Dairy Farmers, tell me.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dairy Farmers, tell me.....

I’m 37 and know nothing of the Dairy industry. My line of work has been military aviation maintenance for the last 20 years. I have a very rare opportunity to learn the business in hopes of taking over a 1400 cow/800 acre operation in the future. Is this too daunting? I know it’s a massive lifestyle change. At this point in my life, would I be taking on too much? Is the learning curve too steep for a rookie?

Take over as in owner or manager?

Comment

Both, eventually. I assume some shoveling jobs running up through all levels until I’d be in a position to buy out. Family operation.
      Last edited by TXUSMC; 01-04-2018, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSMC View Post
        Both
        I know very little about it but I would learn as much as I could from the ground up, especially the business side, and then hire the best dairy foreman I could when the time comes to manage the daily livestock operations

Comment

How long is the apprenticeship ?

Comment

If it's a family biz, then there is opportunity, but if this is an extended job offer thru a friend of a friend, then you'd be best to consider other business opportunities.

Comment

It’s family. Apprenticeship would last as long as I needed it to if I commit but still have bills to pay. It’s just scary not knowing what to expect. Drastic change, however welcome.

Comment

Breeding genetics is a big part of the business but not sure how much of that I would assume. I wouldn’t be left alone and afraid, just financially responsible at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSMC View Post
                  It’s family. Apprenticeship would last as long as I needed it to if I commit but still have bills to pay. It’s just scary not knowing what to expect. Drastic change, however welcome.
                  Hell are they not going to pay you while ya learn?

Comment

It’s an opportunity I always wish I had. Now it’s here....kind of like the dog catching the car.

Comment

I’m not saying they won’t pay me while I learn, it just hasn’t been discussed. I make a solid living now and could continue on the same path in my industry after the military in six months when I retire. It’s just such a change, can someone learn the dairy business at 37 and be successful? I understand there’s no standard answer to that question.

Comment

Most of the dairy farmers on here have already hit the sack for the night. They’ve got cows to milk in the morning

I do know there is at least one dairy farmer on here. I’m sure he’ll chime in if he sees the thread. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Comment

Every dairyman I ever met worked 14 hours a day, and never got a day off......unless something went wrong, then they didn't sleep for a few days at a time.

Comment

I get that too. Up early to milk in the morning then a bit of a break until the afternoon session. There’s a million more things to consider in between. Green chop, meds, feed mix and distribution, no days off really. I guess nothing ventured, nothing gained. Looking forward to input from those that milk. Thanks everybody.

Comment

I'm not a dairy farmer, but I know a few and if there is one thing I know about them, they are married to their farms. Unless they make enough money to hire a REALLY good foreman, they miss more family events, hunting trips, vacations, weekends away, etc than anyone I know. Twice a day every day and it never stops. Your life will never be the same. Some people don't mind that fact and others can't last a month.

The opportunity to take over a family farm can be a giant blessing but unless you love it and it's in your blood, it might not be for you. In this day and age, there are a whole lot easier ways to make a living than farming. But if you love it and understand the sacrifices, it can be an enjoyable lifestyle. My 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                              X