No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you access Pecan Grove thru spill way parking lot?

Comment

Yup, good trails running east from the regulated outfall channel parking lot. The one on the backside of the dam, near the Corps office. look at my most on page 210 for more info
      Last edited by NightStalker; 02-13-2017, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NightStalker View Post
        Yup, good trails running east from the regulated outfall channel parking lot. The one on the backside of the dam, near the Corps office. look at my most on page 210 for more info
        Thanks for the info

Comment

The hunt, er drink, is about to be on!!

Comment

So I've been heading out to lake Georgetown hiking with my eberlestock getting ready for my elk hunt. Figured I can do that and hunt at granger while I'm at it. I don't have a boat. Does anyone mind giving me an area that would be best for this for a rookie to the area? I'm not asking for your honey hike. Just a place I won't get lost(GPS on phone to track where I started) and get a good workout while still having a legit shot at killing pigs

Comment

If you want to walk, Hunt Sore Finger.

Park at the southern terminus of CR 358, gate #1, at 30.729632° -97.352183° Cross the little gully. Follow the old road south-southwest. Once you have walked half a mile, start glassing the gully to your west (this is Sore Finger Creek by the way). Once you cross the creek, stay on the road and proceed another 1/4 mile and glass the area around the L shaped tank. (there are usually ducks on the tank, fun to watch) From there, head 1/2 mile cross country SE toward the wooded area you will see. Once in the woods, keep heading SE until you reach the lake. Much of the area is open grassland so it is hard to get lost. A better walking workout is to park at the trail head of the Fox Park nature trail, the north end of CR 469, 30.663883° -97.379418°, and head west, but if getting lost is a concern, that might not be so good.
              Last edited by NightStalker; 02-20-2017, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Have any of you ever been chases by a cow while hunting Granger? I was wondering what is the protocol in this situation? I was there on Sunday and there must have been a few calves in the area because I had a cow chase me really ****** off across a creek twice till I just got fed up and left.

Comment

mf'n OG

Originally posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post
                  They can be harvested....u just have to be close and hear the shots....I took my boat a few years back and picked up 5 free pigs.. Lake not closed!!
                  I'll say it again...Mother****in Original Gangster
                  Last edited by Briar Friar; 02-23-2017, 10:17 PM. Reason: ChiefKicksAssSpake

Comment

My uncles take as a ranch manager and former pest control operator on the new approval of warfarin as a hog bait...take or leave it Rangers:

I have some knowledge about the chosen active ingredient for hog poison here goes.
                    The ingredient is WARFARIN we first saw it and it is still used as rat poison but now its also used as a blood thinner for people. The properties of warfarin are it breaks down the Vitamin K in Blood.
                    My opinion of why they are using this product is Hogs/pigs are nasty *******s and every one knows they have to be cooked to well,well done if your going to eat them, they carry a large amount of internal parasites which are feeding on the hog/pig and doing tissue damage constantly I guess as long as the hog is healthy they can get along because of their bloods ability to coagulate.
                    Enter warfarin based bait. A hog with all these parasites plus the normal tendency of any body to have small hemorrhages going on at all times eats the bait and can no longer control the hemorrhaging and starts to bleed internally. Then he dies right, no he gets really thirsty and heads to your water supply be it a lake, river, stream, stock pond etc, So he gets a drink but now he is so weak from blood loss he can't make it out of the water, remember hogs/pigs love water they don't drink from the waters edge they wade out to drink and help control their body temp. Now for any on who hasn't got the picture what happens next is he dies and his body swells from it's gases and he floats. So this dead floating hog is floating in a stream or river possibly several miles up stream from the lake you live on or your city gets its water from now a rain comes and this hog and his buddy's who have also died and are floating or laying along the bank of every stream or river that empty's into your lake/water supply float into your Lake /water supply. Oh did I mention they are still floating. Remember in order to poison a hog the bait has to go where they live and they live near water!
                    Don't get me wrong hogs are a huge problem and need to be dealt with, and this may be the best way, but I foresee a huge out cry from the public when they start showing up in the rivers that flow through your town or city and/or into your water supply.

Comment

If you want to walk, Hunt Sore Finger.

Park at the southern terminus of CR 358, gate #1, at 30.729632° -97.352183° Cross the little gully. Follow the old road south-southwest. Once you have walked half a mile, start glassing the gully to your west (this is Sore Finger Creek by the way). Once you cross the creek, stay on the road and proceed another 1/4 mile and glass the area around the L shaped tank. (there are usually ducks on the tank, fun to watch) From there, head 1/2 mile cross country SE toward the wooded area you will see. Once in the woods, keep heading SE until you reach the lake. Much of the area is open grassland so it is hard to get lost. A better walking workout is to park at the trail head of the Fox Park nature trail, the north end of CR 469, 30.663883° -97.379418°, and head west, but if getting lost is a concern, that might not be so good.
                      Thank you!!

Comment

Helo Hunt

So I talked with the lady at the Willis Creek Park Gate today.. She said the helo hunt killed 126 hogs and 6 coyotes. Also said they saw a +400 lbs hog out in the pasture area below the dam. Both the pilot and the "sniper" said it was over 400 and it looked like a bear running through the area.

Also found a stand and a gravity feeder in the area was in today. Interesting set up location for both. Dont know who's it is as unmarked, but sure its been there much longer than the allowed 3 days.

Good luck to everyone these next few weeks/months, whether you're slinging arrows or casting a line.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hogzilla lives!
                          Last edited by NightStalker; 02-25-2017, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Hogzilla lives!
                            Navychief and I got to 75 yards on him one evening as light was fading. He is huge in person.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Speedgoat View Post
                              Navychief and I got to 75 yards on him one evening as light was fading. He is huge in person.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	20170224_193534.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	24486141

Hes dead !

We killed him last night with a one eyed dog and a .270 behind the ear ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RACK View Post
                                [ATTACH]842985[/ATTACH]

Hes dead !

We killed him last night with a one eyed dog and a .270 behind the ear ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
                                What a beast...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X