No announcement yet.

Public hunting scouting question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My scouting is very simple, review the hunting area via google maps and then get boots on the ground. Do lots of walking, look for sign and setup trail cameras in areas with sign (I use Master Locks on my cameras for safety). Find 3-5 spots showing deer on your cameras and then plan your stand locations accordingly.

Comment

And I wouldn't walk around this time of year without snake boots and lots of water.

Comment

Exactly, what public land are you refering too. Most public land that I've hunted were from drawn hunts. And there really is no scouting, since your hunting days are limited to about 2 to 3. And some of those hunts are pre-selected blinds. Unless you are refering to NWR's. Maybe I'm missing something.

Comment

Originally posted by lordvader View Post
          Exactly, what public land are you refering too. Most public land that I've hunted were from drawn hunts. And there really is no scouting, since your hunting days are limited to about 2 to 3. And some of those hunts are pre-selected blinds. Unless you are refering to NWR's. Maybe I'm missing something.
          You buy the $48 permit, you will get a map booklet of all the places. Might be able to even download it. So, yeah, you're missing something!!

Comment

where are you going to hunt, I might be able to help.

Comment

The further you get away from citified like Houston or Dallas you will have less people from my experiences. Hunting the national forests is a challenge in itself.

Comment

I used to scout in august and July but don't anymore. The landscape with totally change come fall. I don't get out until about late Sept.

Comment

Can someone tell me if this is likely a oak grove ? TIA

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Looks more like a low spot that normally holds water but is grown up with "buckbrush" to me. So thick you won't be able to see anything. Now, if you can find a spot in the taller trees around the edge of that lower stuff, that might work for you. Like that little opening just below your thumb nail.

Comment

ok im still gonna check it out but i think you are right. any way you tell oaks from pines on google maps? im hunting big thicket and it is thick everywhere.. im trying to find a oak flat that i can bow hunt in next season and trying to narrow down spots on google earth

Comment

I'd definitely check it out. The only "problem" I see with that picture is that it'll be hard to get in and out without making a lot of noise.

Usually pines and cedars are green all year. And both are typically not as big in diameter. Oaks tend to have a bigger circumference of the canopy. And they won't typically be jammed up around each other like the softer woods.

Look for changes in the terrain on the aerial photo, like a ridge or creek. Creeks will show up sometimes on those photos like a dark line. You may not be able to see the actual creek, but just a dark line through the trees. You will usually find oaks along creeks and ridges. Hope that helps.

Edit: after relooking at the picture, it almost looks like there may be a creekbed of some short just below your thumb, where I suggested the opening before.

Comment

you were right it was all oaks but it was about 6 inches of water for a square mile in there if it drys out might be a good spot

Comment

Which piece of public land are you thinking about hunting?

Comment

Typically, I scour google maps of the parcels I'm wanting to hunt. I'm looking for areas harder for other hunters to get to, funnels, bedding areas, creeks, etc. Then I drive out and walk around. If I see sign, I'll hand a trail camera and see what shows up. If I don't like what I see on camera, I pull them and scout a different area. I use 'masterlocks' to lock my cameras up. I've had one camera stolen but I left it out for months without checking it and it was in a high traffic area.

Comment

Any tips for the Turkey Hunters new to Texas?

Comment

Working...
                                X