2016 Pushmataha County Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christianhuff View Post
    Nice doe tex, changed it up this evening. 30ft. In the air in my game tamer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the awesome part about hunting with mature pines. You can get up there.

Comment

2016 Pushmataha County Thread

Man, bitter sweet today. I had an awesome hunt with a pope and young 8 inside 20 yrds and two other young 8's going at it in the clover plot. The fed in it for over an hour and never looked at the free choice feeder 50yrds away. Very rewarding to see that after all of the work. Here is the crappy part, went out to meet my neighbors after being here a couple of years. Talked to one guy and he said he killed 6 deer last year and it was a slow year. 2 spikes, a big 10 point that came from our place before he shot him in his hay meadow, and no telling what else. Then he proceeds to tell me he saw a giant inside the neighbors gate that backs up to us last week. Ran back to get his gun but he was gone![emoji15] then he proceeds to tell me his brother killed a lot more deer than he did last year. Then talked to the next neighbor and he killed 5 deer. A 5 point, 7 point, and a couple of other bucks. At this point I'm disgusted and just leave, sucks to work that hard and then have neighbors that tell you they are poaching! The real bad part is, those are the only two neighbors I talked to. Add that to the guy my buddy bought a 4 wheeler from up here, that said he killed all of his big deer rattling back to back with his buddy with a spot light and rifle. Now It confuses me as to why they say all of these Texas hunters are messing up their hunting? For the record we have shot one mature buck off of our 400 acres in two years...Rant over!!

Last edited by Christianhuff; 10-08-2016, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Man, bitter sweet today. I had an awesome hunt with a pope and young 8 inside 20 yrds and two other young 8's going at it in the clover plot. The fed in it for over an hour and never looked at the free choice feeder 50yrds away. Very rewarding to see that after all of the work. Here is the crappy part, went out to meet my neighbors after being here a couple of years. Talked to one guy and he said he killed 6 deer last year and it was a slow year. 2 spikes, a big 10 point that came from our place before he shot him in his hay meadow, and no telling what else. Then he proceeds to tell me he saw a giant inside the neighbors gate that backs up to us last week. Ran back to get his gun but he was gone![emoji15] then he proceeds to tell me his brother killed a lot more deer than he did last year. Then talked to the next neighbor and he killed 5 deer. A 5 point, 7 point, and a couple of other bucks. At this point I'm disgusted and just leave, sucks to work that hard and then have neighbors that tell you they are poaching! The real bad part is, those are the only two neighbors I talked to. Add that to the guy my buddy bought a 4 wheeler from up here, that said he killed all of his big deer rattling back to back with his buddy with a spot light and rifle. Now It confuses me as to why they say all of these Texas hunters are messing up their hunting? For the record we have shot one mature buck off of our 400 acres in two years...Rant over!!

Take it to the game warden man, I know it sucks, but they won't stop unless they're caught. I hate poachers with a passion like no other probably has a lot to do with growing up in E Texas.

Comment

Do you need a General Hunting and Fur Bearers license to kill coyote in OK?

Comment

Well blood was spilt on our ranch. Had a good friend and employee up this evening to hunt a buck that's patterned like clockwork.

Right on cue the deer shows up at 6:30 and he smokes him. 5 or 6 yr old deer that we have quite a bit of history with.

Crazy part is when we found the buck..200 yds from the food plot.. he was missing his entire butt and one back hind/guts. Keep in mind the deer was shot an hour before. After we loaded him up we hear a mountain lion scream not to far away at all. Very spooky deal. I do believe it was a big cat that did the damage.

Here's the deer. Congrats chase!

Comment

Congrats to the young man! That's a heck of a tall tined buck. Gnarly looking tine on the right. Has character.

That scream will raise the hair on your neck in a heartbeat. I've heard it...close....before daylight. Let's say that I have a healthy respect.

Comment

Originally posted by PSE-Madman View Post
                we have 1-2 guys that are planning on going up this weekend. Ill be up the 7th-10th.

I plan to hit the screemin eagle in snow (now called the HWY 271 freedom tavern...lame name) that friday or saturday night anyone gonna be up and wanna get a beer?
                I pass by that place on my way to our lease. How far is your hunting spot from that tavern?

Comment

Awesome start so far and go tell the game warden on that idiot neighbor please!

Comment

Unfortunately what Christianhuff describes is a way of life for a lot of people in this neck of the woods. "That's the way Grandpappy did it, that's the way Daddy did it and by golly that's my right do I'm going to do it." Never mind that when Grandpappy or great GP did it it was because they had to shoot game to survive in this area and those days are loooong gone.

The game wardens know already, I'm sure. That said, I think it is worth a call to the GW.

Comment

East texas

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                      Take it to the game warden man, I know it sucks, but they won't stop unless they're caught. I hate poachers with a passion like no other probably has a lot to do with growing up in E Texas.
                      I grew up in East Texas, but like bonner said, those days are way gone.

Comment

Think I am going to approach like I do Kansas. Befriend as many neighbors as I can and try to and let them know that I dont hunt that way and maybe slowly change the way they look at hunting. I will give them all the doe meat, summer sausage, and whatever else they can eat and also let them know we keep a close eye on our place. Word gets around pretty quick with the locals what kind of landowner they are dealing with. Usually earn their respect and they will respect your place. Calling the game warden is just going to make them want to screw me any chance they get and unfortunately they are in the position they can do it. They are usually good people and these guys were no different. Hell I grew up hunting and shooting what and where we wanted, didn't make me a bad person, just didn't know any different. I have gained a lot more friends than enemies in Kansas and hope to do the same here. But will let them know I am every bit as crazy and redneck as they are!:-)
                        Last edited by Christianhuff; 10-09-2016, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Think I am going to approach like I do Kansas. Befriend as many neighbors as I can and try to and let them know that I dont hunt that way and maybe slowly change the way they look at hunting. I will give them all the doe meat, summer sausage, and whatever else they can eat and also let them know we keep a close eye on our place. Word gets around pretty quick with the locals what kind of landowner they are dealing with. Usually earn their respect and they will respect your place. Calling the game warden is just going to make them want to screw me any chance they get and unfortunately they are in the position they can do it. They are usually good people and these guys were no different. Hell I grew up hunting and shooting what and where we wanted, didn't make me a bad person, just didn't know any different. I have gained a lot more friends than enemies in Kansas and hope to do the same here. But will let them know I am every bit as crazy and redneck as they are!:-)
                          The only reason that there are good looking, maturing deer on my property in Hugo is because of the networking I've done with the neighbors. I was never quick to call the law and I'd get to know them, talk with them, and shake some hands. I'm sure some of that Summer sausage will help your case too

Comment

I wasn't gonna say anything but I think you're handling it the best way possible. They usually are good people but will get even if you cross them "in their minds" especially with calling the law. I've found that educating them about why we don't see more big bucks is because all the young ones are in the freezer, usually gets through. Unfortunately, you can't get to them all but as many as possible is better than none. Good luck!

Comment

[ATTACH]818008[/ATTACH] Got some nice pictures of this guy all shined up.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Some really good looking bucks this year. Hope you all connect with your target deer. Had a decent buck this past weekend show himself in day light. A long story short, pigs had him spooked. I had an opportunity to draw back as he trotted into a shooting lane. My arrow came un-nocked. When he leaves I go to let down my bow and roll the string off the cam. It was one heck of a three ring circus. On a good note, two pigs got eliminated this past weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1476115392.452866.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	24465762Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1476115409.062315.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	24465764

Comment

Working...
                                X