• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fish

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
    Here is a picture of the San Saba river from the back porch:

Here is another picture of the San Saba river:
    How many yellow cat have yall caught out of this river? Looks like a great place for some throw lines.

Comment

To be honest, we haven't done much fishing in the river. We had some friends stay out there that caught some catfish, but they didn't throw out any lines or anything. I'm sure there are some big ones in there. Some of these pools are 12-15ft deep.

Comment

I have a question about our 3.5 acre food plot. It was looking great after the 2" of rain it got in late September but the warm temps and no rain for nearly 4 weeks has caused it to all to burn and turn brown. If it rains will it come back or is dead? We planted elbon Rye, wheat and oats.

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
          Good deal.

Congrats!!!!
          Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
            I have a question about our 3.5 acre food plot. It was looking great after the 2" of rain it got in late September but the warm temps and no rain for nearly 4 weeks has caused it to all to burn and turn brown. If it rains will it come back or is dead? We planted elbon Rye, wheat and oats.
            Have you checked for army worms? I was in Menard and Kimble Counties last weekend and there was quite a bit of moisture in the soil where I was. I ask about the worms because I saw quite a bit of wheat ground that the worms had gotten. They'll turn it yellow and it looks dead above the ground, but if there is still green going into the ground, it will often come back.

Comment

We haven't seen any worms in the two weekends we've been out there (10/13 & 10/20). Here are a couple of pictures of the field on 9/28 after received 2in of rain:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3837 (Medium).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	24515359

Name:	DSCN3838 (Medium).jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	24515360

Here are a couple of pictures I took this past weekend on 10/20:

Name:	IMG_7066 (Medium).jpg
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	24515361

Name:	IMG_7062 (Medium).jpg
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	24515362

Name:	IMG_7063 (Medium).jpg
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	24515363

Comment

Great place and thread!

Comment

What’s the latest date we could re-seed? I was going to try to broadcast elbon Rye and wheat on top of the plots and then take the disk and drag over the fields one time. We will only let the disk go in the soil around 1.5” to help cover the seed and then use the drag to smooth it out. I just want to make sure these two grains will still grow. From what I’ve read, we should be fine but I wanted to get yalls thoughts on this.

Comment

Water Trough Trail Cam Pictures

We set up a camera on one of our water troughs last time we were out there (10/22). I'm not sure why the time on the camera is off. I could have sworn that I set the time correctly, but I obviously didn't. Here are some pictures of the critters that showed up:

Name:	IMG_0120 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	24518874

Name:	IMG_0148 (Medium).jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	24518875

Name:	IMG_0264 (Medium).jpg
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	24518876

Name:	IMG_0508 (Medium).jpg
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	24518877

Name:	IMG_0527 (Medium).jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	24518878

Name:	IMG_0626 (Medium).jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	24518879

Name:	IMG_0762 (Medium).jpg
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	24518880

My twin brother was out there opening weekend of gun season and said it was really slow and really HOT. I really hope we have better luck in the weather department next time we are out there. So far this year, we have missed every cool front. It's been in the 90's every weekend we've been out there.

Comment

That is a cool water trough. I love this thread and all the pictures.

Comment

Well, i have given up on the food plots this year. It's been very dry this fall. We re-seeded with Elbon Rye and disked them under about an inch around the beginning of November but I doubt we get anything to come up with how dry it's been. We will be out there all week this week. We are hoping we can do some rattling and see some chasing. It seems the younger bucks are still dominating the feeders so we are corning all of the sendaros tomorrow heavily around the gun blinds to see if that will help attract does, which in turn could attract some bucks. Good luck to everyone this week/weekend. I will post some updates later this weekend.

Comment

11/24/2017 Update

My brother was able to get the old 8pt. He dressed out at 144lbs. He is a buck that we have pictures of going on 4 years and we though he was a 3.5yr old back when we first saw him (picture at the bottom).

Here are some pictures from last weekend.
                          3-acre food plot hasn't done well without any rain. That being said, there is still some elbon rye growing here and there. Hopefully we can get some moisture soon

Name:	DSCN4291 (Medium).jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	24521637

View from one of our gun blinds:

Name:	DSCN4282 (Medium).jpg
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	24521638

3.5yr old 8pt cruising and checking for does:

Name:	DSCN4303 (Medium).jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	24521639

Name:	DSCN4314 (Medium).jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	24521640

Does in 3-acre field. They were eating something because they grazed in the field for nearly 30-minutes.

Name:	DSCN4342 (Medium).jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	24521641

Here's a picture of the buck my brother shot this past weekend. Huge bodied buck for our area (144lbs dressed out):

Name:	IMG_7691 (Medium).jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	24521642

The first evening I saw a doe fawn try to jump our north fence and she got hung up in the top two strands of wire. I walked over to her and put my jacket over her head and held her tight against my legs until she calmed down and thankfully she calmed down fairly quickly. I was then able to lift her up and get her untangled. I would have cut the wire but I didn't have any wire cutters so I had to try something. She ran away without a limp. They are tough!

Comment

perfect buck to shoot!!!

Comment

congrats

Comment

Wow, 144 lbs dressed? That is a big deer for the area. Congrats! Place is looking great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X