Plastic Kayak Hull Repair??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastic Kayak Hull Repair??

I have a kayak that I love that has developed 2 small stress cracks in the bottom of the kayak next to the scupper holes. My 1st thought was fiberglass the cracks to waterproof them and add strength so they would not reform. But from what I have read on-line plastic and fiberglass don't mix. 2nd I looked at plastic welding but I am afraid that the crack will reform.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

The only thing I think of is Flex Seal but it’s certaintly not a permanent fix like you’re looking for. Somebody will probably be along that knows what they’re talking about.

Comment

I patched a 275 gallon water storage tank by plastic welding it. One Crack was about 2" long and the other was a puncture about the size of a dime. Then I covered the welds with a hard cure plastic epoxy. Been three years now and it never leaked. Both patches were in the lower part of the tank where there exposed to the most hydrostatic pressure. I was impressed.

Comment

See the links below. Austin Kayak Company should also have the mesh if you want to use that too. I recommend it. If you have a kayak shop locally, most offer repair services.

https://youtu.be/krj8QqubZJc

https://www.austinkayak.com/products...SABEgKNffD_BwE

Comment

There is a thread on here where a guy melted a 5 gallon bucket over a hole. Looks like it fused together really well.

Comment

Austin Kayak can fix them.

Comment

I got trimmings from AKC and used a heat gun to weld the plastic in. Worked fine.

Comment

So I got my kayak fixed! Bought a wood burning kit and used a lid from a plastic bucket and learned how to weld plastic. I welded up the cracks first then I embedded some wire screen mess first in the kayak hull to hopefully add some strength so this doesn't happen again. After that I put another layer of plastic over the wire mesh. Doesn't look pretty but it works. Should get me by for a while until I but a new kayak.

As a side note I found a hole in my other kayak. On the rear keel a small hole had developed from being dragged. It was an easy fix compared to the first one.

Comment

Comment

JBWeld a patch of similar plastic

Comment

Awesome. I remember welding our big wheels back together as a kid. The old hot-wheels plastic track made excellent "welding rods"

Comment

A while back I had a crack form in a ocean kayak. I contacted them and they sent me a few feet of plastic rod stuff. I used a heat gun and a little torch lighter. It wasnt the prettiest but it held....

Comment

Working...
                        X