Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Husker View Post
    Going with 4.6x, the $ difference will help fund possible future IR and doubler if I find it lacking what I need..or want (which are two totally different things usually).

I'm doing the same here!

Comment

I pre ordered my 4.6 today.

Comment

Hey guys I've got a list of the full specs of both new Photon models and I'll be posting them soon. It's on a spread sheet and I've got to find an easy way to post it but I will soon.

Lots of interest in the pre-order specials. If you are wanting to get a new model shoot me a PM for the details.

Comment

Ok I finally got this converted so I could upload it. Here are the specs on both new Photon models in a side by side comparison. This info is straight from Sightmark. I was also informed that the Sightmark CJRK one piece scope mount will not work on the new Photons. A lot of guys are asking if a particular one piece mount will work on them and until I get one in my hands, I just can't say for sure what will and won't work.

Hope this info helps! And if anyone wants info on the special TBH discounted pre-order pricing, shoot me a PM.
          Attached Files

Comment

We hunt hogs almost exclusively at night with night vision. When we use thermal it's as a spotter and then NV to shoot. We use IR aiming lasers and night vision compatible Eotechs and Aimpoints.

Before we settled on Gen3 stuff we tried everything from the cheap Gen1 stuff that is barely usable to Pulsar Digisights which are decent with a good moon but are mostly useless on very dark nights without any ambient light due to the diminished visibility and range and the image lag resulting from the time it takes for the unit to gain up the image and project it on the screen.

When it comes to night vision, you really do get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
              Ok I finally got this converted so I could upload it. Here are the specs on both new Photon models in a side by side comparison. This info is straight from Sightmark. I was also informed that the Sightmark CJRK one piece scope mount will not work on the new Photons. A lot of guys are asking if a particular one piece mount will work on them and until I get one in my hands, I just can't say for sure what will and won't work.

Hope this info helps! And if anyone wants info on the special TBH discounted pre-order pricing, shoot me a PM.
              That spec sheet is almost but not quite readable. Do you have a little higher-res version or maybe a link to your site?
              Last edited by 35remington; 08-30-2014, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Archery View Post
                Also as for the IR light. It's going to depend on your hogs. I've learned with high power IR (I am currently using Torch) most critters within 100 YDS will notice faint beam. Even hogs. I try not to use any light source at all. Luckily my Pulsar digitally converts images. Therefore, I know I can turn off all IR at distances of 75 YDS or less and still convert image well enough to shoot. I personally would never use ND3. But that's me.
                Zen am looking into a photon , I see you are in mckinny area am in the pine woods of northeast texas , what would u suggest to make 100 yard and closer shots on pigs at night, would I need the doublers, and aftermarket IR,s , I have looked through some digital scopes and seems the pine trees and underbrush create a lot of washout. the new scopes lowest power will be almost 5 , and as for the doubler according to Jason they may not accept a doubler, whats your past use in like areas tell u , and could I be served with just scope from factory, according to Jason new models will have a IR that's 30 percent stronger. most of my hunting will be from blinds inside 100 yards thanks man

Comment

Originally posted by Chuy View Post
                  I have my photon on my 6.8SPC Ar15.

I did find that the IR illuminator onboard was sufficient for our hunting situation. We have a lot of white sand, so when we hit the Illuminator, it lit up the area just fine. The UNV 20IR was overkill for this application.

HOWEVER, if you dont have a contrasting background for the pigs, the IR light is worth every penny.
                  great chun I am planning on putting my scope on a bushmaster 6.8, is it putting hogs down well, just got my 6.8 last spring not really hunted with it yet. u got 6.8 as a deicated night rifle , or are you also using in daylight , if so do u use quick release mounts or other setup , thanks for any advice.

Comment

I'm sitting in my truck, looking over a tank about 60 yds away.

Photon is ready
                    Ar15 is locked and loaded

Wind in my face and corn is out.

200 lb boar killed yesterday...same spot...caught in the trap.

Comment

[ATTACH]647128[/ATTACH]

Comment

Coon eyes light up like flashlights...

Comment

crappy phone pic....
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                            That spec sheet is almost but not quite readable. Do you have a little higher-res version or maybe a link to your site?

Let me check on that after church when I'm in front of my laptop. It was plenty big on my laptop yesterday when I posted it but it's very small using Tapatalk on my iPhone. Weird? I'll see what I can figure out, sorry!

Also, Bearhunter mentioned something I told him on the phone on Friday and I've been meaning to mention it in this thread. A lot of guys have mentioned to me that they are going to buy the the 4.6x and use a doubler for long range. After talking to Sightmark there is no guarantee that a doubler can be attached to the new Photon models. Again, I have yet to see the new models so I can't say for myself but at least one person at Soghtmark who was holding one in his hand while talking to me said he doubted a doubler would attach. To be clear, that might be bad info, but I just don't want anyone to make a purchase with the assumption they will be able to attach a doubler. Also, even if it will accept a doubler, I guess it is up to UNV to decide if they want to make one for it, if it requires a different coupler.

I am supposed to be getting more info soon and I'll post up when I get some details. There is still a lot of wild speculation since no one has seen the new models yet.

Comment

Originally posted by bearhunter View Post
                              would I need the doublers, and aftermarket IR,s , I have looked through some digital scopes and seems the pine trees and underbrush create a lot of washout. the new scopes lowest power will be almost 5 , and as for the doubler according to Jason they may not accept a doubler, whats your past use in like areas
                              I hunted with a friend who had the 3x Photon. I was impressed by onboard IR but I really like my Torch (after market IR) for scouting purposes beyond 100 yards.

In most cases 20%+ moon I don't use IR under 75 yards when hunting. I'm convinced hogs pick up beam. But I use IR to scout longer distances 100 yards+.

Wash out is going to be a problem with any digital type NV. That's why I choose not to hunt with it. Especially when your IR picks up your AR gas discharge. When scouting longer distances you can at least pick up glowing eyes to go investigate.

I'm currently investigating a thermal. I will "never" get a NV beyond 3x power. But this is me. Next time I'm in Mineola or Grand Saline I'll let you play with my gear to help you understand why.

Comment

I need this...

Comment

Working...
                                X