Medal of Honor questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tgil View Post
    I can't help on questions, but what an honor for her to have this opportunity!
    We had a guest of honor, also a Marine, speak at a USMC Birthday celebration at work a couple of years back.
    I found myself hanging on every word as he told about his boyhood, growing up, lying about his age to sign up early and just a little bit about his experiences in WWII.
    The thing that stuck with me the most, was when he said when he returned to Normandy, later in life, it crushed him to see more American flags flying there than he does at home. He asked all of those in attendance, "if you don't already have a flag at your home, please, go out and get one! Fly it day and night, we fought for you to be able to do that!"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
      Wow, what a life event for your your little girl!!!!

Have her break the ice by asking what his favorite battery drill is, then ask him what it was like serving our great country during that war.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
        Tell me about the men you served with.

That is the question I would ask.
        Thank you

Comment

How did receiving the MOH change his life?
          Best parts and worst parts of having the highest award for valor our country can bestow.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
            She can ask him about the geography of the island. How much did the volcanic ash and sand affect their ability to maneuver on the beach.

Were Marines able to stay with their original platoons and units after they hit the beach or did everyone get instantly separated and have to pair up with marines that they didn't know?

Had the Marines on ship already been briefed on how fanatical and Die Hard the Japanese soldiers were? Or did they only find out after they engaged them in combat?

Did his ship encounter any Japanese air attacks prior to landing on Iwo Jima? If so could he describe them.

If you tell me how old your daughter is I can probably come up with a lot of good questions. I'm a former Marine.

If she runs out of questions could she asked him high fence or low fence?
            Thank you sir. She is 17 and loves history just like her dad. She plans on being a history teacher. Thanks for your service

Comment

I’ve met two men who were awarded the CMOH. If she asks this man to tell her about the men he served with, I doubt there will be a need for questions.

However, I’d ask two questions if needed: 1. What one thing you learned or experienced in your time of service makes you smile to this day? 2. What does the American flag mean to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                How did receiving the MOH change his life?
                Best parts and worst parts of having the highest award for valor our country can bestow.
                Thanks. She came up with this one earlier.

Comment

[QUOTE=Chew;13239316]She can ask him about the geography of the island. How much did the volcanic ash and sand affect their ability to maneuver on the beach.

Were Marines able to stay with their original platoons and units after they hit the beach or did everyone get instantly separated and have to pair up with marines that they didn't know?

Had the Marines on ship already been briefed on how fanatical and Die Hard the Japanese soldiers were? Or did they only find out after they engaged them in combat?

Did his ship encounter any Japanese air attacks prior to landing on Iwo Jima? If so could he describe them.

If you tell me how old your daughter is I can probably come up with a lot of good questions. I'm a former Marine.

If she runs out of questions could she asked him high fence or low fence?[/QUOTE]

I'm crying over here

Comment

Beat me to the punch - but this is the question. Both I met said they agree to speak at events, not about their accounts, but for others.

MSG Roy Benavides said he was no hero but he dang sure served with a bunch of them.

You can buy a hard back book with stories of the CMOH recipients - buy one for her and ask for his autograph. Tell him she wants to be a teacher and would show/share the book with her students.

Comment

This! My Dad quit a defense plant job in WWII to sign up, and joined the Navy thinking that was his best opportunity to see action. He was stationed at Corpus Christie where his base commander found out he was a very good fast pitch softball player. He signed up for every ship that came in to join the fighting, but his base commander blocked every deployment to keep him there to play softball. He knew a lot of men who fought and many who died and felt guilty that he couldn't go while his brothers (literally 3 brothers) fought in the south pacific, continually putting their lives in harms way. Luckily, my Uncles all survived, but my Dad always felt guilty that he didn't fight and so many others fought and died. He used to tell many stories of men who didn't come home alive that he met and worked with during his time in the Navy. He was very proud of the men he served with. Those were the men he said were the real heroes.

Comment

Not sure what to add, other than cool for her. Good job on you for making sure it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Worked with a friend here in Idaho who was awarded the MOH for his service in Korea. He was best known as a "gentle giant". If anyone asked about it (usually a new guy, who didn't know about Dave), he'd get a look in his eyes, kinda hum and say "We lost a lot of good friends there, and go back to work. One of the most modest people to ever have known. Family meant more to him than anything.

Read about David Bleak sometime, if you want to know what a bad *** truly is. A big medic, with no guns, and big hands and a knife!

he NCO Journal, the official magazine of noncommissioned officer professional development, is published under the Army University Press located at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.
                          Last edited by Blank; 03-08-2018, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coon View Post
                            This! My Dad quit a defense plant job in WWII to sign up, and joined the Navy thinking that was his best opportunity to see action. He was stationed at Corpus Christie where his base commander found out he was a very good fast pitch softball player. He signed up for every ship that came in to join the fighting, but his base commander blocked every deployment to keep him there to play softball. He knew a lot of men who fought and many who died and felt guilty that he couldn't go while his brothers (literally 3 brothers) fought in the south pacific, continually putting their lives in harms way. Luckily, my Uncles all survived, but my Dad always felt guilty that he didn't fight and so many others fought and died. He used to tell many stories of men who didn't come home alive that he met and worked with during his time in the Navy. He was very proud of the men he served with. Those were the men he said were the real heroes.
                            Sounds just like my Dad. He joined the Navy in 1943 to see the world. He was stationed in Corpus as an aircraft mechanic and never left Texas. I'm proud he served.

Have your daughter ask him how difficult it was to adapt to a normal civilian life after all he had witnessed.

Comment

Is this interview for a history project or some type of journalism project? Think that would have an effect on which questions I would ask. Some very good questions on here. I like the ones asking about his life before service and what made him want to join the Marines. Asking him about those he served with is a great question also. If it is a history project, Chew's questions in post 15 would be very good for that (really they are good either way but really strong for history project).
                              I think I would also ask him if he has ever been back to Iwo, and if 'yes', what were the strongest memories his return brought on?

Comment

ask him who he looks up to, who made an impression on him, and why

Comment

Working...
                                X