Lake Meredith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Meredith

This will be my first visiting/hunting LM in a couple of weeks. I have looked on maps and on previous posts and have an idea of what to expect on certain locations. I was just looking for some input on anything that might help me on my hunt. Also this will be my first time hunting for deer so really "any tips" help.

Are you bow or gun hunting? I never tried out there with a bow but I had pretty good success on whitetails during gun season. I imagine it'd be pretty close to impossible with a bow. Never did see any mulies during season but saw plenty after season was closed. It's like they know what was going on. lol. I still go up that way every year, but to duck hunt.

Comment

I'm going to use the bow since it'll still be archery only. I'm not looking for specific locations or anything but just ideas of where to go and I don't mind walking far distances. Do you know if the deer are super skiddish during archery season at LM.

Comment

The hard part is going to be seeing deer, and even harder is going to be getting within bow range. There's not a lot of cover and I don't believe you are allowed to use or build any kind of blinds.

Comment

I figured that was going to be the hardest part. They allow you to have a non-permanent blind as long as it has your name and number and isn't left alone longer than 24 hrs.

Comment

I always see tons of Mulies that any experienced outdoorsman could get in range of, troublem is they're all does.

Comment

I think this year will be our 7th trip to Meredith bowhunting mulies. We drive 500 miles and spend 4-5 days per trip. We've yet to bring home a buck but we did draw blood last year, unfortunately my buddy just knicked him, 52 yd shot. We've also stalked to within bow range of does and yearling mulies. We seem to get closer and closer every year and hopefully this is the year to fill a tag. Meredith is one the most physically demanding place on Earth if you really hunt it hard. We see whitetail mostly in the valley and mulies in the canyons. It seems to change year to year and for the most part day to day, a hot canyon one day, barren the next. The main thing to remember if you're after mulies is they ARE NOT whitetails... It took me a few trips to really understand that. They behave totally different. The key out there is quality optics and really picking the canyons apart... Not the ones half a mile from you, the one your on. They hide in plain sight.
              Last edited by Dude Briggs; 09-27-2017, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Briggs View Post
                  I think this year will be our 7th trip to Meredith bowhunting mulies. We drive 500 miles and spend 4-5 days per trip. We've yet to bring home a buck but we did draw blood last year, unfortunately my buddy just knicked him, 52 yd shot. We've also stalked to within bow range of does and yearling mulies. We seem to get closer and closer every year and hopefully this is the year to fill a tag. Meredith is one the most physically demanding place on Earth if you really hunt it hard. We see whitetail mostly in the valley and mulies in the canyons. It seems to change year to year and for the most part day to day, a hot canyon one day, barren the next. The main thing to remember if you're after mulies is they ARE NOT whitetails... It took me a few trips to really understand that. They behave totally different. The key out there is quality optics and really picking the canyons apart... Not the ones half a mile from you, the one your on. They hide in plain sight.
                  Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely keep in mind to take my time when glassin. I'll be driving around 500 mi. and plan on staying out there 5 days as well, hopefully I'll get a chance.

Comment

I have not hunted Merideth or the River in years. I had my best success rifle hunting on the river around the Dumas bridge on 287. We also hunted devils canyon across from Mcbride canyon. We saw a lot of deer there but never killed any. You have to hoof it across and if the river is up you may not be able to cross.

For those familiar with the area around the Dumas bridge, can you still archery only hunt the Cross Bar ranch on the south side of the river? That would be a good option because you can hike in and there is not much pressure.

Comment

We always hunted Mullinaw Trail, we'd hike all the way past the end of the trail to Chicken Creek. Walk in the dark and hunt all day. I hunted there two years, we always killed our whitetail buck and does. Never saw any shooter mulies during mule deer season. Hard hunting but if you put in the work and time during gun season you could kill deer pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jvela23 View Post
                        Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely keep in mind to take my time when glassin. I'll be driving around 500 mi. and plan on staying out there 5 days as well, hopefully I'll get a chance.
                        We'll get out there the 7th, when are you planning on going?

Comment

I'll be getting there on the morning of the 4th. and taking off after sunset on the 8th. Hopefully, with it being the middle of the week there will be less hunters and chances of deer getting blown out.

Comment

Middle of the week is always better than the weekend. Good luck and post how it goes

Comment

Originally posted by coldgas View Post
                              I have not hunted Merideth or the River in years. I had my best success rifle hunting on the river around the Dumas bridge on 287. We also hunted devils canyon across from Mcbride canyon. We saw a lot of deer there but never killed any. You have to hoof it across and if the river is up you may not be able to cross.

For those familiar with the area around the Dumas bridge, can you still archery only hunt the Cross Bar ranch on the south side of the river? That would be a good option because you can hike in and there is not much pressure.
                              Hey coldgas, I talked with the BLM, they were at the Fair. We can bow hunt crossbar anytime we want, you just have to go into their office in Amarillo and let them know when you are going. I am going to check it out sometime this year for sure!

I hunted sunup to sundown last saturday, hiked in from plum creek towards evans. Made it in 3 canyons, tons of deer but most of them were not in the canyons. Very hard stalks for me and I was reminded how rough it is out there!
                              Last edited by chastings77; 10-03-2017, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X