No announcement yet.

St Augustine Iron Deficiency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reach down at surface level and grab a hand full and if roots come up with grass it is grubs, if it breaks off easily with no roots could be disease. Also can stab with shovel and pull up one scoop and you will see the grubs if they are there.

Comment

Thanks guys. Looks like it could be a few things. Will check it out this week. May look into the soil test too.

Comment

When I get yellow grass, I sow in ironite. I am by no means an expert, but it has worked so far. I am new to st Augustine for the most part, so in to learn as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not grubs. I would try the Ironite.

Comment

I’m impressed by what looks like hydrangeas that look that good. I haven’t noticed any yellow areas in my st Augustine yet but have in the past. I’m following along for what you determine especially considering we’re most likely similar soil type given our close proximity. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
              I’m impressed by what looks like hydrangeas that look that good. I haven’t noticed any yellow areas in my st Augustine yet but have in the past. I’m following along for what you determine especially considering we’re most likely similar soil type given our close proximity. Good luck
              Hey old neighbor. I’ll keep you posted. And those pictures don’t do those hydrangeas justice. They are pretty large and full to the max. They always do really well. It may just be where they are planted and the amount of sun/shade they receive.

Comment

Peat moss, peat moss, peat moss

Battling the same thing here for the past two years. Finally put some down this Spring in the front and the yard is green as ever. Ironite did nothing to mine.

Just bought some peat moss to do the back yard today as it started turning yellow this week like yours.

The hardest part with peat moss is spreading it evenly. Major PIA

Comment

Be careful if you use Ironite. Try not to get it on wet concrete driveways or sidewalks. The iron will actually begin to rust on the concrete and leave little rust spot stains. I spread it on San Augustine and forgot to sweep the excess of my front sidewalk. After I watered the yard, I noticed the little rust spots.

Comment

Originally posted by FowlTrouble View Post
                    Peat moss, peat moss, peat moss

Battling the same thing here for the past two years. Finally put some down this Spring in the front and the yard is green as ever. Ironite did nothing to mine.

Just bought some peat moss to do the back yard today as it started turning yellow this week like yours.

The hardest part with peat moss is spreading it evenly. Major PIA
                    That’s interesting. It helps acidify the soil & recommended for azaleas too. I’ve never put it in the yard. Good info

Comment

Glad this post came up- I was searching the web this morning to solve the same issue.I have noticed that it seems to be happening to several yards in the area.Problem is as common as it seems ,there are two to three possible scenarios that are making it happen,from grubs to iron.I guess I will treat for both.

Comment

I'm also in the not grubs camp. I've had grubs. The yard doesn't yellow, it just dies. It all dies.

Comment

I started throwing an iron fertilizer from a grass farm in Robstown, TX.
                          Man! I have an English garden growing now in Kingsville where I had about giving up on dirt and crabgrass. or a while there I was happy to have crabgrass!

It works!!

Comment

Can you take a close up pic of the blades?

Comment

What time of day and how often do you water?
                              Are you in Williamsburg?
                              Last edited by jlinville; 06-20-2018, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pintail45 View Post
                                Can you take a close up pic of the blades?
                                I can, but the yellow blades have dark green veins

Originally posted by jlinville View Post
                                What time of day and how often do you water?
                                I water as needed. Once the blades start shriveling, I’ll hit it. Will also just spot water on a few of the hot spots in the yard. It’s usually every 2-3 days for about 15 minutes with pop-up spray heads.

I looked at the possibility of over watering, but my back yard is shaded and I don’t water that but maybe once a week and it even has the big yellow splotches.

Comment

Working...
                                X