Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google is no help....so here's my electrical question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My house was built in the 30's maybe. A plumbing fixture I had to replace had a date of 1934 on it....
    Anyways my breaker box is in the outside of the house, on the side of the front corner......,

Comment

Originally posted by BonesandArrow View Post
      I don't see why a provider would let you put the meter inside the house or garage. I have never seen one done that way.

He said Meyer out side main inside

Yes it's legal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's legal in most counties, however I recommend contacting the city. The NEC varies by city.

Comment

That was like the shortest answer ever...., "NEC"

And this....

Comment

Originally posted by BonesandArrow View Post
            I don't see why a provider would let you put the meter inside the house or garage. I have never seen one done that way.
            I intend for the meter base and meter to be outside....

But now they don't even come by to read them anymore, they just drove by and catch the signal.

(We already have a meter on the property that services the barn and well and our little office, so the new meter will just be for the house itself)

Comment

Mine is inside the garage. Built the house in 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                I intend for the meter base and meter to be outside....

But now they don't even come by to read them anymore, they just drove by and catch the signal.

(We already have a meter on the property that services the barn and well and our little office, so the new meter will just be for the house itself)
                They are past that now in some areas, there are receivers on some of the main poles that read all the meters in a certain radius and then send the information back to the office.

Comment

The shower would be the most logical place...

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                    The shower would be the most logical place...
                    well, sure, but what if you are in the bathtub using the hair dryer (or a toaster) and a breaker trips?

then you gotta get out, walk to the shower, and flip it back on.

Comment

Just make sure you test it with your tongue and all should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                        well, sure, but what if you are in the bathtub using the hair dryer (or a toaster) and a breaker trips?

then you gotta get out, walk to the shower, and flip it back on.

You need one of the shower/tub combo deals

Comment

Google is no help....so here's my electrical question....

Originally posted by JP135 View Post
                          I just went through this on a new install. If you're outside the city (ie not subject to city fire codes) the electrical provider can tell you what they'll service and what they won't. My electrician got a diagram from the electrical service provider and set it up to meet their specs. The electrician says the provider in an unincorportated area is the 'local authority' and sets the specs. The electric co rep came out and said what the electricain told me was correct.

Long story short, if the electric co says its ok, it's ok.

Electricians, don't shoot the messenger. Just repeating what i was told by a guy who knows what he's talking about.

I would question whether your guy knows what he's talking about or not. The utility providers responsibility and jurisdiction stops at the meter base. Everything beyond that is customer property. Additionally they are under a completely different set of regulations.

To answer the phone he question, yes meter base and riser or underground outside on the wall nipple through the wall into the panel in the garage is perfectly acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            I would question whether your guy knows what he's talking about or not. The utility providers responsibility and jurisdiction stops at the meter base. Everything beyond that is customer property. Additionally they are under a completely different set of regulations.

To answer the phone he question, yes meter base and riser or underground outside on the wall nipple through the wall into the panel in the garage is perfectly acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            What Mike said above. Iy really doesn't matter if an "inspector" is going to look at it or not, you still want it done correctly. The TDLR governs all of Texas, even in the county. Don't let them catch ya doing electrical work without a license!

Comment

I've got one in a closet off the master bedroom and one in my garage.

Comment

I'm not saying you can't put a panel in the bedroom closet, I'm just saying you shouldn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X