No announcement yet.

Thoughts on this rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got in on the APR TBH special and went with a 7-08. My intended use is a deer/hog gun for 400 yards or less.

Don't let ammo availability steer you away. There are plenty of great factory ammo choices for the 7-08. Federal has 8 different offerings for the 7-08, Hornady has 6 and then there is Remington, Winchester, Barnes, HSM, Swift, Nosler, Norma, Browning, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kc5rkg View Post

Don't let ammo availability steer you away. There are plenty of great factory ammo choices for the 7-08. Federal has 8 different offerings for the 7-08, .
      Mine shoots 1/2 moa with Federal Vital Shock ammo in 140 grain. I haven't been impressed with that bullet's performance on game though. If it doesn't hit bone it doesn't seem to expand at all. I killed over 20 deer and a few hogs with it last season and many of them had very small exit holes leaving little to no blood trail. Might try the Nosler partition this season.

Comment

I know nothing of that gun all I know is a 270, shooting corelokt ammo, there is a night and day difference between 130gr vs 150 gr. The 130 would leave tiny holes and very little blood loss, while I find the 150 to be a great round and gets it done.

Comment

My two cents: The 7-08 is a great all around cartridge for Texas. I prefer the .280 Rem but that’s a personal thing, kinda like brunettes or blondes. The threaded rifles don’t turn me on unless it’s very short. Otherwise they will be banging on everything. I wouldn’t put a brake on it either. Not enough recoil for the increase in muzzle blast.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
            Mine shoots 1/2 moa with Federal Vital Shock ammo in 140 grain. I haven't been impressed with that bullet's performance on game though. If it doesn't hit bone it doesn't seem to expand at all. I killed over 20 deer and a few hogs with it last season and many of them had very small exit holes leaving little to no blood trail. Might try the Nosler partition this season.
            The Nosler Partition is a proven bullet and I don't think you could go wrong with it. My dad shoots Federal Fusion 140gr in his 7-08 and so far it has performed well on game. I wish Federal offered the 7-08 with a Sierra Gameking bullet. I use that bullet in my 30-06 and it has always performed great! HSM does offer the Sierra Gameking in 7-08, but the only problem is you pretty much have to buy those online.

When I get mine I am going to try a few different types of ammo and see what the rifle likes. I know I am going to try Fusion, HSM Gamekings, and the Hornady ELD-X.

Comment

I’ve never EVER owned a rifle with a spiral fluted barrel...always looks like it’s wearing its rifling on the wrong side.

That being said....that’s SEXY!

Good luck Bobby. A man of your stature should surely own one!!!

Comment

Why???
                Spend the money on DOING something with the ones you have rather than putting another gun in the safe.
                I got an itch Thursday and Friday for a CZ full stock 22. I already have several really good ones that the CZ would have a hard time out shooting. What I need is time to use them and not buy something else to have to fiddle with.
                I got over the itch.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the 270 but if you get a new rifle get the 7mm08.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    I wouldn’t put a brake on it either. Not enough recoil for the increase in muzzle blast.

I like being able to watch my impacts through the scope
                    Totally a matter of personal preference though. I can see why a lot of people don’t like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Totally a matter of personal preference though. I can see why a lot of people don’t like them.
                      It's the noise for me...if a quick shot is needed on a yote, I'll be swinging the rifle.

Comment

APR is building me one as we speak. 7mm-08 with 1:9 twist and 20” ratchet fluted barrel on TBH build. I mulled over 7-08 vs 6.5 and ended in 7-08. I may never take a shot over 400yds at an animal. The 6.5cm sounds great too but everyone was getting them so I went against the grain so to speak... Cannot wait to get it. You’ll be happy either way. Good luck on decision

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
                          APR is building me one as we speak. 7mm-08 with 1:9 twist and 20” ratchet fluted barrel on TBH build. I mulled over 7-08 vs 6.5 and ended in 7-08. I may never take a shot over 400yds at an animal. The 6.5cm sounds great too but everyone was getting them so I went against the grain so to speak... Cannot wait to get it. You’ll be happy either way. Good luck on decision
                          I just was struggling on the same decision but went the same as you because of that. Dropped all my stuff off with the gunsmith Friday. 7-08 with 20" shilen barrel with 1:8 twist. Can't wait to get it back.

Comment

The Partition is one of my long time favorite hunting bullets but don’t expect big exits with them. By design the front part of the bullets expands reliably with or without hitting bone but usually peels back to just the base before exiting.

I’m my experience there will be small entrance, massive trauma in the middle and a small exit but an exit dang bnar 100% of the time.

Comment

I’ve spent a lot of time behind both. That said. I’d choose the 7-08 or the creedmoor all day long.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                That is why I shoot suppressed. Best of everything. Recoil Reduction as well as sound protection.

Comment

Working...
                                X