No announcement yet.

We Should Do a Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool story. I'm going in July. Getting excited.

Comment

When my youngest boy was 11 I let him start bowhunting for deer. I bought him a Howatt Mamba pulling 30 lbs at his draw. I set him up in a tripod about 100 yds from me that I had been corning for several days. I arranged several sticks and rocks about 7 yds from his stand. He was told not to shoot unless the deer was within that cirlce.

I climbed up into my tripod and was waiting on the feeder to throw. About 30 mins into my hunt I hear him come running up from behind me. His eyes were wide and he was just about as excited as an eleven yr old could be. I said "Did you shoot something?" He said "Yes. A great big doe!" "Great! Where did you hit her?" He looked down and mumbled "Right in the butt."

I said "Uh OH, how long ago." He said "I ran here right after I shot." Well I was recupering from a torn achillies tendon and was wearing a cast so the walk through the woods took about 20 mins so we headed slowly that way.

We arrived at the tripod and within the circle was blood. Actually quite a bit. It lead straight up a steep hill that the stand was next too. "Well" I thought "That is not a good sign." There was a pretty decent blood trail so we started slowly climbing the hill.

After about 40 yds my son says "There she is!" We walked up to the deer. The spots were barely visible. The arrow had hit the deer in the hindquarter from the rear and went into the body cavity. My boy got a terrible look on his face and said "She looked a lot bigger when I shot her." I laughed and told him "Yeah they all do." When he realized that I was not mad he started smiling again and brushed the deer's coat. I told him "11 yrs old with a recurve, first deer thats a trophy. It won't be hard to shoot a bigger one now. You start dragging and I will go get the truck."

Comment

Great story Mike.

Comment

Tree Snake

When my boys were ages 7ish and 9ish, now 33 and 35 we went on a javalina hunt. I don't remember where. It was a 3 day hunt.

So we pull up fairly late. It was dark. We saw a camp fire so I headed the truck in that direction. There was a fire. A little guy sitting on a stump on the left. A good sized fellow in a hammock in the middle and a taller lanky guy if I remember correctly on the right.

As I pull up and my headlights hit the group they are looking at me probably blinded by the lights. Now what I saw looking at them was about a 5'-6' long snake with about half its body wrapped around a branch and the other half hanging and twisting in space about 4' directly above the guy on the hammock. The snake appeared to be looking for a soft place to land.

I got out of the truck. They started to protest about my lights which were still shining on them. I was pointing at the snake trying to explain myself. Well before I can say snake it got to be entertaining.

The tall lanky guy on the rights start saying in a very calm quiet voice, "Get out of the hammock real slow." The hammock guys says "What?" Lanky boy in a nice even tone "Get out of the hammock real slow."

Well about this time the guy on the left looks up and sees the snake. He does a back flip off the back of the stump and is now jumping up in down in place screaming "Get outta the hammock! Get outta the hammock!"

The guy on the right is still saying in a calming voice, "Get out of the hammock real slow." The other guy is having a --it fit.

Well the big fellow in the hammock finally looks up and sees the snake. He is desparately trying to get out of the hammock but those big buttons on the back pockets on his camo pants are caught and he cannot get out of the hamock.

He is trying to get out of the hammock. During all of this time the snake is doing a twisting and turning dance in the air above his head. His eye are wide and he said a few things......

He finally grabs the side of the hammock and flips it over and is trying to crawl off on his hands and knees but the hammock still has him by his butt buttons and keeps pulling him back under the snake. He is clawing the ground. He is screaming. His buddies are yelling. I am laughing my 4$$ off.

The buttons finally pop and he gets away. He then gets up walks up to the snake which is about eye level. He says "Oh, its just a king snake." He snatches it by the head and carrys it to his friends who tell him if he does not turn that thing loose far from camp they will kill him.

Funniest thing I have ever saw in my llife.
          Last edited by M.E.B.; 10-22-2014, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Hilarious Mike.

Comment

Mistaken Identity Kill

Ok I'll tell one on myself.

Several yrs ago my hunting buddy Lance and I were hunting that Fredericksburg ranch I have mentioned in several stories before. It was towards the end of Oct and we had worked the previous night. My youngest son Dusty was with us. Since we were arriving for the afternoon hunt and had been up all night we agreed we would only kill a nice buck as does on this place were pretty easy to come by and we were too tired to deal with cleaning anything but a trophy that evening.

So I am sitting on the stand and it starts getting close to the end of shooting light and this really big doe comes walking by. I am sitting about 16 feet up in a lock on. Well I noticed a MALE PART swinging under her belly. I took a second look. I could even see a bit of red where it should be. I starting thinking. Well I have heard of people shooting does with horns. But I had never heard of anyone ever shooting a buck with no horn pedicals. He looked just like a doe on top.

I think well this is weird. Gonna be calling a biologist tonight. I drew back and made a perfect walking shot on the deer and it turns and bounds off the way that it came. I heard it fall and thrash for a second and then all was quiet. I crawled down and just about ran to camp. I was gonna have some fun with my buddy and son with this one.

I got to camp and told them I had shot a deer. They said "So you shot a trophy buck." "Yep" I said. "This one is really special." They wanted to know size and points and all I would tell them was they were not gonna believe it until they saw it.

So I pretty much walked straight up to the deer as I had heard where it had fallen. They both said "You shot a doe." I said "Thats what yall think. Look at this!" I raised it's rear leg and grabbed its man part and starting shaking it while turning my head to look at their faces. See its got a ----.

My buddy Lance had a look of disbelief on his face. "That's not a ----, its a teet. She walked past me last week. Its swollen and hanging way down. See the reddness on the tip. I think its infected." I looked down at the teet in my hand and my spirits sank.

Lance said. I'll go get the truck but you're cleaning that one on your own."
              Last edited by M.E.B.; 11-07-2014, 10:58 PM.

Comment

The One That Got Away (ME)

It was September and we were hunting Caribou in Alaska. We were hunting the Mulchatna herd west of Lake Iliamna. I was using a 65 lb longbow with Port Orford cedar arrows tipped with a 2-blade Magnus broadhead. There were three of us on the hunt. We had been dropped off at a high mountain lake by float plane. There was a small grove of trees above the lake that had a nice little stream running through it. My buddy Dennis had hunted the area the year before and had traced the stream out to to it’s head where it came out of the mountain just above camp so we knew it was safe to drink out of. Many stream in Alaska look inviting, but still may contain Ghiardia so you have to be careful.

We set up camp, with the kitchen set up 100 yards from the sleeping tents. There were lots of bears in the area. After we got camp set up we gathered firewood and relaxed for the afternoon. In Alaska you can’t hunt on the same day you’re airborne. This was on the tundra so there are very few trees. Fortunately, there was a lot of driftwood piled up on the shores of the lake and this supplied a ready source of fuel for the fire.

Next morning after a good breakfast we set out to hunt. I made sure all my necessities were loaded into my backpack. When hunting wilderness areas like this you need to be prepared for any emergency. Besides the normal hunting stuff I carry I had added some emergency items. I had a 2 day supply of freeze-dried food, a small folding back-pack stove, stainless steel cup, a space blanket, water purification tablets ,extra socks, extra down vest, rain gear, water proof matches, small first aid kit, extra compass, signal whistle, signaling mirror and paraffin fire starter. I also had a walkie-talkie but figured it would be of limited use in the mountainous terrain. Russ and Dennis would be hunting the ridges north of camp and I would be hunting the mountain south of camp.

After a couple of hours of hiking, I found myself on top of the ridge where I had a good vantage point for glassing. I made myself comfortable and started to glass. I could see a couple of small bands of caribou but nothing I wanted to take. I continued to glass and saw more small bands of caribou, still nothing I wanted to stalk. Just before it was time to start back to camp I spotted a black bear on the slope below me. Since, in addition to my caribou tags I had a black bear tag I was interested. He was moving pretty fast so I didn’t think I could catch up to him. But since he was between me and camp I decided to give it a try. I did not catch sight of him again. Russ and Dennis arrived back at camp 20-30 minutes after I did. Russ had taken a small black bear. We put the bear meat in the stream downstream from camp and Russ salted down the hide.

Next morning when we got up we could see caribou on the ridge across the lake as well as on the ridge west of us. Since the ridge across the lake was near where I had hunted the previous day I would try for them. Russ and Dennis would go after the ones west of us. It took a couple hours to hike to the ridge top, and when I got there no caribou could be seen. I prepared myself to spend the day glassing as the day before. I saw a few scattered caribou and a couple of black bears, but everything was too small or not in a good position to stalk. When I got back to camp Russ and Dennis were already there. Dennis had killed a caribou cow and he was taking care of the meat. Russ was grilling some bear steaks over a bed of alder coals. This was a young bear and he had been gorging on blueberries. That was some of the best meat I’ve ever eaten.

The third morning we elected to hunt the same areas we had the first morning. I got to my vantage point and settled in for some serious glassing. About mid-morning I spotted a band of caribou with a decent bull in the bunch. But they were moving fast and didn’t present an opportunity for a stalk. A few minutes later I spotted a black bear in a blueberry patch on the slope opposite me. It looked like he would be in the patch for a while so I decided to try a stalk. Using my binoculars I picked out a route that would take advantage of the alder thickets and a couple of ravines that would keep me out of sight until I was in position. I strapped my backpack on and started my stalk. One hour later I had arrived at the head of the ravine that abutted the berry patch the bear was in. It had been at least 30 minutes since I had last been able to see the bear so I was hoping he was still in the patch. As quietly as I could I eased out of my backpack and nocked an arrow. I gave myself a few minutes to prepare and then eased up out of the ravine, longbow at ready.

When I cleared the top of the ravine the bear stood up about 20 yards away and stared at me. He was black but he wasn’t a black bear – he was pure grizzly. We stood there and stared at each other for an eternity. It was running through my mind that if he came for me I was a goner. What should I do? I thought that if I just stood still he might not perceive me as a threat, but I also realized I was probably within his discomfort zone. He began to show some signs of irritation so I decided I needed to do something. I knew I couldn’t out run him and running would probably provoke a chase response. There were no trees to climb. I was confident that I could kill him with my longbow, but I could not stop a charge. I decided that my only course of action was to slowly back over the lip of the ravine. I began to slowly back up, never taking my eyes off the bear. When I was out of sight I dropped my bow and unstrapped the .300 Win Mag from my backpack. That big Magnum was a comfort but I didn’t want to try to stop a charge at point-blank range. As quietly as I could I gathered up my bow and backpack and eased my way down the ravine. It was still early but I made my way back to camp, I was through hunting for the day.
                Last edited by Phillip Fields; 11-09-2014, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Good story. Looks like you were almost bear poop.

Comment

Yeah, the pucker factor was pretty high for awhile.

Comment

Anybody else?

Comment

Still waiting the inspiration for my chapter

Comment

ttt

Comment

Alot of good stories here.

MEB I like the one about your boy's "Great Big Doe" Made me chuckle!

Comment

Thought I would bring this back to the top.

Comment

ttt

Comment

Working...
                                X