Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you position protein feeder in feed pen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you position protein feeder in feed pen?

Fixing to triple the size of my feed pen with protein feeder. Will be approximately 60' diameter and round to oval shape.

For y'all that have similar sized protein feed pens, do y'all place the free choice feeder directly in the middle or off to one side?

I also have a directional corn feeder in the pen, and was considering making the pen oval to shoot corn across it in a line for better deer placement for shots while hunting.

Just want to hear everyone's ideas and experience.... Thanks

Wherever I can put my camera easiest and get good close up pics lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We always place our free choice/gravity feeders in the middle of our pens.

It has always worked the best for us. Deer always bypass the corn first and head straight for the protein, then the corn holds them up a little longer once they are finished with the protein.

Comment

My wife's and my setups - protein near the middle and Krivoman directionals on each end. Awesome for hunting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160722_194305_resized - Copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	24495153
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20160730_155909_resized - Copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	24495154

Comment

Now those are some great set ups! Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
            Now those are some great set ups! Nice work!
            Thanks! The 1500# protein feeder in the first picture has since been replaced with a 3000#. The way things are positioned, deer constantly roam from one end of the pen to the other during feeding hours/hunting hours. We love it.

Comment

Protein feeder and camera on South end of pen. I always try to position camera facing North. Corn feeder in middle, unless I'm using a directional.

Comment

I am considering something like this to utilize the most area within the feed pen to have the best shot opportunities on deer inside. Only 3 deer can feed per time at protein feeder, but the directional feeder can supply a lot more area for deer to feed.
                Your thoughts on pros/cons?

Just don't want to lose the pen area behind the protein feeder that I can get a shot at.... make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like to have my protein feeder in the center of the pen directly in front of my blind. I put my directional corn feeder to my right and about 15-20 yds.out. That keeps the deer feeding to my right and left. The most dominate buck is always 3-10 yds. from the feeder because most of the corn is there. That puts them just to the right of my center. The pic here is from the corn feeder and my blind is to the left.
                  [ATTACH]855015[/ATTACH]

Comment

I also put my camera on the directional feeder so you get pics from both feeders.

Comment

I put my free choice protein in the middle of the pen, mainly to give them more room to jump in the pen. I also do not hunt over my protein pens.

Comment

Working...
                      X