Reloading 7mm Mag brass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading 7mm Mag brass

My daughter's boyfriend has been hand loading his hunting ammo for years, and offered to reload some of my 7mm Rem Mag brass (I have around 40). I'm shooting the 140 grain Barnes Vor-tx which I shot a 3-shot group inside a 1" bullseye at 200 yards with the Tikka T3 a couple weeks ago- I'm not looking to experiment with new loads at that weight.

I was thinking loading some heavy bullets 180 or heavier for future moose or bear hunting. Any better ideas so I can take him up on the offer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love berger bullets in my .308 calibers. Working up 168 gr berger loads for my dads 7mag right now. We are using retumbo.

Comment

I could recommend the Barnes 145 gr LRX bullet. I shoot it in my 7mm RUM and it is Barne's long range bullet. I have shot everything from 110 gr to 160 gr Barnes bullets in my RUM and they all shoot very well.
      I also use H1000 powder for all of those bullets.

Comment

Heavy bullet:

Reloading info:

I must say, the tech people at Berger are first rate. I have called a couple of times with questions, and they have been fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

You need to verify your rate of twist before stepping up to anything too big and long like the bergers. I would stick with a bonded bullet like an accubond for normal hunting bullets if you don't need to be shooting very far.

Comment

Spec sheet says 1 in 9.5 twist rate. I'm not looking for longer distance than a 140 or 160 will do, it was for hunting larger game (moose if I can draw a tag).

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
              Spec sheet says 1 in 9.5 twist rate. I'm not looking for longer distance than a 140 or 160 will do, it was for hunting larger game (moose if I can draw a tag).

Was that the spec sheet for your rifle? If so then you should be able to handle up to a 180. The 195's need a 1:9 twist typically to stabilize. I've been slinging 180 Bergers out of my Remington 700, but I rebarreled it with a Bartlein 1:9 barrel.

Comment

Are you limited to lead free bullets?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  You need to verify your rate of twist before stepping up to anything too big and long like the bergers. I would stick with a bonded bullet like an accubond for normal hunting bullets if you don't need to be shooting very far.
                  Spot on trophy8! Before I went to Africa I tried working up 175 gr Barnes TSX bullets in my 7mm RUM. They would not stablize and were key holing so bad at 100 yards it was incredible.

I dropped down the 160 gr Barnes TSX and dialed it in to put 5 shots in quarter at 100 yards.

Comment

160 accubond. Done and done.

Comment

Thanks guys for sharing the information.

Comment

I have some 160 gr AccuBonds on the bench right now going into my 7mag brass. I tested a few powder charges the other day and found one that resulted in a 3-shot cloverleaf at 100 yards.

Comment

just loaded some 168 classic hunters for my 7. could'nt find load data with berger so used the vld load recommendations.
                          Excited about using a 168gr, seems like a stud of a round.
                          A buddy had a pound of Accurate Magpro so i loaded 70grs in them.
                          anyone have any other loads theyve liked?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                            Are you limited to lead free bullets?

No, but.....
                            I'm not in the so-called condor zone, so not now. Yes in the future by law. My buddy who's a hunting machine lives out if state and said the Barnes Vor-Tx are the best penetrating bullet. One man's opinion- but the largest pig I've see was dropped by him in it's tracks with them.

So.... I'm shooting them now. The Tikka likes them, too. I shot a sub 1" 3 shot group at 200 yards a month ago, that's more than good enough for my purposes.

Comment

Reloading 7mm Mag brass

No, but.....
                              I'm not in the so-called condor zone, so not now. Yes in the future by law. My buddy who's a hunting machine lives out if state and said the Barnes Vor-Tx are the best penetrating bullet. One man's opinion- but the largest pig I've see was dropped by him in it's tracks with them.

So.... I'm shooting them now. The Tikka likes them, too. I shot a sub 1" 3 shot group at 200 yards a month ago, that's more than good enough for my purposes.

The Barnes TTSX (Vortex) is a very accurate bullet and is extremely tough and deep penetrating. They really shine on deer size game when pushed lite and fast so that you get good expansion.

I loaded them for 3 rifles but have veered away, every gun shot them great and every deer shot with them was recovered but every deer ran at least 50-75 yards after the shot with solid behind the shoulder hits.

All that to say I have better success with Accubonds.

Comment

Working...
                              X