Best TPWD youth hunt for Javelina?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best TPWD youth hunt for Javelina?

My 9 year old really wants to shoot a Javi but we just don't have any. Anyone know which of the TPWD Javi hunts would have best odds of getting on some that we should apply for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We saw a ton of them while on the youth antlerless hunt at Chaparral last year. Several of them came out each evening at our location, and several hunters took javelina as well as deer.

Comment

I would apply for the Chap.

When you go throw corn lightly on nearly every road and watch. If they come out and are out of range stalk up within shooting range or set up in that area the next day. Hunt late into the morning if not all day. If you have a big pasture you can move from spot to spot and sit in the truck off at a distance. On my last hunt, I sat up on a cross road that was on a hill, I could see several hundred yards in all 4 directions.

Corn corn corn.
      Last edited by Slick8; 08-09-2017, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Definitely the Chap. James Daughtrey WMA has quite a few as well. Can't go wrong with either place.

Most are compartments hunts so just corn the heck out of the roads and they'll eventually find it.

Comment

Agreed to Chap. The TPWD Drawn Hunts website also has stats from the past three years or so. You can look at the different areas and see which had the best success rate. Good luck to your son.

Comment

apply of TYHP

Comment

If you don't get drawn, don't be afraid to go standby, if available. I believe the odds of getting drawn for youth Javi standby are very high.

Comment

Originally posted by Sideler View Post
                  If you don't get drawn, don't be afraid to go standby, if available. I believe the odds of getting drawn for youth Javi standby are very high.

Yes the stand by draw for youth hunts at the Chap have had very good results of being able to hunt.

Comment

Post #8 & 9 are right on

We hunted Jan 2016 after being drawn, they took about 20 standbys in addition to our drawn group
                    Good luck

Comment

We'll definitely check on the Chap standby. Thanks

Comment

I second (or third) the Chap standby idea. Steve tries real hard to get all the standby kids a spot to hunt. He also used to pretty much take all the adult standbys on those hunts as well but I noticed last year they turned a bunch of folks away. Looks like that hunt is getting more popular.

Comment

Great info, thanks guys. I have a 9yr old young lady that won't let me go hunting without her and it is about time for her to experience harvesting an animal. This trip should be added to my list in the future.

Comment

Chap or Daughtrey for sure.

Comment

TYHP http://tyhp.alamark.com/youth-hunter...hunt-schedule/

Lots of deer hunts listed with Javi included in some good areas. Just missed the deadline last week on one but could check if all spots were filled and perhaps still get in on that hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X