X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking forward to following along!

Comment

Originally posted by mudmauler View Post
      I was drawn. I’ll do my best to update around the fire. Don’t think it will be live but probably update at the end of everyday. I’ll see if I have service where I’m headed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      How'd it go? Hopefully you're tired and sore from packing out Nilgai.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Comment

Laguna atascosa Emergency hunt-April

My hunt is this weekend. I don’t know of anybody that could fill us in on how this past weekend went. Anybody know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hunt info

How did y'all find out about the hunt? I only heard after the drawing was completed. Was it on the news, or do we sign up somewhere to be on a list?

Wish I knew. Was out there last year for exotic only archery hunt. Was the most relaxing and fun 5 days in the field I've ever done. Might not have been relaxing if I'd killed one. Would like to go back.

Comment

Originally posted by returning egret View Post
            How did y'all find out about the hunt? I only heard after the drawing was completed. Was it on the news, or do we sign up somewhere to be on a list?

Wish I knew. Was out there last year for exotic only archery hunt. Was the most relaxing and fun 5 days in the field I've ever done. Might not have been relaxing if I'd killed one. Would like to go back.
            It was posted on their Facebook page.

Comment

I was also drawn for this upcoming weekend. Sent a FB message to the refuge about last weekend. They only killed 8.

Comment

Originally posted by jbw899 View Post
                I was also drawn for this upcoming weekend. Sent a FB message to the refuge about last weekend. They only killed 8.

Wow that’s too bad. Thanks for sharing. Wonder why the low numbers...

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                  Wow that’s too bad. Thanks for sharing. Wonder why the low numbers...
                  There were only 40 permits. I'm sure some were hunting in pairs or groups. I know two guys who shot a bull Saturday morning and left after they dealt with it, they didn't even go back on Sunday.

Comment

I've bowhunted it, shouldn't be that hard to kill one with a rifle unless you're really picky or really lazy. The guys that killed one and left aren't doing us any favors. If hunters don't kill more the refuge may just go back to aerial hunts and we'll all be sol.

Comment

I've bowhunted it, shouldn't be that hard to kill one with a rifle unless you're really picky or really lazy. The guys that killed one and left aren't doing us any favors. If hunters don't kill more the refuge may just go back to aerial hunts and we'll all be sol.
                      I have to wonder how much economics plays into the decision making. Instead of spending thousands of dollars hiring a chopper, shooters, & ppl to recover animals; they are generating thousands of dollars and having all of the heavy lifting done for them. You would think that it would be a no brainer.

.....That is unless the staff are getting free chopper shoots??

Comment

A few years ago they proposed doing helicopter hunts throughout the whole refuge. I may not be remembering correctly, but I believe a private company was going to conduct the hunt and sell the meat. Not sure of the financials but the refuge may not have had to pay since the company got the meat and sells it for a ridiculous amount online. They changed the plan to donating the meat instead of selling but eventually canceled the whole thing after a lot of people complained. There are threads about it somewhere on tbh. I doubt they make much, if any, on the hunts by the time you consider the staffing expenses associated with the hunt. They really want to reduce numbers and 8 barely makes a dent.

Comment

They plan on resuming nilgia helicopter eradication after the "emergency hunt" is over.

Comment

Article
                            Attached Files

Comment

Last time it was public comments that stopped the helicopter slaughter. Stopping the helicopter shoots is why there is why there are so many nilgia right now as evident by the success hunters enjoyed in this year's hunts. It's a shame so many hunters are willing to pay for the opportunity to utilize this public resource but they only allow a handful of hunts. I already sent an email protesting the helicopter shoots without first giving every public hunter the chance to utilize this public resource. When they.run put of people willing to pay to hunt then they can resort to chopper shoots.

Comment

A few years ago they proposed doing helicopter hunts throughout the whole refuge. I may not be remembering correctly, but I believe a private company was going to conduct the hunt and sell the meat. Not sure of the financials but the refuge may not have had to pay since the company got the meat and sells it for a ridiculous amount online. They changed the plan to donating the meat instead of selling but eventually canceled the whole thing after a lot of people complained. There are threads about it somewhere on tbh. I doubt they make much, if any, on the hunts by the time you consider the staffing expenses associated with the hunt. They really want to reduce numbers and 8 barely makes a dent.

I'm not sure I would agree. 8 animals a weekend that does not cost any more than rescheduling your staff? Extrapolate that out to two or three hunts a month with no real capital outlay, the population on the reserve could be controlled. Plus you have to assume there is a staffing increase even when the chopper hunts are being conducted.

I've never really understood the excitement of controlling herd populations on the NWR when all of the neighboring land holders welcome the animal as a revenue and food source? It's not like the NWR is high fence controlled.

My humble $0.02

Comment

Working...
                                X