Does anyone usually not see deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
    It doesn't help that most people around here aren't interested in management. Everyone on the lease, except for me, are only interested in the meat. I've seen pictures over the years of young bucks taken that didn't look legal, but was told they were. I wasn't there to measure. Lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    That’s a bummer. I think next year I’ll be looking for a lease.

Comment

Having said all that...a 4 point just walked through out of range. Never even thought about stopping at the feeder!

Comment

Northeast Texas can be tough. See deer maybe every other sit. Get shooters on camera but rarely do we see them while hunting. There’s camp does at the feeder behind the cabin right now, though.

Comment

Our place was similar until we started panting lots of oats and enlarged our feed pens to 64’. Now we see deer every sit after just a few years and improvements. If it’s open land you have to find a way to make it stand out from the rest. Food...

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
            I hunt close to 1000 acres in East Texas. The property is shaped in a way that there isn't really any way to hold deer on just this place without building a high fence. Most of the properties bordering it are small 10 - 50 acre tracts that are hunted also. Today is the 7th day for me to hunt this year. I saw 1 very small deer last Sunday, and it was out of range. Had a deer blow behind me this morning, but never saw it. I feed year round and have food plots also. I sat 11 days last year before I saw my first deer.

That's crazy to think of in Cherokee county, seems like every big buck I see on social media from East Texas is from Cherokee county.

Comment

Every place is different. It's not that you're doing something wrong but if sitting in one spot waiting for a deer to come to you it might be a waste of time. Depends on deer density and pressure on the place. I'd say get out and hunt different areas and change up what you're doing to improve your chances of seeing deer.

Comment

The etx place I hunt can be hit or miss. We hunt 200+ acres and the deer are on about a 3-4 day cycle it seems. We’ve learned how to hunt it and have taken mature deer every year for the last 5 but it can be a grueling grind at times.

I had one spot in trinity/groveton area that I got 1 daylight pic of a deer all year long. I never even hunted it for that reason. The 1 pic was of a gnarly cull that would’ve made it on the wall. Really unique 6pt.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                  That's crazy to think of in Cherokee county, seems like every big buck I see on social media from East Texas is from Cherokee county.
                  I've killed 2 high 120's, but not on this place. There are several MLD places around here that produce really nice 150-170+ deer.

Comment

I hunt south east Texas and use to just throw hand corn and wait for them to come to me. Now I do more digging, setting up on trails, scrapes, big white oaks near where I believe they bed.
                    My best investment was buying multiple cameras and buying multiple stands. If I find a trail I’ll set up a camera on it and let it due the work if it has good activity then I’ll hand a stand and hunt. I very rarely don’t see deer unless I’m just sitting over corn waiting for them to corn to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bet I see deer 1 every 6-7 sits.. and I'm over it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by hully1029; 10-12-2019, 08:04 AM.

Comment

That’s why it takes hunting them year round before you finally kill one in east Texas

Our place is the same. Don’t always see deer every sit. Our place is very thick & hard areas to get good visibility without a lot of work on clearing out areas. Have a few natural open areas. Sometimes it just takes several sits

Comment

We almost never see deer. I haven’t seen a legal buck in 6 years. Haven’t seen one on camera this year. My son gages a good year on how many deer we SEE! A good season to him is seeing a half a dozen deer. The only shot opportunity he had last year was a button buck that I obviously said no to, a little four point a couple of times and a doe after doe season was over... so nothing he could actually shoot. I really enjoy spending time with him and he is still excited about hunting so I roll with it but the actual hunting is extremely frustrating.

Lease is close to home (was a requirement when I got on it due to being on call back then) is a cool place with year round access and a great group of guys I feel good about my boy spending time with and is cheap so we will stick with it!
                          Last edited by Cantcatch5; 10-12-2019, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
                            Lease is close to home (was a requirement when I got on it due to being on call back then) is a cool place with year round access and cheap so we will stick with it!
                            This is pretty much my thing also, so I don't complain...much. I could travel an extra hour and spend an extra $1000 to get good deer and better population. It's hard to beat about 30 minutes from my house to the stand less than 10 miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonErickson7 View Post
                              I hunt south east Texas and use to just throw hand corn and wait for them to come to me. Now I do more digging, setting up on trails, scrapes, big white oaks near where I believe they bed.
                              My best investment was buying multiple cameras and buying multiple stands. If I find a trail I’ll set up a camera on it and let it due the work if it has good activity then I’ll hand a stand and hunt. I very rarely don’t see deer unless I’m just sitting over corn waiting for them to corn to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                              If you are not seeing deer you are doing something wrong. I'm in east tx and I could have killed multiple legal deer every sit so far this year with archery equipment. That said I'm hunting stands where cameras tell me deer are coming Every day and only with the wind right to hunt there. Multiple set ups for different conditions. To Heck with sitting and not seeing deer.
                              Exactly.

Comment

Have you used google earth to try and locate game trails?

Most deer are creatures of habit. With limited cover you will have to provide other reasons to come on your property.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X