2018 Bosque / McLennan County Yearly Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mexico70 View Post
    I guess I missed this thread last year so I got to post a pic of my sons beast he smoked last year with the old Mathews ![ATTACH]910099[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tell you son congrats, that’s a hammer toad of a buck. Central Texas Deer?

Rwc

Comment

Thanks ! And yes low fence west McLennan

Comment

Originally posted by mexico70 View Post
        Thanks ! And yes low fence west McLennan

Great McLennan County Deer.

Best of luck this season.

Rwc

Comment

I take the first left(fm217) north on hwy 6 out of Valley Mills going towards Gatesville. I always get my feed in Gatesville. I'll have to check them out. Thanks
          Originally posted by Rwc View Post
          I guess I'll start her off:

Well, for all of you central Bosque or western McLennan County hunters things are shaping up for a tremendous late spring early summer horn growth pattern. It has been many years since we have entered the late May cycle with such great habitat growth due to perfectly timed rain falls.

Late fall and early spring food plots are lush and still holding allot of palatable broadleaf varieties. Not to mention that once I shredded areas of thick oats, wheat and elbon rye the early broadcasted clover has taken off and is getting grazed daily. The crimson and arrow leaf clovers showing better growth when compared to the white and other. Also, allot of winter peas made it through the winter / spring grazing and are putting on good vine / leaf growth. Of course, the wheat, oats and elbon rye will hit maturity and brown up over night very soon.

The white salt stations are getting hammered and the mineral licks are looking more like hog wallows.

Additionally, with the lush habitat, fawn survival rates should be extremely good. …lots of places for does to leave the fawns in cover.

I have put out allot of fertilize around the drip line of two of my big acorn trees (1 White Oak and 1 Live Oak) that are located close to my lower river stand.

We know of 3 top end bucks that made it through February and have our fingers crossed leading into horn growth season. Breck, Ashton and I are waiting patiently to see how the bucks top out with our fingers crossed……..

Of course we are doing our best on the never ending war on hogs and at this time keeping them somewhat at bay. …really it’s just that the neighboring farmers corn and maize fields are starting to head / tassel so the hogs are now in those fields and not my plots…..

I will start to update this thread with trail cam photos as the summer grows heavy. Fill free to add your Bosque and or McLennan County off season experiences.

The May 19th rain dropped 3.1” on my Bosque River grounds.
          God Bless

Rwc

Comment

As everybody probably already knows. SMOKIES working hard in Valley Mills last weekend. I guess all the time...
            Also, if you're looking for some excellent bar-b-que chopped sandwich. The gentleman at the end of town by the school is excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by JANKEII View Post
              As everybody probably already knows. SMOKIES working hard in Valley Mills last weekend. I guess all the time...
              Also, if you're looking for some excellent bar-b-que chopped sandwich. The gentleman at the end of town by the school is excellent.
              Yes sir, Valley Mills PD takes that 30 mph speed zone very serious.........and you are right Mr. Sadler makes a mean bar-b-que sandwich.

Rwc

Comment

Great McLennan County Deer.

Best of luck this season.

Rwc

Thanks !

Comment

We sure need that rain cell to hold together until it passes Bosque County this morning, but is not looking good.......dad gum wives and weather....we have no control over!

Rwc

Comment

Mornin' Richard! Yep..watching the radar and keeping fingers crossed! Shouldn't be teasin' too many of your critters over. Cotton planted in the big bottom field. Neaked up on a couple of oinks in the field by the highway a couple weeks ago. When the ya-hoo's from the city show up, the deer that are around should head back your way!

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
                      I grew up in the Gap. It has some great hunting for sure. Had a lease between Clifton and the Gap hat was tremendous. Saw a couple of 140” deer regularly on camera but never in person. Gave up the lease due to landowner being a tad too difficult to deal with. Good luck this year
                      That you Shaun?

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
                        Mornin' Richard! Yep..watching the radar and keeping fingers crossed! Shouldn't be teasin' too many of your critters over. Cotton planted in the big bottom field. Neaked up on a couple of oinks in the field by the highway a couple weeks ago. When the ya-hoo's from the city show up, the deer that are around should head back your way!
                        Yes sir, I noticed that Cotton the other day. The milo and corn across the river and a tad west of me is looking real good and is loaded with game in it each afternoon.

Yell at me when you are out and about one evening and we can meet up. You have my permission to kill all those oinkers you sneak up on...ha ha

Rwc

Comment

Yes sir, Valley Mills PD takes that 30 mph speed zone very serious.........and you are right Mr. Sadler makes a mean bar-b-que sandwich.

Rwc
                          Its Clyde Pollard that own and runs C & K BBQ in Valley mills stop in and see him you will go back.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Flicker View Post
                            Its Clyde Pollard that own and runs C & K BBQ in Valley mills stop in and see him you will go back.
                            Good to know, appreciate it.

Rwc

Comment

Deer are pretty aggravated in my areas, majority of the corn is being cut for sileage with very little corn left in the field...........So they are now showing back up at the metal trees that drops unlimited yellow acorns multiple times a day.

Had my first wobbling fawn in McLennan County show up June 3 and my first on camera in Bosque County June 2.

Very dry on both grounds but weather guessers on T.V. are giving us a chance starting Sunday.

Will post some trail camera photos later.

God Bless
                              Rwc

Comment

Was on my Bosque River grounds yesterday and to say its dry would just insult the dust. River is down to a trickle between holes and fish are starting to pipe in oxygen.

As for as browse goes, not allot of palatable browse away from the river bank. Deer are really hitting the feeders hard. I would love to have trespass rights on the big maize / milo field across river from me. I would imagine it is loaded with game at night.

Trail cameras are showing approximately 13 bucks and 7 does on corn pretty religiously with only one doe bringing in her fawn. Did I mention, zero hogs on camera last three weeks..... thank you Lord.

I did check 3 easy to get to acorn trees and all had a gazillion acorn buds on them.

Hang in there, heat will be gone in late October....................

God Bless
                                Rwc
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X