East TX vs. West TX leases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pilar View Post
    Blah blah blah you guys in that neck of the woods, are all foot work and no yardage!!! All this talk and not much on photos
    Like I said earlier I really don't want to drive to some place that requires more time, money, effort for less results just seems counterproductive
    I could kill a deer every sit...

The thing is, i hunt Alot. I live spending time in the woods yearound.

And i dont post pics anymore because people are prone to do really stupid stuff over deer

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      Yeah, we got our freaks too ! Some of them are even deer !

Here's a poor old skinny, pencil necked freak !
      They're just inbred and weird here, when you can find that magical unicorn we call a deer.

Sometimes they grow them down

Sometimes they mess up and grow them straight out. Bunch of misfits!
      Attached Files

Comment

My East Texas lease price has been going up for years. I may just start hunting public land with a trip to Missouri and Kansas once a year. I used to be able to hunt East Texas for less than 500 a year. Now it's a grand. Best deer I've taken at our lease top right. 147

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
          Blah blah blah you guys in that neck of the woods, are all foot work and no yardage!!! All this talk and not much on photos
          There's a reason we don't post our pics!!!

Comment

I'd go west. No deer in east texas[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

East Texas has some very nice deer but they don't come in numbers and are very hard to hunt. West Texas everyday you will see so many more animals.

Comment

If I was you and was planning on driving 6 hours to the west I would just find a place in Mexico to hunt a lot of deer and some big ones as well

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                  There's a reason we don't post our pics!!!
                  ***disclaimer for photos: all deer were harmed in the posting of those pics.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                    Totally agree. If you havent read YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A FARM thread by Elgato. Go read it. That will show you what East Tx can do..
                    Elgato is also doing it on private land. No worries of a timber company driving in at anytime and clearing everything you worked for. He does do an awesome job.The majority of hunting leases in East Tx are timber company land. You are basically playing Russian roulette when you join a timber company lease. Also, the soil in East Tx is no where near the rich soil he has in La. I know because I grew up in that area.

If you can get on a East Tx privately owned lease that is the way to go and less risky.
                    Last edited by Bayouboy; 08-10-2017, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I love hunting the piney woods. I have been leasing our property for 7 years and always kill a deer or 2 every year. Always have a couple 130's and a 150 or two running around. Yes it is harder hunting, some people like it and some don't. There are no deer in East Texas
                      Attached Files

Comment

It just depends on your personal preference. I'd rather drive 6 hours and see deer every hunt than drive 30minutes to see zero deer over the course of a weekend. Only way I would pay to hunt a piece of property with a pine tree on it, would be with a tall fence around it.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                          It just depends on your personal preference. I'd rather drive 6 hours and see deer every hunt than drive 30minutes to see zero deer over the course of a weekend. Only way I would pay to hunt a piece of property with a pine tree on it, would be with a tall fence around it.
                          I'm the exact opposite..no pines and I lose interest easily. Had a 320ac place to hunt for free 20 minutes from San Antonio for several years..hunted it once, saw deer, had a lot on camera, would rather drive 6hrs East (and did most weekends)

Comment

East TX vs. West TX leases

West Texas proud here for 10 years.

To me...a deer lease is about so much more than inches or lbs..... but West Texas has a nice amount of both. The entire experience is what I look for.

I like seeing deer... even if I don't trip my release all year on a "monster". I enjoy watching deer as much as I enjoy shooting them. I don't hunt to watch birds (turkeys are OK[emoji51].) Seeing deer is fun ...killing several deer a year is even more fun..

I love the people out west. They are a friendly bunch and laid back as a whole. The egos are checked at the gate.

I like the large leases and low members counts. I like leases where the deer herd health/numbers are more important than keeping the cost of the lease fee down. 7 hunters on 2400 acres of oak and mesquite is so much enjoyable than 25 folks on 800 acres of pines with 10 white oak trees. Less folks equals less problems and more deer for everybody.

I love the dry heat.... I also love the dry crisp mornings during winter. I love the lack of mosquitos and bugs in general. Rats and mice are also rare at our place.

I like all my **** to be there when I arrive at the lease. I like being able to leave stuff at my lease and know it's going to be there when I drive up. Hauling back what I have at my lease each trip would be a major PITA. Replacing it all because some methhead stole it would be even more of a PITA.

I like not having pictures of poachers and hog doggers. I like not having my hunt ruined by the guy on his 5 acres next door practicing for World War 3.

I love the smell of burning mesquite and ribeyes searing over it.

I hate..... the drive. .. especially on Sunday.

I hate 105 deg workdays in the summer.

I hated the 2010-2011 drought

My loves and likes far outweigh my hates though....

Did I say I love seeing deer?
                            Last edited by Smart; 08-10-2017, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I've lived in ne Texas all my life. Started hunting south of Sweetwater 8 years ago and now don't hardly bother hunting my own 125 acres behind my house

Comment

There are no deer in west Texas. Please don't come, it ain't worth it! All we got is small body, tiny antlers, and they are tough to come by... ain't worth the drive!

Comment

Working...
                                X