260 AI vs 6.5 Creedmoore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
    Hornady once George got his crap together and quit lying about the quality lol
    LOL! Brass price has gone down as well.

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
      More of it. You couldn't find saum brass to convert for nothing when I was considering it lol. This was 2-3 years ago

Comment

The 6.5-284 Norma spec is for a long action with a longer throat so you can set the bullets out longer and not reduce as much case capacity. The 284 parent cartridge is a cool round but is built for short actions where a longer bullet does eat up case capacity.

I have a Cooper 52 in the 6.5-284 and love shooting the rifle. It is accurate and when or if I burn out the barrel, they make barrels while we sleep.

If I really want to reach out with a 6.5 the 264 Win mag will work and is in the safe rarely ever shot. I do not shoot much past 500 these days and have fun with the 6.5 Grendel for that. For a fun handy light weight open sighted boltaction it is hard to beat a MS 1903 6.5X54 it is old school, handy and those 160gr round nose bullets thump critters hard at the ranges my eyes allow me to shoot. Action is the smoothest bolt action I have ever cycled. Reminds me of a bolt action version of a good lever action 30-30

Comment

Choosing either a 6.5 Creedmoor or 260AI I would go the AI if for no other reason than the very limited brass stretch of the AI case, did I mention I hate case trimming

Comment

The newest Hornady brass is better. The first two batches were not good. Third was better and now quantity of brass available with last run dropped price down to $1.

There is going to be a new release of this brass soon that will be good. Not Lapua but similar quality and made in the US. Headstamp is supposed to read 6.5 SAUM

Comment

Sorry OP, didn’t mean to add to the tangent off of your original question.
              260AI will beat the Creed at anything other than availability and ease of loading. You will need an extended mag box and notched bottom of action if you want to shoot heavies.

Comment

What powder are you using to get that velocity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been shooting my 260 AI for about the last 3 yrs and can give a little insight.

1) You can shoot regular 260 ammo if needed, while fire forming most groups are around .75". You MUST shoot regular 260 ammo in your rifle to obtain brass.

2) With my 24" barrel I'm getting between 2900-2950 with 140-143gr bullets vs 2800-2850 (from what I've seen)on the 6.5 CM.

3) When I chose the 260 AI, the 6.5 CM didn't have lapua brass but now they've both got brass support. Downside to fire forming for the 260 AI is time. If you don't have time to head to the range JUST to form brass to your chamber you should avoid the round. On the plus side, you don't have to worry about trimming brass like you would with the 6.5 CM or regular 260. From my reading, AI chambers are supposed to have longer barrel life, time will only tell if that's true. I'd expect 1200-1500 rnds from either of the rounds. Not sure how much you shoot, but thats quite a few rounds.

4) One thing I've been thinking of doing is switching over to an extended box mag, several of my loads are longer than the current magazine allows.

5) Many will say the minimal gain isn't worth it, but I disagree. I like that it's different than the current fad and it's forced me to fine tune my reloading ability.

6) I've been looking really hard at the 6.5 SAUM, it's shooting 140gr bullets around 3050-3080 fps. The difference in speed between the SAUM and 260 AI is about the same as the difference between the 6.5 CM and 260 AI, so for those that say the difference is minimal may as well throw out the 6.5 PRC and 6.5 SAUM as well.

What powder and charge are you using to get those velocities?

Comment

Originally posted by BDKeeling View Post
                    What powder and charge are you using to get those velocities?

I’m getting those velocities with ~48gr of RL26. Be sure and work your way up though. I tried H4831, H4350, and IMR 4451, speeds all hovered around 4800 +/- before running in to pressure. Quick load suggested RL26 would provide the best velocity, figured I’d give it a try and it was spot on.

Comment

I’m getting those velocities with ~48gr of RL26. Be sure and work your way up though. I tried H4831, H4350, and IMR 4451, speeds all hovered around 4800 +/- before running in to pressure. Quick load suggested RL26 would provide the best velocity, figured I’d give it a try and it was spot on.

I’ve got a Remington action and Krieger barrel put together by Precision Barrel work in 260. AI and I’m loving it for killing hogs. Doesn’t seem to matter whether I’m fire forming Lapua brass or what I’m shooting sub moa groups and dropping the hogs in their tracks. Bullet selection has run everywhere from Barnes LRX to Hornady ELDX,127 gr- 143 gr and they all group very good.

Comment

shot this one through both shoulders and shield, exit wound was $.50 sized with Barnes 127 gr LRX.

Comment

Originally posted by BDKeeling View Post
                          shot this one through both shoulders and shield, exit wound was $.50 sized with Barnes 127 gr LRX.

this one was #285 lbs and close enough to a Road we could get him on the scales. He was shot with 143 gr ELDX. You can tell he had massive exit wound from the amount of blood in the puddle that formed under him.

Comment

The more I use RL26 the more I like it. Started off using it in the 22-243 with impressive velocity and accuracy so trying it in a few more or will when get around to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              6.5-284 will shoot out a barrel much quicker than a 260AI.
                              Thanks - good to know. It's hard to find quantified information on the rare rounds beyond "burns barrels quickly" vs. "really really burns barrels quickly"

Comment

Working...
                              X