No announcement yet.

Lake Grapevine 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My group of 4 was drawn. Been 2 years since I've been back in those woods due to flooding, but I know exactly where my old set up is. Will have a few hunts in early November and mid December for sure!

Comment

I quit going. Nothing is ever available. Maybe someday I'll make the sacrifice and get up early...

Comment

I really enjoy reading all of your comments. I went deer hunting for 1st x as a kid with my dad, before he got hurt. During a Thanksgiving trip home (around Rayburn Lake) in 2013, my brother sat me in one of those "chair in a bag" with a gun in my hand and said "point there and wait." I sat there 5am and 3:30pm for 3 days and didn't see a thing, but the love for the woods started there. I went back home for Christmas and this time, he had a lease, with a feeder on it. I sat in a lean-to and almost fired at something, but the light wasn't right for me to see what I was shooting at w/ a 100%, so I did the right thing, as a rookie and let it walk. By this point, I'm really getting hooked. 2014 season, I didn't see anything during Thanksgiving.
        After that season 2014, I said that I need to find something closer to DFW, around my home so that I can take these few Scouting tips (rubs, scraps, deer highways, pinch points, down/up wind, pop-up blinds, tree climbers etc.) and put it to use. I bought a gun and a crossbow (I know, I need to get a compound or longbow) and started with Tawakoni for all of Oct. and saw a few doe's. During general season, I went to Hunt County (all public land) and hunted every single Saturday and Sunday. I watched a spike walk in front of me 30 yards and it had extra points on it, so I thought it was a 4pt. but learned that less than one inch, it's legal. I saw doe's stop and dance in front of me for 10 mins, 10 yards out. I was so amazed at the nature I saw before my eyes, but didn’t shoot anything with a gun there either. During the extended season, to make this story short, the day before close...its 7:45am, I’m playing with my phone, recording this cool little spot, (that another very kind bow hunter shared with me, he knew I was putting the time in and really trying hard.) This spike walks into the screen and looks up at me and then I fire and I got my 1st deer ever with that crossbow on video. I did the whole tracking thing and said "Crap, now what do I do? I don’t know how to clean this thing…" I figured it out, bought a grinder and we had some good meat in the freezer. I can tell you I have BUCK FEVER and can’t stop thinking about the woods.
        I wrote all of this, 1. Because I have learned a lot from reading these forms, and thankful for the tips that y'all share on here and 2. Because I applied for the deer lottery, around Lake Grapevine and also have been drawn for one of those "Golden Tickets!" I'm very excited and I will do my best, to get something and hopefully something bigger than a spike, but I’m not hunting racks yet, I want meat in the freezer!! Happy Hunting Season to you ALL & WISH ME GOOD LUCK... ! :-)
        Last edited by Double-AA; 08-26-2016, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Double-AA View Post
          I really enjoy reading all of your comments. I went deer hunting for 1st x as a kid with my dad, before he got hurt. During a Thanksgiving trip home (around Rayburn Lake) in 2013, my brother sat me in one of those "chair in a bag" with a gun in my hand and said "point there and wait." I sat there 5am and 3:30pm for 3 days and didn't see a thing, but the love for the woods started there. I went back home for Christmas and this time, he had a lease, with a feeder on it. I sat in a lean-to and almost fired at something, but the light wasn't right for me to see what I was shooting at w/ a 100%, so I did the right thing, as a rookie and let it walk. By this point, I'm really getting hooked. 2014 season, I didn't see anything during Thanksgiving.
          After that season 2014, I said that I need to find something closer to DFW, around my home so that I can take these few Scouting tips (rubs, scraps, deer highways, pinch points, down/up wind, pop-up blinds, tree climbers etc.) and put it to use. I bought a gun and a crossbow (I know, I need to get a compound or longbow) and started with Tawakoni for all of Oct. and saw a few doe's. During general season, I went to Hunt County (all public land) and hunted every single Saturday and Sunday. I watched a spike walk in front of me 30 yards and it had extra points on it, so I thought it was a 4pt. but learned that less than one inch, it's legal. I saw doe's stop and dance in front of me for 10 mins, 10 yards out. I was so amazed at the nature I saw before my eyes, but didn’t shoot anything with a gun there either. During the extended season, to make this story short, the day before close...its 7:45am, I’m playing with my phone, recording this cool little spot, (that another very kind bow hunter shared with me, he knew I was putting the time in and really trying hard.) This spike walks into the screen and looks up at me and then I fire and I got my 1st deer ever with that crossbow on video. I did the whole tracking thing and said "Crap, now what do I do? I don’t know how to clean this thing…" I figured it out, bought a grinder and we had some good meat in the freezer. I can tell you I have BUCK FEVER and can’t stop thinking about the woods.
          I wrote all of this, 1. Because I have learned a lot from reading these forms, and thankful for the tips that y'all share on here and 2. Because I applied for the deer lottery at on Lake Grapevine and also have been drawn for one of those "Golden Tickets!" I'm very excited and I will do my best, to get something and hopefully something bigger than a spike, but I’m not hunting racks yet, I want meat in the freezer!! Happy Hunting Season to you ALL & WISH ME GOOD LUCK... ! :-)
          Congrats on getting the ticket, and on having a taste of success in the past! Grapevine is a special place, yet can be downright frustrating at times. my first year hunting the vine i saw zero, yes 0, deer. i scouted, hunted, almost gave up... the second year out i saw deer every time i hit the woods...boy i'm glad i didn't quit. this year will be my 3rd and i am not going home without a nice buck this year!

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
            Congrats on getting the ticket, and on having a taste of success in the past! Grapevine is a special place, yet can be downright frustrating at times. my first year hunting the vine i saw zero, yes 0, deer. i scouted, hunted, almost gave up... the second year out i saw deer every time i hit the woods...boy i'm glad i didn't quit. this year will be my 3rd and i am not going home without a nice buck this year!
            Thank you, TopShot! I'll give it all I GOT.... I can't wait!

Comment

Have y'all heard about the 377 train tracks? Crazy!

Comment

No what happened?

Comment

Train derailment http://www.star-telegram.com/news/st...e97107327.html

Comment

Probably ran over a 190'' antler shed on the tracks...

Comment

Probably ran over a 190'' antler shed on the tracks...
                      Typo Troy. You for got the decimal point.

Probably ran over a 19.0'' antler shed on the tracks... Better

Comment

At least that homeless dude that lives out there, will have some coal to burn this winter to stay warm.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                          How do you figure 50%?

There is no way odds are 50% on getting drawn. I am 1 in 5 years and many others on here are worse than that. I dont get 50% from that math even when you average it off the people who get drawn year after year
                          well this is my 4th year to hunt in 5 seasons to put in sir so thats about 80 percent ! sorry for the others not having any luck with it! i acctually dont mind the way it is

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                            Agreed! I first put in for the vine back in 2011 and got drawn my very first year. Didn't realize what kind of bowhunters paradise it was until my buddy shot a stud of a buck out of it. I hadn't even thought about hunting it until he came out of there with a giant. Waited another 3 years to get drawn last year. I made sure I hunted it hard. Still came up empty handed, but I saw tons of game. Got very lucky and drew a tag this season as well. Luck of the draw I guess, but I'll be sure to hunt it hard cause getting a permit here; heck even having this place to hunt isn't guaranteed. Good luck to all this season! It's going to be a good one!
                            he was a stud !!!!!! man i cant wait for november

Comment

Duck hunted there once years ago but have not since.

Comment

I'm kind of hoping it rains this year like last year. Keeps the hunters to a minimum, makes access a little more difficult, and it ought to make for some good late season duck hunting! I'm going out for a little preseason scouting session in the morning! Can't wait!

Comment

Working...
                                X