My Protein Feeding Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bollomb View Post
    This is the route I currently go and seems to work well. Keeping feeders full and going free choice 6 solid months instead of just somewhat keeping feeders filled for a yr sounded better to us.
    For the record, we're required to feed protein February thru September. That's 8 months, including the high-stress periods of the summer heat.

I'd like to hear more because it sounds like you are giving them everything they could want or need during the times they need it most. How many deer are you feeding? How many pounds? How many acres? How many people footing the bill (if that's not too personal)? Details man!
    Last edited by hammer63; 01-15-2016, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hammer63 View Post
      I'd like to hear more because it sounds like you are giving them everything they could want or need during the times they need it most. How many deer are you feeding? How many pounds? How many acres? How many people footing the bill (if that's not too personal)? Details man!
      1200 acres in east texas. currently have 5 protein stations totaling 3000 lbs out at any given time. we fed 12k lbs last yr split between 2 guys. This yr we made the whole lease mandatory feb-october. Will be 5 guys footing the bill this yr. Guessing somewhere between 25-30 deer consistently hitting the protein. We feed corn july through end of the deer season

Comment

1200 acres in east texas. currently have 5 protein stations totaling 3000 lbs out at any given time. we fed 12k lbs last yr split between 2 guys. This yr we made the whole lease mandatory feb-october. Will be 5 guys footing the bill this yr. Guessing somewhere between 25-30 deer consistently hitting the protein. We feed corn july through end of the deer season
        Looks like your joint efforts, deer density and protein consumption rate make it a lot more affordable than mine. I fed about 18K pounds on 400 acres between Jan. and October, then 2K pounds during season as an attractant.

Lots of variables to consider in the strategy. Good stuff!

Comment

Looks like your joint efforts, deer density and protein consumption rate make it a lot more affordable than mine. I fed about 18K pounds on 400 acres between Jan. and October, then 2K pounds during season as an attractant.

Right. The deer out there empty a 2k# feeder in less than a month.

Comment

True story! Deer density has a lot to do with it. We are also starting our 3rd yr going this route.. I have noticed every yr more n more deer grow accustomed to eating it.

Comment

True story! Deer density has a lot to do with it. We are also starting our 3rd yr going this route.. I have noticed every yr more n more deer grow accustomed to eating it.
              Well, I applaud your efforts.

Comment

I run a similar strategy on a 450 acre pasture with about half your density.

I know on such a small pasture that I'm feeding deer for other people and along with feeding coons at night is why I run my timer similar to yours. I don't have the normal heaviest of hunting pressure, only two feeders on my western fence line...

I've had good success with getting deer to 4.5 years old and beyond which is why I supply the protein...I'm a believer that good food, water, cover and LOOOOW pressure is key to holding deer on the property.

I'm planning to add another protein feeder next month and will feed the same program.

Comment

What's YOUR feeding strategy? Do you keep feed available 24/7 and never let the feeders run out or do you just shoot your mouth off telling people the obvious while you do something different?

Trouble with reading comprehension or just stupid? .
                  I feed protein Jan-October free choice in 2 1000 lb feeders, and run 3-5 corn feeder from Aug-end of season and then only running 2 now for hogs with 1 feeding at night.

And yes I don't let them go empty. During peak of summer protein will last 3-4 weeks.

I do not have trouble reading thanks and before you say something about money I guarantee I make way less then you and only own/feed less then 175 acres.

I just know free choice is the way to go. If budget is an issue, take out 25% of the feed stations and feed free choice at the others and it will all equal out to the same amount of feed/money

Just trying to help old timer
                  Last edited by gingib; 01-21-2016, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Not arguing or stirring the pot here but not sure how much of a difference you will see in your strategy. I have hunted all over the state, one lease I am on north of Brady is 650 acres. In one morning hunt 4 people have seen the same bucks on different corners of the lease so on a 400 acre lease those deer will venture across the fence. In fact a lot of the big bucks we kill are shot the first time being seen meaning that those deer came from the neighbors property. And none of our stands or feeders are closer than 250 yards from a neighbors fence.

You are not going to be able to manage genetics on a 400 acre low fence lease by targeting mature deer down to 2 year olds. The does make up half of the genetics so unless you can find a way to tell which doe is giving birth to the bucks with poor genetics and get rid of them then you will always have the same poor genetics. You may also consider feeding free choice from the middle of December when they are stressed the most until the end of February and then switch to your timed protein idea. This will also help the native vegetation time to get established.

I personally feed free choice year around on my little 12 acres in east Texas because I want all of the neighbors deer to feel safe here and not need to go anywhere else for food. On 12 acres last year I fed 9000 pounds of protein and 8000 pounds of corn. This week the deer are averaging 100 pounds of protein in 3 days with no photos of raccoons or hogs. I have around 30 different deer hitting my protein station.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
                      I personally feed free choice year around on my little 12 acres in east Texas because I want all of the neighbors deer to feel safe here and not need to go anywhere else for food. On 12 acres last year I fed 9000 pounds of protein and 8000 pounds of corn. This week the deer are averaging 100 pounds of protein in 3 days with no photos of raccoons or hogs. I have around 30 different deer hitting my protein station.
                      Wow, you spend over $3,000 feeding 12 acres. You would be dangerous with a couple hundred acres.

Comment

Not arguing or stirring the pot here but not sure how much of a difference you will see in your strategy. I have hunted all over the state, one lease I am on north of Brady is 650 acres. In one morning hunt 4 people have seen the same bucks on different corners of the lease so on a 400 acre lease those deer will venture across the fence. In fact a lot of the big bucks we kill are shot the first time being seen meaning that those deer came from the neighbors property. And none of our stands or feeders are closer than 250 yards from a neighbors fence.

You are not going to be able to manage genetics on a 400 acre low fence lease by targeting mature deer down to 2 year olds. The does make up half of the genetics so unless you can find a way to tell which doe is giving birth to the bucks with poor genetics and get rid of them then you will always have the same poor genetics. You may also consider feeding free choice from the middle of December when they are stressed the most until the end of February and then switch to your timed protein idea. This will also help the native vegetation time to get established.

Sorry Capt.Bryan, I may have left out the fact that I'm 400 aces of a 20K ranch and everyone feeds protein Feb. - Oct. Rules of being on the lease. And we are strictly managing for genetics...plenty of TBH'ers on the lease to attest to that.

Everyone on our lease complains about the amount of feed the deer will eat if left free choice...always complaining that their feeders run dry after 2-3 weeks. So, I'm still feeding the same amount as I did when I was free choice, I just use a little different approach in spreading my feed to the deer I want to have it more, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by huntex View Post
                          Wow, you spend over $3,000 feeding 12 acres. You would be dangerous with a couple hundred acres.
                          Yes the 3 local feed stores love me. Plus about 2 acres in food plots and all of my wife's shrubs and trees have been eaten down to sticks. Add in another 1000 pounds of rice bran and that's about it.

Comment

Being as Hammer already received a hater comment challenging him as trying to sell a product rather than share feeding data he had put together, I will answer KDOGS question for him. The Timer and mechanism can be adapted to the Boss Buck Brand Feeder. I have no skin in the game, but I would recommend you PM Hammer if you want more information. Haters are gonna hate.

Comment

I will mention again that in the data hammer shared the same amount of protein is being fed and available to the deer, and the deer have adapted their visitation times to fit when the feed is available. My protein is also being timer fed, and I had 2 mature bucks that were strictly noc-turnal and had not laid eyes on them in the daylight hours in 2 years. The first year on timed protein both deer became regular daylight visitors. They are smart, but also adapt in many cases, especially when their stomachs are involved. My deer like hammers had plenty of feed available to them during the stress periods. Points are also well taken on Free choice all the time, but for many of us, money quickly becomes a limiter. Kuddos to those that have an endless budget.

Comment

Im on hammer63's lease. It's 20k acres with around an average of 400 acres per hunter. Everyone feeds protein. Lots of deer. Lots of big deer. 2k #s of protein is gone in a couple weeks. It's expensive, and it's hard to keep the feeder full when it's 6 hours away. I assure you the protein and management program is paying off.

Comment

Working...
                                X