Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
    My experience is opposite of that. The internal IR stinks. I couldn't see 35 yards with it in the pitch black sticks this past weekend.

Get an external and you can see a long ways. 200+
    Yes, I highly recommend an external light!

Comment

Anyone use something other than IR to extend visual range with a Photon? I have a ND3 laser that will throw a long distance beam fairly wide. I'm wondering if I could use that until I can justify all I'm about to spend on the scope from Jason. I'm probably going to go with the 6.5 so as not to have that "I could of had better for a few $100 more" regret.

The ND3 hasn't spooked a pig yet but is cumbersome to get the beam tuned to scope at varied distances. My hope would be that I could use it to throw a wide beam and the photon will bring out the detail I can't pick up currently.

Comment

I have my AR rigged up with the photon 3.5 and IR, and as soon as it came in the hogs have left. I have yet to shoot anything other than paper.

Comment

I have my photon on my 6.8SPC Ar15.

I did find that the IR illuminator onboard was sufficient for our hunting situation. We have a lot of white sand, so when we hit the Illuminator, it lit up the area just fine. The UNV 20IR was overkill for this application.

HOWEVER, if you dont have a contrasting background for the pigs, the IR light is worth every penny.

Comment

Originally posted by Wylde E View Post
            I have my AR rigged up with the photon 3.5 and IR, and as soon as it came in the hogs have left. I have yet to shoot anything other than paper.

Your IR light spooked the pigs?

Comment

No, now that I have it all set up the hogs have moved off our place. Go figure!

Comment

Nevermind

Comment

Unless you are shooting 75 YDS plus at night or are only planning on taking 1 shot don't get over 3x power for NV. It's really difficult to reposition a 5x+ scope on a running hog or a sounder for multipig kills.

Comment

Zen, If my shots will be in the 75-150yd range, likely single shots as they scatter so fast into the brush it would be more luck than skill for me to make another shot most situations. Would I be better served with the 4.6x vs 6.5x? I'm starting to lean towards the 4.6x and possibly a doubler to give more flexability.
                    Also follow up to my post yesterday does the light have to be IR or would the light from a ND3 laser work to extend range on these types of scopes?

Comment

I would go with the lower magnification if adding a double is an option. At night, everything seems a lot closer. I like 3x a lot for follow up shots. MUCH easier than with a higher magnification, day or night.

Comment

Thanks Chuy. I think I'll go 4.6x to start and if I want more I have the option with a doubler. The one thing I saw on I think the nightvisionguys site was the 4.6x and 6.5x had the same FOV of 7m@100m. I don't pretend to understand the optics beyond whats ahead of the X. The 4.6x has a 42mm and the 6.5x has the 50mm would the larger (I believe lense) make the two have equivalent fov? or was it a typo

Comment

Concur. If I were to do it all over again I'd never get anything above 3x power. Using a thermal last week in a 2k corn field. The 5x Thermal could easily pick up deer and hogs over 800-1200 yards away. Great for long distance but whe we crawled up to a hog at 100 yards the critter filled half the screen. Which is great for sniping accuracy. But for follow up shots, runners or multi-pig shots 5x is way too much at distances I like to hunt 50 yards or less.

I'm not critical on powered lenses just for my purpose and way of hunting zoom is a no-no.

Comment

Also as for the IR light. It's going to depend on your hogs. I've learned with high power IR (I am currently using Torch) most critters within 100 YDS will notice faint beam. Even hogs. I try not to use any light source at all. Luckily my Pulsar digitally converts images. Therefore, I know I can turn off all IR at distances of 75 YDS or less and still convert image well enough to shoot. I personally would never use ND3. But that's me.

Comment

Husker, IMO the laser designator would not be a good plan. It's basically a flashlight, which the pigs will clearly identify. That defeats the stealthy purpose of NV. An IR light would serve most needs better, IMO.

However, if your pigs don't mind LD light, it is certainly true that you could use the LD to help the Photon.

Comment

Going with 4.6x, the $ difference will help fund possible future IR and doubler if I find it lacking what I need..or want (which are two totally different things usually).

Comment

Working...
                                X