3.5 Ford EcoBoost in new expedition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.5 Ford EcoBoost in new expedition

Anyone have any experience with this engine? Wife needs a new kid hauler and looking at news Ford expedition with the 3.5 EcoBoost. Anybody have good/bad experience with it or the new expeditions?. I know it's in a lot of f-150s.

i would buy it again. very happy.

Comment

3.5 Ecoboost is an awesome engine. Love mine.

Comment

As long as your not pulling a trailer or weighting it down you should be happy with it. Mine got terrible (8mpg) when pulling a small 12' trailer with a quad on it. It would run a hole in the wind though.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
          As long as your not pulling a trailer or weighting it down you should be happy with it. Mine got terrible (8mpg) when pulling a small 12' trailer with a quad on it. It would run a hole in the wind though.
          35's and going 75?

MPG does drop off a cliff when towing with it. I get 9 towing my 10,000 tractor, 15 or 16 towing my single axle jon boat, 19 unloaded.

Comment

I love mine (2012) and got 13 mpg yesterday hauling a 12' trailer with a 4 wheeler into the wind.

Comment

Really liked my EcoBoost...until it started leaking coolant from the turbos

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                Really liked my EcoBoost...until it started leaking coolant from the turbos
                How many miles before this happened?

Comment

Started around 45-50k and got progressively worse until at 80k I was adding half a gallon of AF every 1000 miles. Was going to be about $2200 to fix it every time the crappy OEM part wore out, so I ditched the truck and got a 2018 5.0...which has far more problems

Comment

Engine/powertrain is generally fine. The rest of the insides of the car will squeak, rattle, and groan within 100k though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                      How many miles before this happened?
                      FTR I have 94k on mine and the only repair was a $250 throttle body.

Every vehicle out there has a a disaster story.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                        Started around 45-50k and got progressively worse until at 80k I was adding half a gallon of AF every 1000 miles. Was going to be about $2200 to fix it every time the crappy OEM part wore out, so I ditched the truck and got a 2018 5.0...which has far more problems

I am not even going to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                          FTR I have 94k on mine and the only repair was a $250 throttle body.

Every vehicle out there has a a disaster story.
                          I have always wondered how that engine would hold up to high mileage.
                          But I don't consider 94k high mileage either...

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                            I have always wondered how that engine would hold up to high mileage.
                            But I don't consider 94k high mileage either...
                            I don't either yet. It is the #1 selling engine in the #1 selling vehicle in America.... been in the F150 since 2011 model year.

There are, no exaggeration, MILLIONS of them on the road.

Comment

I rented a new Expedition last month. Loved it. Rode fantastic, plenty of power, 19mpg and I was driving in some hills / mountains NW of Charlotte. Ours was not the EL but it still had tons of room in it. I'd consider buying one for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X