No announcement yet.

Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So if the new 4.6 will not accept a doubler would it be better to go with the larger one? Most of my shots would be around 100 yds but my property is 390 acres and there are places (hay field) where you could take 200 to 300 yd. Shots. Just thinking myabe it's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Opinions appreciated.

Comment

Thanks zen would luv to look through yer set up. as for scouting do u use a scouting scope or youer rifle scope

Comment

Killswitch, my opinion is this.....4.6x is great for 100 yards or less. Reaching out to 150-200+ having the higher magnification is really nice. The problem is 6.5x is a pretty high magnification for under 75 yards or so. It can actually be way too much for shots under 50 yards. I think the 4.6x is probably a better all around choice, if you plan on making closer shots. There is a chance you can add a doubler (just have to wait and see) so that would offer you the best of both worlds. For the guys who plan on making a lot of longer shots, the 6.5x is the logical choice.

Comment

Let me try posting the specs again for both new Photon XT's. Let me know if this is better......

- Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
            Let me try posting the specs again for both new Photon XT's. Let me know if this is better......

- Jason
            That's perfect, Jason. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Killswitch View Post
              So if the new 4.6 will not accept a doubler would it be better to go with the larger one? Most of my shots would be around 100 yds but my property is 390 acres and there are places (hay field) where you could take 200 to 300 yd. Shots. Just thinking myabe it's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Opinions appreciated.
              Stick with the 4.6X. On Post #154 of this thread there's a great chart showing the distances. Keep in mind this was made using the 3.5X units, meaning you will be even farther zoomed in using the new ones.

Last edited by 35remington; 09-02-2014, 06:00 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=35remington;9002519]Stick with the 4.6X. On Post #154 of this thread there's a great chart showing the distances. Keep in mind this was made using the 3.5X units, meaning you will be even farther

Thanks I think I'm gonna order the new 4.6

Comment

Great. I'll have Jason put me on the payroll before too long!

Comment

Nice chart 35remmington. I'm getting the 6.5x

They would have to be closer than 50 yards, really closer than 35-40 to make them too close using the 6.5x IMO. And I want to be able to shoot them easily at 100-120

Comment

Hey guys, quick update.....

If the info I have in my hands is correct, the new Photons WILL accept a doubler. The front of the optic looks identical to the original Photon.

AND.....I have a picture. It's on my laptop and I'm on my phone now. I'll post it up ASAP tomorrow.

- Jason

Comment

Here is the preliminary photo I managed to get my hands on. I have full reason to believe this is the new Photon XT but if it's not....don't shoot me.

You will notice the windage and elevation adjustments are missing because now the retiticles are digital and internal. That also contributes to the lighter weight of the scope. The rear eyepiece appears to be a rubber cup design which is popular on other NV and thermal and I really prefer it. As I mentioned before, since the front of the optic appears to be identical, I can't see any issues with a doubler being added.

Overall, looks great to me and I've got my fingers crossed that I might get a sample unit in my hand soon and I can answer questions and report more info then. If I find out this photo isn't correct I'll let you know but I'm 99.9% sure it is.

- Jason
                        Attached Files

Comment

That's an interesting look. Never shot with an eye cup before. Guess it helps with isolating peripheral light?

Comment

I look forward to hearing what folks think about the new units.

Is there any video of the Brits using them yet? I figured they would get their hands on them first.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                              That's an interesting look. Never shot with an eye cup before. Guess it helps with isolating peripheral light?
                              Yes the cup is really nice and helps eliminate other light from flooding in the eye piece. I really like them on the other NV units, I'm sure it will be a nice touch on the XT.

I have NO idea if this is really from an XT but it's a video out of Sweden and it's supposed to be from a 4.6x. If this is legit, it's awesome. The time stamp date is way off and says 2012, so it makes me wonder if it's legit. But the digital retiticle is accurate.
                              IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                              I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X