Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coachroc View Post
    Go have some YellowHammers
    This! at Gillette's right down the street from Denny Bryant. Last time we were there they were like $10 for a half gallon and came with 2 free cups.

Rammer Jammer
    Last edited by Moose; 09-19-2018, 08:24 AM.

Comment

graduated in 2011 - Haven't been back in years, but will try to give some insight.
      Unless it has changed, Gallettes is the large prototypical college bar its old and has a lot of good miles on it, it gets packed, it gets dirty, but its home. It is next to the stadium and the Yellowhammers are good. Bear Trap was a little cleaner, this may be different now. Innisfree is downtown, and became the biggest competitor to Gallettes. Baumhower wings (Bob Baumhower) is a sports bar off the path but popular.
      BBQ:
      Archibald's - I have never been, but have always heard it is the best.
      Dreamland - went a few times. nothing to write home about.
      * Big Bad Wolf - this would be my pick if it is still there. It was always a gameday tent set up. which was always on the strip - kinda across from Gallettes in front of the Publix grocery store. This will be the easiest. I still think about their BBQ nachos all the time, and when I go back it will be a priority) - BBQ sandwhichs, etc. are good. good BBQ sauce.

Downtown - has a great feel to it, has some cleaner/nicer dives to hit up. Im sure they have many more options than the two: Chucks Fish and Depalmas - that were the go to when parents came to town.

Comment

First, if you drive in on I-20 do not stop from Livingston Al. until you get to Tuscaloosa. Not worth taking a chance, especially at night. Gas up etc before you get out of Ms.

The main place people set up tents etc. is on the Quad around Denny Chimes. Foster Auditorium and Plaza, where Gov. Wallace stood in the schoolhouse door. Are just SE of the Quad. Churches etc are in this area if you want to say a quick prayer before going to Bryant-Denny.

There are also people who set up in their tailgates in long time spots through campus. Just say hello and start talking football, hunting, BBQ or fried chicken and you will be welcomed.

Sorority Row is east of Bryant-Denny. Bryant Museum is farther east. Athletic facilities and offices are in that area. I guess the Trolleys will be running in these areas and to Downtown. Chuck’s, 5, Moe’s bbq and dePalma’s are restaurants downtown.
        If you come off I-20 on McFarland Blvd take a left(north). This runs you by Full Moon BBQ (pork plate, collards twice, beans, chow chow, slice of chocolate and sweet tea). Admittedly not Texas brisket but it ain’t bad. Obviously you will be dissatisfied with the brisket, so don’t order it. Just up the street is Taco Casa, fast food and NOT in the car food because they are messy.. MidTown SC is across the street and has Bob’s Victory Grill(Baumhower’s chain).
        Archibald’s for ribs. Across the river on MLK Drive in Northport. There is a Dreamland location in NP too but I’ve never been there. Billy’s Bar is in NP too but if you are married and your wife is with you, don’t go. There are a few places in that one that sell French hand sewn stuff, antiques and jewelry. Just don’t do it.

All of these places will have will have food trucks around the Quad but then I’ve never eaten anything from a food truck.

The historic location you need to see is on the Plaza in front of Bryant-Denny. The 1930 National Champions’ plaque and on a column on one of the East side gates a plaque on the column for the dedication of Denny Stadium. Coach Jess Neely’s name is on both. Coach Neely was Burnadell’s Head Coach!. There are some statues out there too but this is the real deal.
        SW corner of the stadium is Rama Jama’s . Across the Street from the stadium is the cemetery where Bert Bank, one of the Battling *******sof Bataan, is buried. Look towards the NE corner of the Cemetery and say a little prayer he was a good man.

You’ll find everything you want or don’t want on the Strip. If the game is delayed and runs late use your head and don’t wander too far off the main drag. Street lighting is not good in some neighborhoods.

More later

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
          Driving, eating, and sightseeing is not starting a thread on football.
          Headed down for the game...….lol.

I just like saying that when people start threads.

Deez tread gonna be whacked.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
            Headed down for the game...….lol.

I just like saying that when people start threads.

Deez tread gonna be whacked.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
            Now BoB, head on back over to the CFB Week 4 thread where football is talked. I and others have not said anything about the 40 on this thread.
            Plus we all know you put this stuff on Mueller's BBQ after it is served.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	24554363

Comment

You mean Bill Miller BBQ. LOL.

The Mueller family are Texas BBQ legends.

Comment

I knew I was going to get it wrong!

Comment

Working...
                X