Planting wheat and oats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
    I beg to differ, it just doesn’t stay as palatable as long as oats or wheat does. Deer love rye when it’s new growth
    Very new growth. That's it. That goes for any grasses. It's just not that nutritious for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
      Deer don't eat rye grass.
      I have always heard that too. A friend of mine planted a pasture last year with annual rye grass for his cows to graze, and the deer were all in it all the time. They planted "Jumbo Rye", fertilized it once it started growing good, and got an awesome stand. Kinda weird.

Comment

Say what??? I plant it every year and they tear it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
          Strange, I thought photosynthesis was a thing.
          Don't need sun to germinate but if you want it to grow much after it is up sun will be necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
            Rye grass, or grain rye? Big difference.

Comment

The later it gets in the winter the more you would want to plant wheat over oats it will just do better. The colder it is the longer it will take to germinate. We planted wheat for crops as late as Mid/late January.

Comment

Rye grass, or grain rye? Big difference.
                I believe rye grass was the post. I have no idea about grain rye or what that is.

Annual ryegrass is easy to plant and grows well and they all love it. Just need moisture and we have plenty of that right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                  Strange, I thought photosynthesis was a thing.

If you can see without a flashlight, photosynthesis is happening.

Going on an adventure!

Comment

Yes that’s why I said young growth, if they hit it hard then new growth is consistent and they will eat it quite a bit. But I personally would not a plant a large food plot of just cheap ryegrass, it’s a last resort cheap of the cheap measure.

Comment

I believe rye grass was the post. I have no idea about grain rye or what that is.

Annual ryegrass is easy to plant and grows well and they all love it. Just need moisture and we have plenty of that right now.
                      I hope everyone around me plants rye grass. That would be awesome!

Comment

This plot hasn't seen direct sunlight in a long while

Comment

This would be totally incorrect!

Comment

I hope everyone around me plants rye grass. That would be awesome!
                            Whatever works for you, you must have something else around there they like better and don't have to eat the rye grass. Not sure where wise county is but here in south central texas they mow it down. Best part about it is cheaper to plant than seed oats and wheat.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                              I have always heard that too. A friend of mine planted a pasture last year with annual rye grass for his cows to graze, and the deer were all in it all the time. They planted "Jumbo Rye", fertilized it once it started growing good, and got an awesome stand. Kinda weird.
                              They will eat rye if there is nothing else around. But it is very low on their list.

I hunt over 600 acres of rye in differnt areas and hardly ever see a deer in it. tells me enough

The experts also agree. Do not plant it.

elbon rye is all I would plant

Comment

Originally posted by Bilbo View Post
                                If you can see without a flashlight, photosynthesis is happening.

Going on an adventure!
                                Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                                Yes that’s why I said young growth, if they hit it hard then new growth is consistent and they will eat it quite a bit. But I personally would not a plant a large food plot of just cheap ryegrass, it’s a last resort cheap of the cheap measure.

Comment

Working...
                                X