No announcement yet.

Planting wheat and oats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting stuff here on rye. I know they like oats over wheat 30-1. We have two fields one on each side of the road. wheat in 1 oats in the other and they will be 30-1 on the oats.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
      They will eat rye if there is nothing else around. But it is very low on their list.

I hunt over 600 acres of rye in differnt areas and hardly ever see a deer in it. tells me enough

The experts also agree. Do not plant it.

elbon rye is all I would plant
      Funny how depending on where you are changes what the deer go to. I am not saying you are wrong about where you are hunting at all, just the opposite where I have rye in my part of the country.

I would like to know what you mean by experts say? do you have some research to you can share?

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
        Interesting stuff here on rye. I know they like oats over wheat 30-1. We have two fields one on each side of the road. wheat in 1 oats in the other and they will be 30-1 on the oats.
        I planted BF oats and winter wheat last year, for the sole purpose of seeing which one the deer preferred. They kept my wheat looking like a putting green, and hardly touched the oats. I've always heard the oats are more favorable.

Comment

Hey David, I held off for the same reasons and am in the same boat. I will plant close to the 27th if the weather permits and will let you know the results. Hoping to have a good stand by December but we shall see. The army worms wiped me out last yr so I wanted to hold off. Heck it might be what I do every yr if it works. Good luck to you this season!

Comment

Originally posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post
            Hey David, I held off for the same reasons and am in the same boat. I will plant close to the 27th if the weather permits and will let you know the results. Hoping to have a good stand by December but we shall see. The army worms wiped me out last yr so I wanted to hold off. Heck it might be what I do every yr if it works. Good luck to you this season!
            We might need ya to come plant ours. Talked with our guy he said he has another 2500 acres to do before ours
            Still need to meet for breakfast at Mern's some morning.

Comment

Hey David, did you get your fields planted? We got ours in two weeks ago, it was a whoopin to say the least and no hunting was done but i’m out here now and it came up really good and will pay off come December and possibly with this cold front. I don’t think I will try to plant before October ever again as good as it’s coming up. Saw some bucks on their feet cruising, should start seeing some new faces here the next couple of weeks. Let me know next time your around and we can hit up Murns!

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                I beg to differ, it just doesn’t stay as palatable as long as oats or wheat does. Deer love rye when it’s new growth
                Plant cereal rye it's better than rye grass and very similar to wheat.

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
                  Plant cereal rye it's better than rye grass and very similar to wheat.
                  I do like elbon rye, I just planted this year n wheat since I got over 800lbs for $30 from my farming buddy. I’ll probably do that every ye from here on out and just buy a couple hundred pounds of oats. I’ve also contemplated trying the throw and now method with elbon rye next yr to see how it comes up and how the deer like it.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post
                      I do like elbon rye, I just planted this year n wheat since I got over 800lbs for $30 from my farming buddy. I’ll probably do that every ye from here on out and just buy a couple hundred pounds of oats. I’ve also contemplated trying the throw and now method with elbon rye next yr to see how it comes up and how the deer like it.
                      We have planted Elbon for 10+ yrs in our own blend. The past two years we added a new cereal rye variety called Arrow Rye. Both are being mowed good. Not sure there is much difference not that we have established yet anyways.

Comment

We got three more plots planted with oats last week before that last storm. Fields were just dry enough to plow had to unstop the disc harrow several times. The next day we got 4.25" of rain. UGGGGGGHH! it is a swamp once again.

Comment

I lost my food plots last year to army worms. Waited until the second weekend in November to replant oats. Got good rain and they came up just fine.

Comment

We have two places and two land owners. No way to get them on the same page! They no tilled the south side Wednesday of last week after it was barely dry enough. This side has about 350-400 acres of fields. Last Monday they plowed about 1/2 on the north side and were sticking the tractor so they stopped. It was dry the rest of the week and weekend and they never came back to try it again. We went and got a broadcaster and 500 pounds of wheat and oat seeds and did it ourselves late last night because of the rain on the way. Only did about 10 acres or so I would say. There are about 120 acres of fields on that side. I spent the night last night and it started raining about 1 am and was still raining at 7:30 when I left. This morning it had rained about an inch AGAIN! Another 10 day set back.

Comment

Working...
                            X