Pastrami advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami advice

Anyone ever made pastrami. I have been wanting to try for quite a while now but have not pulled the trigger. What tips and suggestions can you give me. I have 4 days off and I want to try it. This probably belongs in the recipe section but it looks pretty slow over there.

Thanks

Learn to make delicious deli-quality pastrami at home with this simple and tasty recipe, adapted from The Artisan Jewish Deli at Home cookbook.

I have been wanting to try this but don't have room in the refrigerator

Comment

Kroger was selling a "kit", basically a flat of brisket that had been brined with a packet of spices. I smoked it, and it came out pretty good.

Not sure if they still have them, they were located in the produce in a separate cooler.

Comment

I've been wanting to do that also. It seems that the brine takes a week to 2 weeks depending on the size of the brisket. I don't really have that much space or patience, so I may try to find one already brined and just smoke it.

Comment

Super easy! If you can make soup, you can make pastrami. If you need extra room in the fridge, you can cut your brisket into chunks and brine it in tupperware.

Personally, I use a 5 gallon bucket and brine the whole thing in the basement where it's nice and cold for 4-5 days. Snap a lid on the bucket and give it a good shake once a day.

The brine is the key part. After it's done in the brine, you can boil it which will give you corned beef OR throw it on the smoker and make it pastrami. 30 minutes per pound on the smoker, low and slow.

Good luck!

Comment

The meat eater website has an awesome recipe.

Comment

I have been wanting to try a pastrami. might give this one a go.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                The meat eater website has an awesome recipe.
                Sold. I'll be trying this recipe, but with brisket. I guess I'll cut it into 3 lb sections to be consistent with the recipe.

Comment

Hank Shaw has a really good recipe as well

A recipe for goose pastrami, best made with large geese like Canada geese or store-bought geese. You cure the goose, then coat in spices and then smoke it.

Comment

Here is one by Jess Pryles: http://jesspryles.com/recipe/make-brisket-pastrami/

Comment

I make pastrami venison every year. I corn it according to hank Shaw’s recipe, then smoke with this one. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ts-close-katzs

Great with deer, beef, goose, antelope, elk, any dark meat.

Comment

a friend of mine made me some pastrami with some backstrap. It was awesome. He brined it and then smoked it in his electric smoker.

Comment

Ive made some with brisket. Brine it in the fridge for a week, making sure its fully submerged, and then smoke and enjoy.

Comment

I have done it with tenderloins, Morton's Tender Quick, brown sugar, and pickling spice. Turned out great. Smoked over pecan.

Comment

From Sunday, 11lbs or so before cooking. A little on the salty side, left it too long in the cure. Still came out delicious.

Comment

Working...
                              X