Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sika View Post
    Question for y'all...sorry I didn't read every page on the thread so if my question has been asked before, I apologize in advance!

I just bought a Ruger American .300 BLK. I have already ordered a suppressor. I want to use it for shooting critters at night. Shots will be well under 100 yards and most under 50 yards. I have done a little research on night vision vs. thermal scopes vs. a red dot sight and light and I'm just overwhelmed by the options.
    Say your budget is $1000. What would you get?
    For short range (300AAC is a short range night round) I'd go with that Pulsar RXQ30V. That's the least expensive thermal scope on the market presently at 1899. There's nothing really around a grand that will get it done unfortunately. Better to save a few hundred more than waste a grand.

Comment

Originally posted by keatonskidmore View Post
      If the PTS is available then yeah. Thought it was?
      The Flir PTS233 is being withheld from production until staff can fix a problem with the onboard video recorder. I pre-ordered one from our site sponsor Outdoor Legacy Gear because I want to compare it to my RXQ30V. Early reports from beta testers (not me) say the Pulsar wins at detection range due to having more pixels. I'm excited about the recoil-activated video recording and the new Boson core on the Flir. I hope Flir figure out the video problem. The RXQ30V is a no-nonsense thermal workhorse. They're both great units for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
        The Flir PTS233 is being withheld from production until staff can fix a problem with the onboard video recorder. I pre-ordered one from our site sponsor Outdoor Legacy Gear because I want to compare it to my RXQ30V. Early reports from beta testers (not me) say the Pulsar wins at detection range due to having more pixels. I'm excited about the recoil-activated video recording and the new Boson core on the Flir. I hope Flir figure out the video problem. The RXQ30V is a no-nonsense thermal workhorse. They're both great units for the money.

The people I talked to that used both say the Flir wins in contrast by a lot. My buddy that used it who owns a Zeus 336 42mm says the new PTS223 looked as good or slightly better than his.

I’m just excited about the 12 microns with a 640 core that will be coming out.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
          Honestly I would save until you get $2000-2500. You will notice a big jump in quality at that price point.

$1000 you will get the bottom of the barrel. I have been down that road and upgraded each time lol. When you see what you can save for, you will want to sell it

I would NOT buy a red light/red dot for that price point.

Save for a thermal...Or possibly a nice NV

Lol I know how that is to keep upgrading. I started with a photon XT. Then Zeus pro 336 50mm. Then Zeus 640 42mm. And now I added the Zeus 75mm HD 640.

Once you go 640..you don’t go back. Lol

Comment

Lol I know how that is to keep upgrading. I started with a photon XT. Then Zeus pro 336 50mm. Then Zeus 640 42mm. And now I added the Zeus 75mm HD 640.

Once you go 640..you don’t go back. Lol
            Yep! Got a REAP IR. The Zeus 640 is a legit scope also

Comment

I need to PM you about Photon scope; Have tried but so far no sucess; Do you cell phone? Mine is 903-388-4058 Thanks Jay

Comment

Probably the best is to hunt with items yourself to develops your own opinion. My experience was: digital-I can see in the "dark". I^2-OMG, I can SEE in the dark. 640 thermal-WOW, look at all the glowing targets. Each did something new and interesting, but with each progression, the improvement was extraordinary and utterly amazing. That said, a kill light might do the job better and cheaper-will play with a Sniper Hawg this next year and find out.

Comment

Finally joined the NV club with an X-Sight II 3-14. Nothing fancy, and I havent shot it yet, but so far I like it! Headed to the range this afternoon. My only major gripe is figuring out hlw the heck to mount it far enough back on a bolt gun. Still working on that one, but I think ive got it figured out.
                  Right now, I have it on my 17HM2, bjt plan to rotate it around as needed.

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

Comment

First two kills with the Snipe IR. The first kill was a team shot.

Using the unit at night was easy now that I spent enough time with it last week.

I turned it on and left it on for the entire hunt. It was easy to calibrate it occasionally on the front of the rifle.

The image through the Leupold 1 to 8 was what I would expect from this core. I was able to increase the zoom to 8 power and identify deer.

Although the image started getting slightly pixelated at 8 power. At longer ranges, you would see pixels in the deer's neck.

While the distances would not allow a positive ID to take a shot, it would certainly allow us to rule out groups of animals because of their configuration without having to walk an extra three or four hundred yards.

Battery life was over 4 hours at 60 hertz.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Drove up on this big boy down south of Ozona this weekend. First hog kill with my Photon 6.5x50. Was kind of concerned about being able to get the Photon turned on and into play quick rolling out of the drivers seat of the truck with the bolt gun, but it worked out just fine. Put one .243 into the pump house on the right side, then he turned and started quartering away away to the left, and I put another in through the back of the ribs going forward. That one put him on the ground. Wearing my TBH "KAP Ale" T-shirt, thought it was fitting.

IMG_3374 by , on Flickr

FullSizeR by , on Flickr

And a picture from a different angle after we drug him away from the feeder/pond area. 1/2 mile of rocky caliche road will scrub the hair off pretty good.

IMG_3359 by , on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by SC-Texas View Post
                        First two kills with the Snipe IR. The first kill was a team shot.

Using the unit at night was easy now that I spent enough time with it last week.

I turned it on and left it on for the entire hunt. It was easy to calibrate it occasionally on the front of the rifle.

The image through the Leupold 1 to 8 was what I would expect from this core. I was able to increase the zoom to 8 power and identify deer.

Although the image started getting slightly pixelated at 8 power. At longer ranges, you would see pixels in the deer's neck.

While the distances would not allow a positive ID to take a shot, it would certainly allow us to rule out groups of animals because of their configuration without having to walk an extra three or four hundred yards.

Battery life was over 4 hours at 60 hertz.

Did they fix their NUC issue? Well not so much an issue but the annoying fact that they needed to be nuced very frequently for the first 30 minutes or so and you have to cover the lens?

What distance were you able to ID the deer?

Comment

anyone contacted TRIJICON? I have white spots on my REAP and they won't go away. I emailed them twice in a week. No word back.

Scope is 6 months old

Comment

Did they fix their NUC issue? Well not so much an issue but the annoying fact that they needed to be nuced very frequently for the first 30 minutes or so and you have to cover the lens?

What distance were you able to ID the deer?
                            NUC. I haven't noticed the snipe asking to be calibrated very often.

When they raise their heads I can ID them by necks. I'll walk it one night. I hate to pit a number on it and give bad info.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-Texas View Post
                              NUC. I haven't noticed the snipe asking to be calibrated very often.

When they raise their heads I can ID them by necks. I'll walk it one night. I hate to pit a number on it and give bad info.

Heck I don't want to make you walk. I ID deer the same way, by their necks, and probably have somewhat of an idea of what distance you're talking about.

Comment

Another Beautiful Yard Destroyed By Wild Hogs. Worst I've Ever Seen!...

Well... it happened again. The first time it was the Mother-in-Law's house and now this time it's the Brother-in-Law that got visited by the pig fairies in the middle of the night. Now, I believe in Karma and I've been on the good and bad of that, but these Wild Hogs are destroy our yards one family member after the other. This is the worst yard damage that I've ever seen..

I was able to drop 3 of them and had one that dang near jumped in my lap..

https://youtu.be/oxZ3vDUly1s

Comment

Working...
                                X