Laguna Atascosa Rifle Hunt 2016/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaFountainBow View Post
    I am going to bike to the west side of the lake and then hike it into the brush. Hopefully find a few trails to follow.

I have a few spots picked out I am going to head to first. I spotted them on google earth but you never really know until you get on the ground was is plausible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have a feeling we are looking at some similar areas. Looks like it is a good 3 miles over there depending on which gates are open.

How are you planning on biking with your bow? Attached to backpack?

I've been looking at option for my gun, not sure I want to buy a mount for my handle bars or not.

Comment

Originally posted by robie View Post
      I have a feeling we are looking at some similar areas. Looks like it is a good 3 miles over there depending on which gates are open.

I've been looking at option for my gun, not sure I want to buy a mount for my handle bars or not.
      I'll be down there next week for the archery hunt. I bought atv gun mounts for my handle bars, I'll post a pick shortly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

FWIW a bow attached to the handle bars makes a bike tough to ride, beats bow up on rough terrain plus the bow cradles will slip unless locked down super tight. I utilize a bow sling with quick detach clips. Much easier and quiet...

Comment

Bike looks good. I was wondering how tough it would be to ride with my rifle on the handle bars vs just slinging it over my back.

Let us know how well it works next weekend.

Comment

I will be on a rifle hunt Dec 30th - Jan 1st. I did not have a chance to make the 6 hr drive to do any scouting, so if anyone could find it in their heart to throw a few scouting reports or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. I will be going at it by myself, so any help would be golden

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                I will be on a rifle hunt Dec 30th - Jan 1st. I did not have a chance to make the 6 hr drive to do any scouting, so if anyone could find it in their heart to throw a few scouting reports or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. I will be going at it by myself, so any help would be golden
                Good luck. I'll be there a little after you. If you are on foot it sounds like you are going to be limited to driving down Country Road and parking and walking in, unless you really want to go for a hike. There are also designated parking areas for 6.

Comment

Good luck. I'll be there a little after you. If you are on foot it sounds like you are going to be limited to driving down Country Road and parking and walking in, unless you really want to go for a hike. There are also designated parking areas for 6.
                  When I talked to the Ranger the other day, she told be that we would be able to drive down the road that runs between the refuge & Buena Vista Ranch. The one that run south to north on the east side of 8

Comment

When I talked to the Ranger the other day, she told be that we would be able to drive down the road that runs between the refuge & Buena Vista Ranch. The one that run south to north on the east side of 8
                    Yeah that's "county road". It will take you most of the way to the north.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                      Yeah that's "county road". It will take you most of the way to the north.
                      So I figure the refuge is only a about 4 miles east to west, so I was thinking driving down the county road, and walk in about 2 miles. I know I can pack out a Whitetail 2 miles, I don't know what I will do if I shoot a Nilgai

I have a bike but instead of taking a trailer for a bike. I have been thinking about a heavy duty wagon

Comment

So I figure the refuge is only a about 4 miles east to west, so I was thinking driving down the county road, and walk in about 2 miles. I know I can pack out a Whitetail 2 miles, I don't know what I will do if I shoot a Nilgai

I have a bike but instead of taking a trailer for a bike. I have been thinking about a heavy duty wagon
                        Trailer for your bike or wagon either should both do the trick. One will require smaller pieces to bring it out in.

I've never been down either, this is just what I've gathered from the forums and google earth scouting.

Comment

Trailer for your bike or wagon either should both do the trick. One will require smaller pieces to bring it out in.

I've never been down either, this is just what I've gathered from the forums and google earth scouting.
                          Are you planning on hunting the fields or the brush. I have never done a spot & stalk style of hunting. I have a 7Rem Mag that I'm taking for hunting the fields but I also have been thinking about taking my 30-30 and hunting the brush like I would if I was bow hunting

Comment

It all depends on how thick that brush is, and that's difficult to judge from google earth. I've got a few of both marked on my map that look like they might have potential.

Always pay attention to the wind if you are going to spot and stalk.

For nilgai, I've always read find a water source, fresh dung pile or the roads.

Comment

I have the same set up as Reaper. I also have a game cart that I strapped to the back of the bike. I normally would just hike this type of thing but I figured why not at least try the the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

give me a call?
                                got drawn as well
                                thanks david

Comment

Working...
                                X