No announcement yet.

Neighbor wants us to help pay for his high fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've paid for a lot of fencing the neighbors didn't want to put a dime into. If you aren't friends with him, tell him to get lost. I wouldn't pay him more than $1.50/ft to build the new fence if you do pay anything.

Comment

I hunted a place between Mason and Brady that was HF on two sides. I was amazed at how many deer we would see up in the corner section up around the HF. When I first got on it I dismissed that as not likely to see many deer but boy was I wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
        I would offer to contribute half the cost of a low fence.
        This ^^^

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
          To be able to maintain both side of the fence w/o neighbors permission.
          Let's say his set back is 10' all the way around his 1000 acres. Now with that 10 foot, all he could do would be able to drive a tractor in a straight line, not even be able to turn into a gate. With that 10' set back, if I figured it correctly, he is giving up about 6 acres. Is this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
            I've had a neighbor tell me to basically pound sand. They kept baiting and hunting the boundary fence. So I built my high fence 30 feet back from the property line. You wouldn't believe how the bucks stack up in that strip during the rut. It has worked out great. I have a lane to move cattle for the entire length of the property. Oilfield workers have limited access to the interior as well. Be very careful who you **** off. We get along fine now that the shoe is on the other foot.
            You showed him! Bet he wishes he would have paid for half your high fence now.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
              Let's say his set back is 10' all the way around his 1000 acres. Now with that 10 foot, all he could do would be able to drive a tractor in a straight line, not even be able to turn into a gate. With that 10' set back, if I figured it correctly, he is giving up about 6 acres. Is this correct?
              Probabaly at least 10 foot and maybe more. If you are spending 100K on fence, you need a way to maintain. They aren't giving up anything, just not using it for hunting.

Comment

Throw me in the group of telling him to go pound sand.

No offense, but assuming the 175 acres is somewhat rectangular in shape, I can't help but think fencing a 3rd side HF would negatively impact your hunting. Not to mention, it very well could affect resale value of the property. Assisting with maintaining a standard barb wire, low fence for cattle, is a bit different than a HF for game.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe the one open boundary naturally attracts deer movement and once in, the deer have problems finding a way out. So, I guess there's a chance the hunting could be better.

I'm just not a big fan of people high fencing lower acreage properties in the name of game management, when in reality, they just don't want deer to cross onto the neighbors property and get shot. I'm all for LO rights, but I also think HF's in some cases do restrict the natural movement of state owned deer.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                  You showed him! Bet he wishes he would have paid for half your high fence now.
                  I didn't ask him to pay for my high fence. Initially he agreed to pay half then reneged.

Comment

Take the hunting factor out of it. If I had wood fence that I was perfectly happy with and my neighbor asked me to pay to build half a wall, I would say no way. Unless I was Mexico......

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                      He's cutting off deer movement to and from your place and he wants you to help pay for it? Tell that mother****er to get bent.
                      My thoughts exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by 3R_RANCH View Post
                        We have 175 acres... family land. The neighbor to our south and west is high fencing his 1,000 acre place. That's fine… It's his right to do so. We actually have two issues…
                        1) when he does this we will be "high fenced" on three sides
                        2) he is asking us to split the costs! He says it's the "neighborly thing to do".

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about doing our fair share. Over the years, we have done roadwork, replaced fencing, etc. our other neighbors have always helped out.

I think this is different… The current low fence is in need of repair in some places, But it's keeping our cows in with no problems. we plan to replace it in the next two years.

I told him we will replace the low fence with a new low fence and he can help us pay for that if he wants, but we will not contribute any money towards a high fence...

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        He sounds like a snowflake liberal.

Comment

If he wants it he should pay for it. As long as your livestock is held by whatever is in place how does it possibly fall on you?

Comment

If you both had cattle, then it would be the neighborly thing to share the cost of a barbed wire fence, normal sized. Since he is fencing you out with his high fence and it serves you absolutely no good, tell him to pound sand.

Comment

Here is another idea that could benefit you and him. How about high fencing your outside boarder and keeping your low fence as cattle boarder, that being your 2 other sides are high fences.

Comment

Since you have high fence on two side already, tell him you will pay for half of the high fence on your OTHER property line (not the one between you and him) and keep your 175 inside the boundry of his High fence. 1175 acres of high fence is do-able.

tell him it's the "neighborly thing to do"

Comment

Working...
                                X