wild onions and milk cow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wild onions and milk cow

Started to notice the wild onions around the pasture.
    brings back memories of when I was in school.
    The milk cow would have a calf in September
    so I got to milk her from then to around this time of the year.
    Was always glad to see the wild onions because that would be the end of the milking until the next year. It was about time to take the calf to the locker plant for some very good meat. Kind of funny when I graduated from high school Dad decided the milk cow was too much trouble to fool with anymore

That was in 1965 my how fast time goes by

Originally posted by clay4626 View Post
    Started to notice the wild onions around the pasture.
    brings back memories of when I was in school.
    The milk cow would have a calf in September
    so I got to milk her from then to around this time of the year.
    Was always glad to see the wild onions because that would be the end of the milking until the next year. It was about time to take the calf to the locker plant for some very good meat. Kind of funny when I graduated from high school Dad decided the milk cow was too much trouble to fool with anymore

That was in 1965 my how fast time goes by
    Funny how that work haha. Im sure the timing was just a coincidence

Comment

bump any body else have to milk a cow by hand

Comment

I've done it a handful of times...but not daily...my great-grandparents ran a small dairy and it sounds like a horror story to me...except getting to eat fried chicken for breakfast since they had been awake 5 hours by 8am...365 days a year 7 days a week

Comment

When I was about 10 years old I followed my Great Grandpa Mustache down to the barn and watched him milk his old cow. They lived in Many, Louisiana in a dogtrot house and literally had 40 acres, a milk cow and a mule.

I was watching GG Mustache and saw that old cow squat and a little pee got in the bucket.

When we got back to the house I ran around telling all the family, "Don't drink the milk, don't drink the milk."

Comment

...every day, some is/has to be by hand. Currently getting 70-71 pounds per cow per day average ( some over 125). Your forearm would explode

Comment

Many, many times as a kid growing up in NC.

Comment

We would occasionally have to to feed a new calf that Mama would't let nurse. I remember the nasty tail slaps to the back of the head.

Comment

Not every day like you. My uncle had a small farm in SW PA. When I was kid I would stay with them a month or so in the summer and I did. It was worth it to me because he would let me ride a horse in the afternoons.

Comment

Had to do it for my grandfather when they would take off for a few days.

Comment

Just think, for all that hard work to get a gallon of raw milk at current prices you saved $1.22..... of course it took $1.15 in feed to make it, but still a heck of a savings!

Comment

Not as a daily routine but have had to do it on a momma whose calf wouldn't suck so we would milk her to drench the calf with the colostrum.

Comment

we had a city girl come out to milk a cow and I gave her a bucket and said the cows in the barn. she came out after a good while and said it took alot of work but she finally got a bucket full. then the bull came out shaking with his eyes rolled back in his head

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
                            we had a city girl come out to milk a cow and I gave her a bucket and said the cows in the barn. she came out after a good while and said it took alot of work but she finally got a bucket full. then the bull came out shaking with his eyes rolled back in his head
                            smoking a cigarette?

Comment

Yep worked on a ranch in high school in the summers and then after i was out. We had a dairy cow we would milk in the mornings to bottle feed orphan calves.

Comment

Working...
                              X