Question on bison with trad gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on bison with trad gear

I am putting in for the Custer State Park bison "hunt" in South Dakota. This year I will just apply for preference point but plan on applying for the draw in the next couple of years. I would really like to use a recurve but I only shoot about 46# and about 10.5 gpp arrow. I know this is not enough for a bison.

What would be a good traditional setup for bison with trad equipment? I was thinking 55-60# with about a 12 gpp arrow setup. Keep in mind I would not shoot past 25 yards. I would also either be hunting either a young bull or cow about 2-4 years old. I cannot afford the big boys at $5000

Thanks for any advice for first hand experience.

PM Phillip Fields. He has shot a bison with a stickbow. If I had the opportunity, I would hunt bison with my set-up. I shoot 50# at my 29.5" DL. I would definitely work up a heavy arrow though.

Bisch

Comment

Indians did it with a rock on the end a arrow off a horse. What's the problem over? They probably run more off a bluff though.

Comment

I used a Massie Longhorn longbow. 57# at my 28" draw length. Arrows weighed about 620 grains with a 1 1/2" in wide 2-blade, 160 grain Magnus broadhead. I shot a cow, about 900 lbs. She was at about 25 yds. She took a step and turned slightly as I shot, so the shot was a little farther back, and the angle was slightly more quartering than I liked so I didn't get the penetration I wanted. I took out one lung. She ran about 75 yards and went down. We walked up to her and I put a finishing shot through her lungs. I think my broadhead was too wide and if I do it again, I will use a 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" wide 2 blade head.

My buddy took a cow about 850 lbs on the same hunt. He used a Black Widow recurve, 54lbs at his 28" draw. He used a 125 grain, 2 blade Magnus Stinger. His arrows were about 600 grains. He had a perfect broadside shot at about 18yds. His cow ran about 35 yards and went down. He clipped the aorta off the top of her heart.
        Last edited by Phillip Fields; 01-21-2014, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Cool, thanks guys! Thanks Phillip for the first hand experience. On the Custer Park hunts you only get one day to hunt. If I get drawn I would probably try with bow part of the day but would also take my rifle so that I dont blow a limited tag. Sounds like I need to work up to a 55# bow. Im always looking for an excuse to buy a new toy

Comment

I shot my buffalo with a 55 lb. Black Widow longbow, a cedar shaft that weighed 590 grains, and a 160 grain Simmons Treeshark. I shot mine kind of high, and I managed to cut the dorsal artery...he bled out quick and only ran about 40 yds. It was an 800 lb. bull. I swear by those Treesharks!!

Comment

Cool, thanks Picorancher71, feel free to post pictures

Comment

I shot mine with a 55 pound bow using a 125 razor cap broad head
                Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	24281325

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                  I shot mine with a 55 pound bow using a 125 razor cap broad head
                  [ATTACH]592342[/ATTACH]
                  One of my favorite pics on TBH!!! Just incredible. One more week and the hunt is on...........finally.

Comment

So hypothetically if you shot an animal and hit it well, but it still travels over 200 yards and your guide makes you finish it with a rifle. is that still a traditional kill? Or rifle kill? Just wondering. Had an argument with someone earlier this year. Not trying to hijack

Comment

Originally posted by youngbuck1 View Post
                      So hypothetically if you shot an animal and hit it well, but it still travels over 200 yards and your guide makes you finish it with a rifle. is that still a traditional kill? Or rifle kill? Just wondering. Had an argument with someone earlier this year. Not trying to hijack
                      If it has a bullet in it it is not a bow kill of any kind. At least P&Y will not accept it.

Comment

Working...
                      X