Public land Mule Deer hunts in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
    Jen-Man, that is cool! They have to be related! What year did you get yours?

2008...didn't realize it had been that long. Time to head back up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jen-Man View Post
      2008...didn't realize it had been that long. Time to head back up there.

Mine was in 2010. Chip aged it at 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 years old. I'll bet that they were brothers!

Comment

Seems like the best option is to go out of state. You can drive a few hours further and tags are easier to get. Plus you can hunt more than a weekend so you get your moneys worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
          Mine was in 2010. Chip aged it at 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 years old. I'll bet that they were brothers!

Yep sounds about right, aged mine at 5.5. That's pretty cool. Was yours archery also?

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Did anybody draw? I drew the Elephant Mountain mule deer hunt. Anybody hunted there before?

Comment

Lucky man... it is one of the higher percentage places for shooting a buck. As always, the archery part is harder than with a gun. At least one live hunt posted on here a few years ago from there. May want to do a search.

Comment

I have hunted Elephant Mtn and Black Gap, both areas have good mulies be prepared to glass a lot and walk a lot. I average drawing about every 10 yrs. So the odds aren't great.

Comment

I've looked into mule deer leases quite a bit and apparently there are some shysters out there leasing shot up land. Leases can be had out in trans pecos country but definitely be prepared to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by ttu1997 View Post
                      I have hunted Elephant Mtn and Black Gap, both areas have good mulies be prepared to glass a lot and walk a lot. I average drawing about every 10 yrs. So the odds aren't great.
                      I have hunted and killed several mule deer on public land in New Mexico so I think I can handle hiking around in West Texas . Thanks for the input, sir.

Comment

I drew the Caprock Canyon mule deer hunt a couple years ago with my hunting partner. We stayed in Childress and chose to drive the 45 minutes each morning to the park. There were 8 permits and only 7 of us showed up; no standbys came at all. Very nice area and we saw quite a few deer, but I don't believe the quality doesn't justify the terrible odds. The best buck we saw was outside the park on the way in on the second day. Driving around the day before, I took pictures of a lot of bucks and they were nothing for an Idaho boy to get excited about. Lots of the deer move up to the northeast into the private winter wheat fields from compartments 1 and 2, and then drop back into the canyons at night. We drew compartment 5 which was the longest walk from the truck, but saw the most game and hogs back there too. The staff were exceptional and really wanted us to be successful. Had a heck of an ice storm the last day and couldn't even get back to our compartment due to the ice on the roads, so we hunted a front unit that didn't have a hunter. We hunted hard all day, followed tons of tracks, looked at many deer. My partner shot a 4x3 that was about 20" outside. The last day, the park employees loaded us up in a Ranger and went in to help us retrieve the buck. All in all, a fun hunt and nice to see a new area.

Comment

Working...
                        X