Hog dogging affect on deer hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Birddog66 View Post
    Thanks for the responses, please keep them coming.

Sounds like the timing thing is important. My initial thoughts are that traps and rifle hunting would be a more effective means of knocking down over-all pig numbers. We are a bow only lease, but in the process of asking to rifle hunt the pigs in the off season. This whole thing kinda came out of nowhere and most of us are like"Really? a pig problem?" If I knew of a concentration of pigs on our place, I would have already been hunting them.

On an archery only lease, I would be ******.... although dogs generally won't displace deer out of their home ranges, you better bet it will effect their comfort and patterning on a property. I would say don't let them run them any closer than 2 months before season. Otherwise, you will end up with nocturnal, pressured bucks much earlier than normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I lived on a ranch off 57 when I was in my 20s. We ran hogs 3 to 4 nights a week at the request of the farmer tenant. The deer we saw just stood and stared for the most part and the deer hunters on the lease continued to see lots of deer.and took some good bucks. So, from experience, I say that good clean dogs will.not scare off the deer at all.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
        On an archery only lease, I would be ******.... although dogs generally won't displace deer out of their home ranges, you better bet it will effect their comfort and patterning on a property. I would say don't let them run them any closer than 2 months before season. Otherwise, you will end up with nocturnal, pressured bucks much earlier than normal.

Yes and as Rack stated, these particular deer are spooky as heck. Toughest deer to hunt I've ever seen, and most others on lease say the same thing. That was before the dogs.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

On my place dogs will run deer off and they stay off for a few days. Difference it the neighbors dogs are always "hunting" anything they can chase within a couple of miles of their house. I have TC pics of them on my place and have seen them several times. I have seen them "hunting" while I was in the deer blind. One morning they chased some deer off of another feeder then came into where I was hunting. I saw 34 deer that morning and the next 3 days in 6 hunts I did not see that many deer combined. Now if any dog or coyote or hog or bobcat is seen at a blind it will spook deer as soon as the deer see it. Just dogs barking get the deer nervous enough for them to ease away from the noise. Hog dogs in my area will do the same thing.

Comment

I have had dogs ruin my hunts a few times and not all were chasing the deer. One thing I have learned dogs will back track the way they came when they get tired of chasing.

Comment

Ask if you can go with them if you want to see dogs work. They wo y run the deer off.

Comment

Here is the deal - We (my deer lease group) just found out yesterday that the farmer on our deer lease(not the LO, fyi) has recently had hog doggers out to our place in order to keep the pig population in check. Historically, we have not had many pigs, which has been somewhat surprising to me, given the general area (Hare, Tx). They move through occasionally and hit feeders, but not enough consistency to hunt, imo. Yes, we have signed lease agreements and exclusive hunting rights. Yes, we know the LO in in breach of our agreement but nobody is interested in going Johnie Cockran over some hog doggers at this point. I have zero experience with hog dogging and know nothing about the affects if has on the deer herd and deer hunting. I'm a dog guy and owned pit-bulls for 2 decades before I got into gsp's. I have always wanted to go along on a dog hog-hunt just to watch the dogs work, I think it's something I would enjoy.

Please help me with some insight from people with firsthand knowledge and experience. Our lease renewal is coming up in a couple months -

1) What kind of affect does hog dogging have on deer hunting?

2) Is it a viable method to help control the pig population?
                As long as you stop it before the fawns are born, I think it causes minimal effect

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                  X2.

I grew up running walkers for deer and there were many mornings where we'd jump the same deer in the same place that we had the day before.

If deer ran off and left every time something chased/spooked them, NOONE would be able to track a certain buck for 3 or 4 years....
                  I still go every year and do the same thing and know we can jump deer in the same location two days in a row. so you should be fine. we have a member on our deer lease running dogs about every weekend and I am fine with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dang_ol View Post
                    I still go every year and do the same thing and know we can jump deer in the same location two days in a row. so you should be fine. we have a member on our deer lease running dogs about every weekend and I am fine with it.

We may hunt the same place. This is my first year on a place in Corrigan and we have dogs being run too. But to the OPs point, I have no issue with this being done, and no lack of deer on camera.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                      As long as you stop it before the fawns are born, I think it causes minimal effect
                      It appears the hog doggers have been given free run of the place, not a lot we can do or say about it, other than not renew. I'm going to ask for some kind of a "time-frame" as far as hunting season goes.

One more question - Do you guys run dogs throughout the summer? Does it ever get too hot for your dogs? I'm in Eastern portion of Central Texas and it gets very humid/hot in July-Aug.

Comment

I agree with what some others have said. If they are good dogs and do not run deer, I don't think they should be too big of a problem.

Comment

Hog dogging affect on deer hunting?

It appears the hog doggers have been given free run of the place, not a lot we can do or say about it, other than not renew. I'm going to ask for some kind of a "time-frame" as far as hunting season goes.

One more question - Do you guys run dogs throughout the summer? Does it ever get too hot for your dogs? I'm in Eastern portion of Central Texas and it gets very humid/hot in July-Aug.

If your signed lease says "exclusive hunting rights" I would push for at least a partial refund if the LO isn't willing to keep them off during/before season.

Comment

Yes, I run mine year round, but again, my favorite time is during deer season. Temps are cooler and the hogs are hitting the feeders as they go off in the first part of the season. When hogs come out, the deer leave. So a deer hunting operation that only sees hogs at the feeder and no deer...hmmmm, not good. Run the dogs and the hogs will do two things, move away from the pressure and go nocturnal. Now deer come out when the feeder goes off and the hunters are happy. If only those freakin' javelina would do the same. Hate those things...corn thieves and dog killers.
                            I bow hunt on the ranch as well, I believe I am the only one that does, and I see the same deer on my trail cam pics everyday, like clockwork.
                            The original poster stated his particular conditions. Small property, crop land, etc., and so for him, dogs could be a problem. But it's been repeated here in this thread, deer don't just leave the country when a dog comes through. They are hunted everyday of their lives by coyotes, bobcats, roaming dogs, and mt. lions, they just don't pack up and move into a safe zone.
                            There is a man that hunts the ranch that I hunt on and thankfully he doesn't make any decisions on the ranch, but he initially bad mouthed my running the dogs every chance he got telling the foreman it would ruin the deer hunting and my atvs would tear up the land. After 15 years, the deer hunting has improved and my atvs have not torn up the land. Hogs on the other hand continually root the roads up so badly you can't hardly drive on them in many areas and they will ruin a deer hunt every time they show up. He has since changed his toon and has no problem with the dogs, my atvs, or when I hunt. So it proves, you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Comment

So your saying you are off the property by 2. hunters go out around 3ish I would be interested in the number of mature bucks that show up during daylight hours not the young and dumb bucks

Comment

Hot Dogs

Originally posted by RACK View Post
                                Hog dogs will never Ever put even a small dent on the hog population. Most doggers I know do it for sport and practice for their dog training. They could care less about your deer , feeding program, hunting area ,etc. The worst thing in the world you can do for a deer place is put dogs on it and that's just a fact. The deer will flat out leave the area as the dog pressure increases. Most will never come back if they have cover ,browse,and water elsewhere.
                                I disagree with this, I'll start by saying I do not or have never owned or ran hog dogs personally. My family owns about 500 acres in Madison County, sometimes we get so covered up with hogs that they move the deer around. I have used guy's with dogs to catch and run the hogs off our place, it's amazing how far they run sometimes. Running the hogs a few times usually the same week tends to clear them off our place, the deer generally show right back up, usually better than when we had the hog problems, I would not make a habit out of using the dogs, but used correctly they help us.

Comment

Working...
                                X