No announcement yet.

2017...Wichita Falls and surrounding counties Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving Decatur around 1 and stopping at one stop in runaway bay to grab some ribeyes then headed out to the lease in Archer. Can’t decide which stand to hunt with the wind predictions changing directions mid hunt.

Comment

Sitting in Wichita county in the AM. Conditions suck but you can’t kill them at the house. Good luck to everyone.

We’re looking for my son’s first buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck to everyone going out this weekend. I won't be able to make it out.
        Post u0 a big one!
        Nice javelinas fellas. We have about 40 that live on our lease. We kinda treat them as our pets.

Comment

2017...Wichita Falls and surrounding counties Season Thread

Saw a ton of doe on the way to the stand yesterday and yearling buck cruising about 9:30. Got down around 10:00 and my son took a shot at a big boar. Hit him twice and he just soaked them up. Still a good first day.

This morning I forgot to change the alarm time and we woke up with the sun starting to rise. Decided to just drive and park on the side of the wheat to see if anything was moving. When the sun crested we had 3 doe and 20 pigs on the wheat. Decided to take a doe for some table fare. Picked out the biggest one and she’s in the truck now. First deer for me from up here and she’s huge. I’ve shot mature bucks in other places that were this big.

Hope you guys have had a productive weekend. It’s been a good time for my boy and I. Next weekend we’ll be deer hunting Saturday and duck hunting Sunday.

Comment

That's a good plan for the weekend with a day of deer hunting and a day of duck hunting. Wish y'all success no matter how you measure your success.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Rut ro!

It's on in Baylor Co. Filmed this morning!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	24518077

Comment

Following

Comment

I hope everyone has a safe weekend traveling to the lease. I can't go again this week. Next week I will start getting out most every weekend. One of our guys shot a nice 22' 10 point, 155-160 inch deer last night. They were not rutting he said. Good numbers of 100+ deer on the wheat. Good to have some cooler weather to get them stirred up.

Comment

I will be headed out to Throckmorton County in a couple of hours. I didn't have a good south wind set up for rifle but I do now after changing some things around last weekend. I plan to bow hunt again this weekend but I will get the rifle out if they are up cruising or chasing cause that is often when shot opportunities are limited and out of bow range.
                    Good luck to everyone that is headed out this week/weekend

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Out of curiosity, what does the average lease run per year in the general area between Vernon, Seymore, WF area? I am looking for next year for myself, my wife and son.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                        Out of curiosity, what does the average lease run per year in the general area between Vernon, Seymore, WF area? I am looking for next year for myself, my wife and son.
                        Just like most others ALOT

Comment

We pay $2000 a spot for 9 hunters on 1800 acres between Archer City and Holiday (about 20 miles south of Wichita Falls). I doubt we'll have any openings this year, though.

Comment

Originally posted by rattler03 View Post
                            We pay $2000 a spot for 9 hunters on 1800 acres between Archer City and Holiday (about 20 miles south of Wichita Falls). I doubt we'll have any openings this year, though.

Would you say thats about average for the area? I plan on researching and looking around well before spring time.

Comment

We have a house (metal building) central air and heat 2 story 12 small rooms to sleep, 3 bath rooms, kitchen, 25 stands and feeders maintained by the head guy (we help out when we can) 14 people 18,000 acres split between a 2 buck county and 1 buck county, we pay $3,000/year

Comment

Would you say thats about average for the area? I plan on researching and looking around well before spring time.

I honestly don't know what the average price in the area is, but my gut feeling is that my lease is maybe a little below average price. According to our lease manager the price hasn't increased in 8 years. Our only real amenity is electricity, though, but we do have year-round access. Other than that its a pretty basic setup. We're at $10/acre, although there are definitely some leases lower than that, when I was looking 4 years ago it seemed there were a lot of leases that were priced above that.

We're 2 hours from Fort Worth, so as you get farther out I'd expect prices to drop a little.
                                Last edited by rattler03; 11-11-2017, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X