The 2020 TBH/APR Special Planning Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
    Serious question - what are you doing/planning on doing that 2-4 pounds at most makes so much of a difference that would prevent you from buying? I have no affiliation with APR just asking for my own personal satisfaction

Sierracharlie out…
    For me any of mine need to fit into my backcountry range. To me that is not above 7lbs as a bare rifle and really would like to be 6-6.5lb. I have tried options and this is what I have settled at for pack weight without sacrificing shoot ability at long range.

I have no issue passing if the majority chooses something I don't want though. I passed the first two and had something else built in 2018
    Last edited by bphillips; 12-07-2019, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Dear Santa
      I wish for a 7.5 pound 300 PRC hunting hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
        For me any of mine need to fit into my backcountry range. To me that is not above 7lbs as a bare rifle and really would like to be 6-6.5lb. I have tried options and this is what I have settled at for pack weight without sacrificing shoot ability at long range.

I have no issue passing if the majority chooses something I don't want though. I passed the first two and had something else built in 2018

I get that but it blows my mind that 2 pounds makes that much of a difference. I’ve also never done that type of hunting either.

Originally posted by Colton View Post
        I won’t be in on this years build but when is the cut off for these fellers?

Nothing has been decided you got a while.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Sierracharlie out…
          I have a child on the way and my wife has decided that we’re buying a house, trust me, I’m out of this one 😂

Since we’re both in Houston let’s get together and shoot sometime

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post
            I have a child on the way and my wife has decided that we’re buying a house, trust me, I’m out of this one [emoji23]

Since we’re both in Houston let’s get together and shoot sometime

Lol yeah you out fo sho! Yeah man we can try to coordinate something.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I get that but it blows my mind that 2 pounds makes that much of a difference. I’ve also never done that type of hunting either.

Sierracharlie out…
              I've hunted in the back country of Colorado and Wyoming, as well as the tundra of Alaska. When you're in those situations you'll find yourself counting ounces, let alone pounds. Last time I did a drop camp in Alaska the bush plane restricted me to 55 pounds for a 10 day hunt, and that included all gear and food. Two extra pounds on a rifle meant leaving 2 pounds of food behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                I've hunted in the back country of Colorado and Wyoming, as well as the tundra of Alaska. When you're in those situations you'll find yourself counting ounces, let alone pounds. Last time I did a drop camp in Alaska the bush plane restricted me to 55 pounds, and that included all gear and food. Two extra pounds on a rifle meant leaving 2 pounds of food behind.

Well that makes perfect sense in that scenario. I hope to be making a pack in elk hunt in the next few years so I’ll feel that pain.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                  I've hunted in the back country of Colorado and Wyoming, as well as the tundra of Alaska. When you're in those situations you'll find yourself counting ounces, let alone pounds. Last time I did a drop camp in Alaska the bush plane restricted me to 55 pounds for a 10 day hunt, and that included all gear and food. Two extra pounds on a rifle meant leaving 2 pounds of food behind.
                  Yes all my gear is down to a minimum. Could still shave rifles down to 5-5.5 but would lose faith in the ability to make long range shots in most cases I think. My last one I went Ti action so I could have a little more meat on the barrel. Ended up 6.4lb and honestly is perfect all around for me

Comment

Last year's builds are just about perfect for a do all rifle. About 7.5 bare and 10-10.5 with scope bipod etc. Is very usable. We packed ours in the back country in some of the steepest terrain for weeks on end this year. They are also heavy enough to shoot at range. Have taken ours well past 1k with ease. The ultra light rifles are nice for packing but man they can be hard to shoot for some. Ive got a couple light weights but dont use them a ton because of that. And the 15lbs rifles are great to shoot but not fun to pack. But wouldn't mind having a designated bench rifle. With that said last years just hit that sweet spot for me.

I will most likely be in on anything except a "classic" style build. I just cant justify it as I have to many of those that dont get used as it is. But if that's what the majority wants it's all good with me! Will still be fun to follow the process! And I know they will be awesome.
                    Last edited by OSU Fisher; 12-07-2019, 08:47 PM.

Comment

I need a varmint killing machine. Can’t wait to see the options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
                        I think this is the ticket- figure out the right action to get the right price and GAME ON!!!

I had no intention of participating in this years build but if it goes this route I will be forced to pick a 6.5 caliber something, likely PRC.

Comment

7.5 lb 28 nosler. C’MON

Comment

Something a long the lines of last year would be great to see again. On the other hand a have PRS style rifle would be sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
                              I think this is the ticket- figure out the right action to get the right price and GAME ON!!!
                              Exactly what I was saying but with a carbon barrel

Comment

Lightweight mnt rifle in 7rem mag with one of those slick carbon barrels

Comment

Working...
                                X