Clearing Yaupon under Oaks..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clearing Yaupon under Oaks..

I have a pretty thick stand of yaupon underbrush throughout my property that is beginning to take over and growing under the canopies of oaks throughout my property. I had an arborist tell me not to run a tractor or skid steer to clear around the oaks, as it will damage the roots of the trees, and to clear by hand if at all possible. Two questions:

1) if you clear by hand/chainsaw/commercial weed eater how are you cutting low enough to the ground to prevent little stems sticking up everywhere?

2) if you are going to use equipment, what’s the best that won’t damage the oaks - tractor with grapple or brush hog, skid steer with mulcher, etc.?

Appreciate the feedback guys.

Loppers and machete.... unfortunately. I cut it back once or twice a year

Comment

Got to pull the roots or else it will be a constant problem.

Comment

Got any farmer buddies with goats or horses? Either one penned on a patch of brush will wipe it out as long as they're confined to that area.

Comment

I used a pole saw and chainsaw to clear under the oaks and pruned the oaks while I was at it. Then I used a mini excavator with a thumb to reach under the canopy and pull everything out and stack it away from the oak. The brush will come back if you don't treat it. I wouldn't spray it with any chemical that will leave residual in the soil. I think next time I will paint the brush cuts with a chemical right away to kill it.

Comment

I have no clue about the mowers damaging the root system to the oak trees, but I really don't see how that could happen. I think of it like mowing around trees in my yard, I've never killed one by mowing the grass. I am clearing under brush with a skid steer and brush cutter right now and it beats cutting with saws and weed eaters all day every day. My plan is to start running some goats once I'm done with the clearing. Also, a root grapple will tear that underbrush out with ease. I had a guy come out to my place and he quoted me $100 per hour to run his machine.

Comment

Cut it to the base. In a bucket mix half diesel half Remedy. Using a paint brush apply the mixture to cut bases. It will kill the holly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                Cut it to the base. In a bucket mix half diesel half Remedy. Using a paint brush apply the mixture to cut bases. It will kill the holly.
                Exactly what I was going to say. It’s time consuming the first time but it absolutely works.

If the trees are small enough you don’t even need to cut them. Just spray the base liberally and be done with it.

Comment

All great info and I appreciate the replies. I’m new to owning land and trying to learn as I go.

Comment

Comment

Is it hunting property or looking at property? If hunting, just leave it. The deer will thank you. If your oaks are post oaks, running equipment over the tops of the roots will definitely kill at least some of them.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                        Is it hunting property or looking at property? If hunting, just leave it. The deer will thank you. If your oaks are post oaks, running equipment over the tops of the roots will definitely kill at least some of them.

It’s a bit of both. Wanting to clear out the yaupon around the house and pond for looks, and then thin some of the other taller stands so that they don’t choke out the oaks. In several places, the yaupon is as tall as the oaks.

There are lots of post oaks.

Comment

It is a battle. Clear with limb loppers and poison new growth.
                          The oaks will have less competition and produce more mast.
                          Deer love harvesting the acorns under clean trees.
                          On my place the grapevines love the oaks and they are hard to keep cut where the yaupons are thick.
                          Worst part is hauling off the yaupon.

But it is a good winter time job. Not hot summer.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                            This ^^^^.

I was actually going to say just spray the youpon trunks with remedy and diesel and wait 6-12 months to cut, but if you are concerned about leaching this is probably a safer method. Put the mix on the stems within a few minutes, though.

Comment

Your best bet, and cheapest in the long run is to run a fire underneath the oaks. Yaupon is easily top-killed with fire. Resprouts can also be controlled with fire, but can also be sprayed as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X