Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Official 2008 public land thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I will be haveing my opening day on Wed evening had to work over the weekend and mon, tues.

Comment

Hunted Monday and Tuesday morning at LBJ and saw 14 deer total all does.
      It was a beautiful time!

Comment

Nothing at the Vine, and not real happy to see the illegal baiters back to their cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Miller View Post
          Hunted Monday and Tuesday morning at LBJ and saw 14 deer total all does.
          It was a beautiful time!
          Pat what kind of stand are you using at LBJ, when I have time to run up there I always take my popup...

I found a bunch of nice places hunting birds up there, we never failed to jump a buck or two...

Comment

I use a multitude of stands from a Lone Wolf lock on w/ climbing sticks to a Tree Saddle w/ climbing sticks.
            Since I've been hunting LBJ for so many years I know from which area I'm going to hunt which type of stand I'm going to use.
            Some places I might not get but 6-8 feet off the ground and some I"ve been as high as 30'.....it's tough on an old fat man when you climb that high!
            Only twice have I ever used a climber out there. I just don't find them practical for most of the areas and I've never had any luck with pop ups.
            I can see where they'd be useful if you could leave them out and brush them in for a longer period of time but they'd have to be well hidden or you're leaving them out for the thieves and lowlifes.

Comment

Yep, Had my pop-up stolen last year by some jerk. My lease this year is along the border of Unit 4 at Twin Buttes and we've had a gate rammed, a feeder vandalized, a feeder stolen, and 2 blinds stolen, ....all in about a weeks time

I figured being on private property that I wouldn't have to deal with that crud anymore, boy were we wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by bwhunter View Post
                To anyone that hunted sommerville this weekend or in the future... I hunted there on the Nails unit.. off of the south end on FM180 and the other fm road( i think its fm 1687..not sure) I was hunting about 3/8 to 1/2 mile in the place and stuck an eight point sat morning at about 8:05. was 18 yards, quartering away. The shot seemed perfect, behind the shoulder, possibly a little high after rethinking. dad and I searched for almost 3 hours and NO blood at all. I ran into another hunter who was about 80 yards hunting from me, said about 8:10 am or so he saw this deer run past him..saw what he thought was the broadhead end of the shaft sticking out. The deer was 8pts for sure, maybe 1 or 2 more and 15" +or- wide. he also had very dark horns..you won't mistake this. What a BUMMER for opening weekend. Anyway, if anyone hears or sees of this deer..Dead or Alive..I would greatly apreciate to hear of it.. From everything I observed and with no blood, I may have hit a little high or a tad foward..he may be ok and live...Also, the entry was on his right side, my arrow was a gold tip with 2 yellow and 1 white 4" vanes and a 100 grain thunderhead..if any of this will help. Thanks a million to anyone who may see or find this deer and let me know about it.
                Bummer- by your description sounds like the same one I hit last year close to the same spot. He bled a bunch and I trailed him for 5-6 hrs across adjoining private land with my dad and a couple game wardens into a creek bottom where we lost his trail at dark. I recovered my arrow about 300 yds away, all bent and bloody. They must have nine lives out there. I feel your pain!

Comment

Was hunting at Monday evening at Georgetown, no luck.

Going again Thursday afternoon and Saturday morning!!

Comment

Buck Fever in everyone huh!

Comment

Fever

Yep, I've definately got a case of deer fever, and I'm heading back to LBJ this afternoon to seek the killing cure. I'll again be at Black Creek if anyone wants to come visit for a spell.
                      Good luck to all yall this week-end.

Comment

Yea I will be out there sunday morning for a morning hunt and hopefully saturday evening to spend the night.

Comment

Just got back from two days at Somerville. Saw nine deer, no shots. Last noght at around 6 I had a huge hog (im guessing 200lbs) run through the creek bed to within twenty yards. I shot him at about ten and watched him along with my arrow dissapear into the river bottom. I didn't find any blood or my arrow last night and went out again and found nothing. Them things are tough to take a "RAGE IN THE CAGE" like that. Anyways, I was hunting nails about 3/4 back if anyone comes across a rotting hog with a Full Metal Jacket and two blade Rage in him. If the arrow or the broadhead isn't bad I'd like it back. Thanks. Also, another guy shot a doe this mourning and couldn't find it. It must be something is the creek that keeps theses critters alive. I will be back in two weeks or so. Hopefully there will be acorns on the ground and it will be cooler. Good luck guys.

Comment

I shot the buck that Glenn is taking about last Saturday morning. Nothing special just a 6 point.

Comment

Somerville Nice buck

I was just wondering if anyone arrowed a nice buck at Somerville area near Yegua. Could have been a car victim, not sure. I was out of film in my camera, but he was a nice 9 or 10 w/16" spread. Brows were almost 4. G2-9", G3-8", G4-5". Other side was same. Could have had G4 on other side but it was cover by the carcass. 23+ main beams and I guess 20+ in mass. I would put it high 129-135. Dark horns. Buzzards were still working him over so was recent. Sure hope he spread his genes around. I guess the antler restriction is starting to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Need4speed1 View Post
                                I was just wondering if anyone arrowed a nice buck at Somerville area near Yegua. Could have been a car victim, not sure. I was out of film in my camera, but he was a nice 9 or 10 w/16" spread. Brows were almost 4. G2-9", G3-8", G4-5". Other side was same. Could have had G4 on other side but it was cover by the carcass. 23+ main beams and I guess 20+ in mass. I would put it high 129-135. Dark horns. Buzzards were still working him over so was recent. Sure hope he spread his genes around. I guess the antler restriction is starting to work.
                                That sucks. I hunted that area last week and didn't see it. I hope his dad and brothers are still around that area. I will be up there tomarrow. Were abouts near Yugua? Ill take a pic of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X