No announcement yet.

Need help trouble shooting a scope on an AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just scanned the responses. So this may have been discussed. Some high end gas guns build 20MOA in their rails. So if you use a 20MOA mount then your at 40MOA, which pushes the limits of most scopes from center. Probably not the case, just an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post
      Just scanned the responses. So this may have been discussed. Some high end gas guns build 20MOA in their rails. So if you use a 20MOA mount then your at 40MOA, which pushes the limits of most scopes from center. Probably not the case, just an idea.

That's a great point! I didn't think about that. I just checked the Falcor website and they didn't mention a built in 20moa but that doesn't mean it isn't. If I were them I'd probably build it in on a 300wm. I'll be curious to hear from the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
        Any updates?

Something is wrong with your scope or your mount. It's possible there's an issue with the upper receiver but that's a VERY unlikely culprit; especially given the high-end manufacturer. Even some of the suggested issues regarding how you went about mounting the scope to the base or the base to the receiver in NO way could account for you running out of adjustment on a 100yd zero. They can certainly cause issues and should be avoided, for sure, but they're not going to throw you that far off.

Do you have another scope and rings you could try, just to verify that the issue isn't with the receiver? If not, I'd go buy a cheap set of high rings and remount the scope. If the problem is solved you know there's no issue with your receiver (which is the only terrible scenario) and you'll be able to play with your rifle. If the problem is still there, then you know your problem lies in the scope.

I never really understood whether you ran out of elevation adjustment, windage adjustment or both? Running out of windage would concern me worse than elevation only because with that particular scope maybe there's not a lot of elevation adjustment in the first place and the 20moa mount may have eaten up a lot of what was available. You should NEVER run out of windage adjustment on a simple zero. That problem implies a MAJOR issue with one component or another. If you were closer I'd invite you to come over we could try some different scopes and mounts to isolate your problem

I ran out of both. I remounted the scope from the original mount from the gun shop and had the same result. The scope came off another 300 win bolt action I put a VX6 on. I had a Night Force NXS as a spare but a few months ago, I decided it was stupid to have that sitting in the safe and moved some scopes around to make the Nikon my spare.

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
          That's a great point! I didn't think about that. I just checked the Falcor website and they didn't mention a built in 20moa but that doesn't mean it isn't. If I were them I'd probably build it in on a 300wm. I'll be curious to hear from the OP.

If I have time tomorrow I'll call Falkor and ask them.

The problem I have is the lack of outside shooting ranges in and around Baton Rouge. I was a member at one that was about 30 minutes away and it shut down. There is Nicks but it's about and hr away along with Sherburn Range down a long gravel road that's about 1 hr to an 1.5 away. My old range that shut down is reopening a range about 30 minutes from my house but won't open for another 2 months.

Last edited by Black Ice; 09-28-2017, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
            I ran out of both. I remounted the scope from the original mount from the gun shop and had the same result. The scope came off another 300 win bolt action I put a VX6 on. I had a Night Force NXS as a spare but a few months ago, I decided it was stupid to have that sitting in the safe and moved some scopes around to make the Nikon my spare.

Ok. Then, I'm thinking the issue HAS to be either the scope or the upper receiver. Unless there's something majorly wrong with the rifle, which I doubt.

Wish you were closer. Good luck and let us know what you end up figuring out! Sorry for your hassles - I'd be plenty upset.

Comment

It's actually a m-223xr with 20 moa.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                It's actually a m-223xr with 20 moa.

Is the mount that was designed for a .223 flexing under the recoil of a .300 WM?

Comment

mount

The mount would be fine for a .300 Win.mag. I doubt that your upper has 20MOA built in to it? Many years ago I had an issue just like you are having with a .223 from a major manuf.. I sent it back to them, they said it was fixed and the piece of tape I put over the end of the barrel was still intact even though they said it shot great for them. Needless to say it was returned for refund. A new mount might be worth a try or just sending everything back and seeing what the manuf. can figure out.

Comment

Working...
                  X