No announcement yet.

Best steak cut. You're probably wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bone in Ribeye coated in olive oil and cooked medium rare over mesquite or hickory with salt, pepper, and Bill's Season All

Comment

I've become a fan of sirloin. We rarely ever have steak when we go out to eat. I'll buy a big sirloin and the kids, wife and I will share it. We season ours with a little McCormick season salt and Uncle Chris's seasoning. Never grill them more than medium.

Comment

Originally posted by COWDOG View Post
        No offense to Salt grass... but wait till you try a TRUE prime steak house.
        Agreed, especially when years ago they went to thinner ribeyes and higher prices. I like mine a LOT better.

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
          My favorite is a Porterhouse. You get both the New York strip and fillet in one steak.
          +1

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
            Agreed, especially when years ago they went to thinner ribeyes and higher prices. I like mine a LOT better.
            IIRC, that is when Landry's bought them.

Comment

The wife and I ate at Myron’s Prime steakhouse in New Braunfels this past weekend.

We both had a filet and I must say, it was a very good piece of beef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Meatloaf well done. Just kidding. Lol. Next steak I order or cook will be med rare. I'll let you guys know my opinion when I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                  What ever cut of steak, if it is a grass fed Angus/Wagyu cross beef that is hung and aged for a good time and then packaged it will beat anything in a restaurant or one you can buy in a store and you cook it to your likes!
                  Picking up a side of Angus/Wagyu grass fed cross the last of May!
                  Any chance to get in on a side of Angus/Wagyu?

Thanks

Comment

I always love the "anything over rare is ruined" crowd. I'm a meat eater, but not a fan of grubbing on anything that's still bleeding.

Comment

i just bought a cast iron skillet and did my first ribeye on it last night. i've been missing out. that montreal seasoning was crispy on the outside and even though i overcooked a bit to about med well, it was still awesome. i may try again this weekend, looking for medium rare.

Comment

Ribeye, medium rare. I actually prefer the slight additional texture a medium rare steak has over the looseness of rare. And I believe you gain a bit of the fat flavor by heating the inside just slightly. Course salt and light pepper, nothing else, except perhaps a light butter finish.

The best steakhouse in Houston is the tried and true Pappas Bros. There is no other correct answer.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                          i just bought a cast iron skillet and did my first ribeye on it last night. i've been missing out. that montreal seasoning was crispy on the outside and even though i overcooked a bit to about med well, it was still awesome. i may try again this weekend, looking for medium rare.
                          here is my advice --

Pre heat your oven to a smooth 450 degrees

Pre heat your cast iron as hot as the mf'er goes -- it needs to be rollin smoke

Take you a rib eye and sear it on both sides for roughly 1 minute per side

Take the cast iron and pop her in the oven for 4-7 minutes (depending on how you like your steak) and BAM -- one of the best steaks you can eat.

I haven't heard anyone else chime in on this-- but -- if you have a sous vide pod -- put your seasoned steak in the water bath for 3 hours at 131 degrees before doing the sear method as above and skip the oven part -- the best steak I have ever made and eaten.

Comment

Originally posted by JTRichardson View Post
                            here is my advice --

Pre heat your oven to a smooth 450 degrees

Pre heat your cast iron as hot as the mf'er goes -- it needs to be rollin smoke

Take you a rib eye and sear it on both sides for roughly 1 minute per side

Take the cast iron and pop her in the oven for 4-7 minutes (depending on how you like your steak) and BAM -- one of the best steaks you can eat.

I haven't heard anyone else chime in on this-- but -- if you have a sous vide pod -- put your seasoned steak in the water bath for 3 hours at 131 degrees before doing the sear method as above and skip the oven part -- the best steak I have ever made and eaten.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Evil View Post
                              Any chance to get in on a side of Angus/Wagyu?

Thanks
                              You might give the a call, but they told us it would be after the first of the year before they do anymore as far as processing. Evidently we got in on the last processing sides for this year.

Comment

Cattlemans is where i took my prom date before prom good stuff...
                                i like NY Strip or Filet, depends on the place cooking.

Comment

Working...
                                X