Public Land Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Land Blues

This is going to be the first year in a long time that I've been forced to hunt strictly public land. Up until now I've hunted the family farm but do to a fire that came through and took out a majority of their bedding area I'm trying to let the area heal and recover for a few years. I went to go check out an area not far from my home and was honestly surprised. I walked up on several deer stands already hung, several trail cams, a dear blind, and best yet a feeder with a blind 30 yards away. Just threw my hands up and left after that. Isn't that stuff illegal to do on public land?

It's typical. ..but where I hunt it would get stolen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Comment

Most areas it is. Depends on the area as far as baiting it is legal at some. But most have a 72 hour rule for stand placement. If it's a WMA then no baiting is allowed. call the area biologist they should monitor them take them down. But on a side note I guarantee they arnt carrying corn very far. So the smart bucks arnt really in danger from those people. Get in further and hunt smarter and it will pay off.

Comment

Originally posted by TxSpinner View Post
        This is going to be the first year in a long time that I've been forced to hunt strictly public land. Up until now I've hunted the family farm but do to a fire that came through and took out a majority of their bedding area I'm trying to let the area heal and recover for a few years. I went to go check out an area not far from my home and was honestly surprised. I walked up on several deer stands already hung, several trail cams, a dear blind, and best yet a feeder with a blind 30 yards away. Just threw my hands up and left after that. Isn't that stuff illegal to do on public land?
        where are you hunting??

Comment

I've been there. Well still there. Its just part of it. Look at it like this, if you know where the majority of hunters are, you know where the deer aren't! Thats the only way to cope with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TxSpinner View Post
            You'll find that everywhere. People leaving stands out all season, putting up feeders, throwing corn. Driving around gates and all the way in to a hunting area. And worse yet a lack of enforcement by the law. Ive pretty much come to the conclusion they don't care.

Comment

I guess that's why they say to march back about a mile. If you gotta break a sweat and cut some bushes to get to your spot, chances are you won't have too much company back there. (except for deer)

Comment

A couple years ago me and my son was hunting public land in east Texas and there was people living in there travel trailer and had build them a fence around the place for there dog and they would run a generator the whole time. So we called local police and they done nothing so called the game warren and they came out and told them to leave and wrote a lot of tickets that weekend

Comment

I usually bring a bottle of whiskey for after the hunt. It will help drown the Public Land Blues!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I hunt public land a good bit.
                    Pros:
                    You can go anywhere you want
                    Not locked in to a stand site or area.
                    Can hunt any times you want or leave anytime.
                    I get bored with hunting the same area so I can change areas.
                    Always can hunt a fresh area, unscented or molested.
                    Your woodsman ship skills will be above average of most hunters.
                    The hunting is relatively free besides blood, sweat and blisters.
                    Your hunting deer in their natural patterns.

Cons:
                    There is a chance you will have someone hunting your area or walk through.
                    Usually have to go to the hard to reach places to hunt a productive area.
                    Usually have to hoof it on foot.
                    Usually have to cart/drag your game out.
                    Will have to scout much more and figure out travel patterns, bedding areas and preferred food sources.

All in all I enjoy hunting public land because the reward feels greater. Many elements are against you, so when you succeed you beat all the odds against you. If the spot you intend to hunt is an easy hunt, expect someone to also be hunting it or have someone walk through your area. It's public land, other hunters don't know where your hunting so it's not exactly their fault. Some hunters respect others and move away from you when knowing your there and some will continue to walk under you and past. It is what it is. The more effort you put in to the hunt, the more enjoyable it will be. Typically hunters will walk in a 1/4 mile up to a mile. Use them to your advantage... they just like dogs. Use the terrain, people and deer sign to tell you what you need to do. You will get messed up a few times by others but it's up to you to make the adjustment.

I will go in with the mindset that someone will mess my hunt up, most times it don't happen, that's a bonus.

Comment

X2 what triple deuce said. I hunt private and public and can find something positive about both.

Comment

I have a pretty good idea where you are trying to hunt. Started there and have progressed away from the people. You have to think outside the box and find other means. Baiting is not illegal if I'm correct in where I think you're talking about, so find ya some spots off the tail, do your research and scouting, and things will be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by jfalcone8 View Post
                          I have a pretty good idea where you are trying to hunt. Started there and have progressed away from the people. You have to think outside the box and find other means. Baiting is not illegal if I'm correct in where I think you're talking about, so find ya some spots off the tail, do your research and scouting, and things will be ok.
                          But again I could be totally off.

Comment

Another thing that I get excited about. I never know what deer will show up and where from. Could be a doe or spike or a slob of a buck.

I own 180 acres of decent hunting. I also have 135,000 acres of public land to hunt. Easy to blow out 180 acres so I hunt my place sparingly and when I'm tired of humping public land. Here in Louisiana we have rivers and creeks on public land. A boat is a great asset and when you get out your already on a funnel. Do what most aren't doing and your odds go up big time. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by triple_duece View Post
                              Another thing that I get excited about. I never know what deer will show up and where from. Could be a doe or spike or a slob of a buck.

I own 180 acres of decent hunting. I also have 135,000 acres of public land to hunt. Easy to blow out 180 acres so I hunt my place sparingly and when I'm tired of humping public land. Here in Louisiana we have rivers and creeks on public land. A boat is a great asset and when you get out your already on a funnel. Do what most aren't doing and your odds go up big time. Good luck
                              Good advice

Comment

Working...
                              X