JD Murphree Alligator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WrecklessRanch View Post
    I am really disappointed with how this is being handled in comparison to how it was handled during Alison according to what was posted here. I emailed TPWD. I doubt it will make a difference but at least they know how I feel.
    I emailed as well, as did a buddy, and we received prompt responses. Something to do with mortality rates and unknown harvest data for next year.

I understand their reasoning, but I don't have to like it.

Comment

They likely didn't award the same permits for the following year because they don't know how many permits will be issued for 2018. The number of permits drawn is based on population surveys conducted yearly and no one knows what effect Harvey will have on the alligator population (if any) and subsequently how many permits will be issued for the area in 2018.

The hunt was likely cancelled because the levees around the compartments are still underwater and there isn't a boat ramp on the WMA that isn't under a foot of water.

It sucks for sure, but it's the way of the world. Good luck to everyone in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by WrecklessRanch View Post
        I am really disappointed with how this is being handled in comparison to how it was handled during Alison according to what was posted here. I emailed TPWD. I doubt it will make a difference but at least they know how I feel.
        Are you serious??? That whole area has been hit with one of the greatest regional disasters we may ever see. The ENTIRE town of Port Arthur was under water. Every game warden, state biologist, trooper, sanitation worker, average joe with a boat has been down there for over a week just trying to either get people out, or bring them basic supplies to survive. Forget rebuilding right now, they're still just trying to survive. If it's a lack of communication that upset you, I'm sure 'gator hunts' fell way down the incident priority tree.
        There's a better than average chance that when you eventually do go for that hunt, whoever is out there busting their hump so you can have a good time and stay safe lost EVERYTHING they have, and to this day are still out there working to help others being a state employee, they haven't even thought about their own dire situation yet. So I'm sorry for your disappointment, I drew a gator hunt as well, waited a long time, but if it gets cancels too I am in no way going to be disappointed with how it was handled.

Comment

Originally posted by gumbl3 View Post
          Are you serious??? That whole area has been hit with one of the greatest regional disasters we may ever see. The ENTIRE town of Port Arthur was under water. Every game warden, state biologist, trooper, sanitation worker, average joe with a boat has been down there for over a week just trying to either get people out, or bring them basic supplies to survive. Forget rebuilding right now, they're still just trying to survive. If it's a lack of communication that upset you, I'm sure 'gator hunts' fell way down the incident priority tree.
          There's a better than average chance that when you eventually do go for that hunt, whoever is out there busting their hump so you can have a good time and stay safe lost EVERYTHING they have, and to this day are still out there working to help others being a state employee, they haven't even thought about their own dire situation yet. So I'm sorry for your disappointment, I drew a gator hunt as well, waited a long time, but if it gets cancels too I am in no way going to be disappointed with how it was handled.
          Whew, hope you feel better now!

Comment

In so many words

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
            Whew, hope you feel better now!
            What I think he meant to say was that these are special circumstances and they are not sure if there is going to be anyway or anything to hunt anytime in the near future. So rather than giving false hope and kicking the can or should I say those that were drawn down the road, it was better to just issue refunds.

Comment

I have to agree with some here. Seems very selfish considering what has happened down there in the last couple of weeks. It's a draw hunt that you are not anything for if you are getting refunded. Yeah, I put in and didn't get drawn, but fully understand that under the circumstances, I get that they can't do the hunts this year. People there have lost probably everything and some of you have the attitude of "gimmie my hunt, I don't care what happened". Yall need to take a big step back for a minute and think about more than just yourself...

Comment

It's a sad day when a person can't get on a hunting forum and state dissatisfaction with a government agency without facing a barrage of inflammatory, overly emotional accusations.

You don't know me. You don't know what I have or have not done physically or monetarily to support the victims of Harvey. So, to say that I'm being selfish or insensitive towards the victims is a baseless accusation and all you are trying to do is incite an emotional response.

Further, I have now had several emails back and forth with a TPWD employee who has been very helpful and has explained the circumstances. I know other people have been emailing with them as well so obviously they're not too busy to respond to emails.

My point was that they could have send out one initial email that explained the details of the loyalty points (turns out those of us who drew this year will still earn one for this year since we were unable to hunt) and the biological aspect of why hunting next year is uncertain.

Comment

My response was not really directed towards you Wreckless....

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                    My response was not really directed towards you Wreckless....
                    Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

Has anyone received their refund yet? I just checked and doesn't look like it has been refunded.

Comment

My status says refunded but I don't know if it actually was refunded yet.

Comment

When I hunted there a couple years after Alison, there was a guy south of Winnie that would trade/whatever with you for the gators for meat, etc. He said when Allison came through it pushed gators way North due to all the salt water pushed in by the storm.

I don't know if Harvey pushed water in for that area or just flushed it all out. But like TP&W said, they don't know what the numbers will look like for next year, kind of makes sense.

Comment

Whelp, my group got drawn again! We'll keep our fingers crossed for a hurricane free next 6 weeks!

9/12-13...anybody else gonna be out there?

Comment

As Outlook8 said, we got drawn again! Does anyone who has done this in the past know the schedule of the hunt once you're out there? I see that you check in at 11 am on the first day of your hunt; then how long do you get to stay out there? For some reason I feel like the hunt was 24 hours.

Comment

We were drawn again as well... coincidence?

Comment

Working...
                                X