Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire Pit Question for the Green Screen

Hey Guys,
    The wife and I are adding a concrete patio with a fire pit. My question is how do I design the drain in the bottom of the fire pit? Could I just leave a hole in the concrete where the fire pit will be? Dig down a couple feet and fill it with gravel then loosely place fire brick on top of the gravel so it will drain? I've read where I could just have a concrete bottom and put a drain in the bottom with a pipe to drain the water. But how do you keep the pipe from filling up with ash? Any suggestions?

Will the fire pit be sunk below patio level or just sit on top of it? Ours is on top. We have multiple weep holes that pass through the bottom of the sides of the fire pit to let air in and drain water. Water flows through to patio. I just hose off what the rain doesn't get.
    Last edited by BigCohiba; 08-12-2017, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply BigCohiba. The fire pit will sit on top of the patio. Ours (from inside out) will be fire brick, cinder block, then stone veneer. Not sure how the weep holes would work with that construction. I guess I could drill holes through the fire brick and cinder blocks and leave a gap in the veneer.

Comment

That's pretty much what we have. Inside layer of firebrick. Outside layer of stacked moss rock with flat flagstone cap covering both inner & outer layers. The guys that built mine used pieces of 1x2 layed under the sides and drilled / beat them out after it was done. Seemed to work pretty good.

Comment

My new set up rocks..............
          Attached Files

Comment

Any more suggestions from other green screeners?

Comment

I'm building one myself and I didn't think about this. But, mine is gonna run on propane using that fake wood. My thought was to make a top for it when not in use to keep the weather out and it would double as a table.

Comment

Yeah I'm trying to think of everything before we get started. I'm probably overthinking it. Either option should work, just asking any advice from guys that have gone through a fire pit build.

Comment

Working...
                X