith man. If he messes it up it’s on him. If you do then you get to buy a new stock AND pay the smith haha

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      Take it to the smith man. If he messes it up it’s on him. If you do then you get to buy a new stock AND pay the smith haha

Read further....my smith no longer does them due to heath issues and the other one I talked to doesn't do synthetic stocks because they don't like to jack with them.
                      Last edited by Smart; 10-22-2020, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
                        Boyds gun stocks has good diy videos on the youtubes,, and i need to do it to my new rifle stock. This guy makes a jig and explains it simply.

https://youtu.be/VM13KDNahJo

That's where I got my idea for a jig....great tip video..

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                          If you have to cut off all of the support areas for the screws, you can rebuild them with JB weld and then drill new holes for the pad screws. I've done that a couple times when cutting down stocks for kids. Pour one support at a time with the JB Weld, keeping the pour end down while it dries. Then flip it over and pour the other one. It won't look as pretty as the factory support, obviously, but it'll hold the screws and keep the pad in place.

I have plenty of screw area length and support. I just think if I go past the ring, I lose some stock support. I think anyway

Last edited by Smart; 10-22-2020, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            I have plenty of screw area length and support. I just think if I go past the ring, I lose some stock support. I think anyway

I think you will be fine if you build back the support with JB Weld or Devcon machinable epoxy.

Synthetic stocks are a major PIA to shorten!

Comment

J...maybe hold off till you get to you fighting weight if it’s the bulk causing the lop??

Comment

Working...
                              X